HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2011, 09:09 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
MM that's where I installed my ESC, it's a better location IMO and its easier to keep the wires either side the same length. I still managed to achieve CG ok having there also

jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:24 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Succesful MAIDEN...sort of..

Finally did my maiden yesterday and it sort of was a success...let me explain. After 2 weeks my cut up finger is healing to a point where I can atleast use my right hand plus the weather was finally acceptable, so me and some mates went out for a fly.

I was to maiden my HUN and GWS P40 and he was maidening his Lander Hunter. P40 was first and after some probs with the gear I decided to just ditch em and go straight for the hand launch ......bit of a butt clincher but got her up, trimmed and down in one piece so far 1/1

Next Pete put his Hunter up which was very anti climatic, trimmed her out and she flew wonderfully. We were both surprised as that thing seems quite heavy for its size and upon doing a stall test she can really slow down to a crawl....ok 2/2 pretty darn good!

Then it was my turn again this time with the Hun. Off she went and the roll out was slightly longer than expected (about 70-80m) compared to my FlyFly F86 (30-40m) but off she went, got some altitude and began trimming her out. Got that done and then noticed 2 things, the modification I did to the cheater seems to affect the low end thrust but has the reverse effect on the top end. Considering I had all the ordnance on PLUS an extra 2 hard points with 4 sidewinders I was expecting this to be quite slow with all the drag but to my surprise she is actually quite quick once she gets on step I'd estimate 85mph which makes me wonder how much quicker I could get her if I removed the ordnance
I really don't care as she looks quite nasty cruising around with all the gear hanging off underneath They only thing I did notice is she likes to drag her tail a little on the turns unless you keep up the speed.

So 3/3 maidens and everyone's happy yes???...well we should be

Pete took his hunter up again, all good, I took my Hun up again, all good...I then went for flight number 3....

All ready to go, did ground check, took off and away she went. About 100m after she took off I went to turn and...nothing NO AILERON CONTROL!!! quickly moved elevator and she pitched up and down ok so tried roll and still nothing
By this point I'm fast running out of field and heading for a road, luckily there's alot more field over the other side however I couldn't see that far as it's now a good 400-500 meters away. I then decided to kill throttle and point her straight down, I thought I'd rather kiss dirt than potentially a car, so down she went and at the last second I flared and she came down flat 50m short of the road....PHEW!

Upon inspection the only damage were the breaking off of the fins from the tanks..that's it! Looking at the wiring inside and noticed the servo extension lead for the ailerons had come apart how this managed to break connection straight after takeoff is anyones guess (and NO battery didn't/can't move in flight) well I re-connected, put tape around it and all was good

Still had plenty in the battery so went up again and she flew nicely.

I had one battery left and decided to finish off the day with her. Take of was nice, did some great high speed passes and all was going BEAUTIFULLY I then decided to do 1 more pass before circling around for my final and then it happened again.....NO AILERON CONTROL!!! W. T. F.!!!

This was in a different section of airspace, again, a good distance away from me, and again heading towards another road the problem was this time I had less time and space to get her down...I was heading towards the road
At the last moment I decided to throttle up and go over the road and then deal with any consequences that came, I thought I'd rather hit a tree, house etc than a moving car and potentially cause a road accident.

Now for those who might be think 'why would he be flying so close to roads?' well the reality is where I was flying is actually VERY large and open as it's an old horse race course. Probably around 800m wide by over 1km long and I only fly in less than half that space and we take off from near the middle.

Well I started running to where I thought my plane was and walking around jiggling the sticks I heard her, found her and looking up there she was on a roof of a two story apartment with the tail kinda hanging off the edge a bit. It landed on the roof and into some chimney stacks which kinda acted like a net and stopped it from going anywhere. After much stuffing around I got a long enough ladder and salvaged her.

Initial Damage Report: Starboard wing completely broken off at fuse, Port wing cracked with compression where it meets the fuse. All but 2 of the ordnance broken off, canopy damaged, vertical stabiliser cleanly broken off.

Looking at the plane she looks repairable with most of the work needed in re-fixing and reinforcing the wings to the fuse. The most troubling thing is that looking back at the suspect aileron extension wire, it was still connected perfectly which tells me the problem was elsewhere....but where
I'm going to have to go completely through all the wiring again which will be hard now that she's assembled...kinda, but this time I will be installing RUDDER, atleast that way I'll have some kinda of added insurance against anything like this happening again. With over 30 builds this is the first time anything like this as happened which is why it's a bit I'm kinda hoping to take the fuse apart and find a broken connection somewhere but until then it all quite disheartening I know in retrospect in my unluckyness I was kinda lucky as the only damage was to the plane and pride but it's amazing how much one can be scared when you can have a what is practically a flying missile, and suddenly have no control over it. It probably doesn't sound very bad but experiencing it really is one of the worst things and I would not wish it upon anyone.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:00 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
I kind of like running twin aileron servos on seperate channels just in case one comes undone. i have twin Elevators on the f86 but i have not even started the f-100 yet so i dont know what im going to do yet. The manual looks to only require 3 servos???
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Last edited by lipoflyer; Aug 10, 2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:01 AM
France, Burgandy, Dijon
Joined Jun 2010
591 Posts
F100 FLYFLY..... progress

hello
Some views on the progress of the construction of the F100 ...... Paint - finishing .......

MADISONMaster
MADISONMaster is offline Find More Posts by MADISONMaster
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:41 PM
hotrod builder
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Well after alot of work fiberglassing and sanding for days here is the final paint. Just stripped the masking tape off a few minutes ago
usmc_VTOL_mech is offline Find More Posts by usmc_VTOL_mech
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:48 PM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
Ouh ra!!!!!!!!
Duke58 is offline Find More Posts by Duke58
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:01 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Aug 2009
8,630 Posts
Yippie cayaahy, M............

Don't suppose you'll be putting an efflux rc sticker on that one?

Looks great C.
efflux RC is offline Find More Posts by efflux RC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Updated blog Jan 2014
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:11 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc_VTOL_mech View Post
Well after alot of work fiberglassing and sanding for days here is the final paint. Just stripped the masking tape off a few minutes ago
Where is the colour? I hate it, looks like a green blob, probably the worse colour scheme for flying especially on gray day, sorry, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:11 PM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
joFro well you are entitled to your opinion I suppose....
It is painted after a real aircraft though

" probably the worse colour scheme for flying especially on gray day"

Actually i would think a GRAY aircraft would be worse
Last edited by usmc_VTOL_mech; Aug 12, 2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 07:25 PM
Lookout For The!Radio Silence.
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Nov 2007
5,800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Where is the colour? I hate it, looks like a green blob, probably the worse colour scheme for flying especially on gray day, sorry, Joe.
Hey Joe, can you show us a picture of the scheme you painted your F-100?
wingspan100 is offline Find More Posts by wingspan100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I really like this video:
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:30 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,868 Posts
That's a great looking Hun Marine!

I've seen some of jofro's jets, obviously the only taste he has is in his mouth.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:32 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
I love it!!!
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:01 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
I don't mind the scheme, I reckon it looks ok. Is underneath the same camo or is it all one colour?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 12:31 AM
hotrod builder
Joined Jun 2007
1,156 Posts
Jbc
The bottom side is an offwhite
It is painted to mimic the plane "Thor's Hammer"
I put some of the lettering on and the inflight refueling probe also is attached with magnets
Kc135 , Boogie
thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:39 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
No need to get upset guys, can't you handle bit if honest critique? Be a man. I'm taking it every day with my models at the fields, just brushing it off. Being a pro artist my life is a colour, it brightens my life. That model reminds me the monotonous colour scheme of today new houses being built, gray blobs because it is the cheapest paint to produce, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro