HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2011, 04:55 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
On a different note I noticed Madison installed a speed sensor on his. I also have a Eagletree speed sensor but I have not fixed it to any of my planes as I like to be able to test different models as I get them. For anyone looking to check speed on their jets, if you have a phone using Android or an I-phone then you can check your speed right there on the field My brother has this App on his Samsung Galaxy smartphone and I can say it works very well and super easy to use. Can also download it for windows http://www.rcspeedo.info/

RCSpeedo - Mobile Phone RC Plane Speedometer App (0 min 34 sec)
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:20 PM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,944 Posts
Thanks JBC! Just downloaded the app to my droid! Cant wait to test it this weekend!
MYC is offline Find More Posts by MYC
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:42 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Oh I might add, depending on video quality, if you have any videos already then you can put your phone up near the speaker of whatever is playing back the video and you can usually get a reading from that also providing there isn't too much background noise
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
That's fair enough, but I had a chuckle when I read what you said about vendors pushing their stuff without becoming site sponsors From my own experience I've found it rare to find a site sponsor that doesn't have every second one of their posts be some sort of advertisement for their site and when they're not, it's not uncommon to find one bagging another one or shooting em down in some way, don't see it as much on the prop plane threads but for some reason nearly all EDF threads have it happen, this one being no exception but honestly, in this case... I don't see the big deal. It's the only time I've seen this guy post that site on here, so what, who cares, how else are we to find out about these sites unless people posts links? if it becomes excessive then that's a different story and I'd be one of the first to report it to Mods, in this case it wasn't and was a one off in this thread plus he also posted a link to RC-castles site anyway. LOL I reckon if you went through mine or say Sandancers blogs for example, you'd think we were owners in Hobbyking by the amount of gear we get from em
Thanks a lot for your understand me. I am sure my Chinese is much better than all of you. I live in Hong Kong and there was easy for me to access to the factory in China as well as shops in Hong Kong. However, Hobbyking website is block in Hong Kong and China. Hard for me to get the info from them. I am a new comer in the forum and apologies for the negative feedback for posting the website. I will learn more for my ongoing posting.
Andyng is offline Find More Posts by Andyng
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:25 AM
Lookout For The!Radio Silence.
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Nov 2007
5,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyng View Post
I will learn more for my ongoing posting.
Shilling a website on your first and second posts are a red flag for sure.
It's better to join a conversation.
I lived in Wuhan for two years making model airplanes. My Mandarin Chinese is ok enough to get around.
wingspan100 is offline Find More Posts by wingspan100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I really like this video:
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:16 AM
Joined Jul 2011
23 Posts
I download the window-7 version and it is very interesting. How accurate of the software? It showing that my MiG-15 with max speed 164.6km/h and F-100 have 126km/h. Only WMV file working and not for MP4 file.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:23 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
It's fairly accurate software, to get the most accurate figure it's best to do 2 or 3 runs in both directions and then take an average. Also note it's measuring ground speed NOT airspeed.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:54 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,135 Posts
With the doppler speed applications it is important to have the outside air temperature to get the most accurate data.
Great tools for little $$$!
I had my RCCastle F100 arrive yesterday! Great price and quick shipping considering the past mail strike here in Canada. Very well packaged with only little damage to each aileron tip. A little hot water should fix that. The EPO foam paint job seems to have much better adhesion than my HTG EPO MIG15. That should save some refininshing work. Has the F100 always had the CF strip spar in each wing? They seem pretty strong but I'll add an arrowshaft or two to join both wing halves.
I've heard that this machine is nose heavy. I'm planning 6S 5000mah and the battery compartment seems to go waaay back into the fuselage. Isn't it deep enough??? Will build pretty stock except for beefier landing gear mounts and legs. Will use large HK servoless retracts to see how they hold up. Ordered some HTG struts and alloy wheels to allow grass flying. Love the set that came with my Mig and have added them to most of my other 90mm planes. Will also improve the flying stab mount and add large pin hinges on the other flying surfaces including flaps.
Andyng,
Thanks for your input! Please don't mind some of the less welcoming posters. The world needs more interest in large EDF's if we want these manufacturers and vendors to make it! Having built dozens of conventional balsa/fiberglass/foam composite models, I have to say I like these foamy jets the best. Quick to build, fly scale and don't break the bank.
Cheers Eric
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:16 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Eric I read all 3 threads on this plane and I haven't heard anyone complain of weak wings. I got the EPO version and was surprised how stiff they felt, I was going to add flat spar after I epoxied and joined them using the stock plywood joiners but when I finished the wing it was actually quite stiff and strong so am not going to worry about it.
I just got a pre-done canopy and pilots from HK which looks like they'll work ok with a little bit of modifying. Many guys have used the canopies from PFP which are nice but need alot of attention to make em look good and even though I don't mind spending a bit of extra time here and there making things look nice, spending a few hours on a canopy is not one of em...yep bit lazy like that
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:54 AM
Joined Jul 2011
23 Posts
My F-100 have more than 50 flight and the plane still alive and wing still OK. No need for inforcement of the wing except your over power a lot. I would recommend that the new HTG electric retract work much better than before. It seems that the motor/gear box changed and no more problem.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:00 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,135 Posts
I've had my share of trying to make the HTG electric retracts work. The brass drive tube just keeps stripping!
Andyng, do you know what is different on the "improved" units? Is the brass tube replaced by something else, or a better fitting thread? The price is better now but I just don't want to repair anymore.
I did buy the Parkflyerplastics cockpit and intake set but may just use the intake as the FF cockpit canopy is pretty good. My dad will do his magic to bring it to life! I still will add at least one arrow shaft when joining the two wing halves as it is so easy to do before joining.
Cheers
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:42 PM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
There's a fair bit of talk on the improved HTG retracts back in this thread, I'm using EPF DSR's so didn't really pay much attention.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:08 AM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
F-100 After-burner

OK, so it's not DF, but the FlyFly F-100 in pusher mode. Thought I'd show you the burner install just for fun. I suppose it could go in the DF also without too much interference.

The lights are from HK, on a push switch activated by a servo arm. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:31 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Nice work, that'll look pretty cool in the air
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:39 AM
Joined Jul 2011
23 Posts
4stripes, I have one brass drive tube stripping after a hard landing. It seems that no way to repair it and have to replace a new one. I have another 3 sets and still working fine. As long as the cost is not high and I will still to use it. They are now selling the landing gear unit individually and it worth to replace it if the cost is low.

My new project of the L-39 epoxy coated special edition completed and maiden successfully. I have started a new thread on this and will talk detail there.