Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:51 PM
Mil-Spec
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Mild thread highjack:

Can anyone tell me where the CG is at on this plane? I need to know it as a percentage of the wing root.

I just finished scratch building a F-100 and made a scale foam glider of my plane to determine the CG.
Maidened it today and I think (know) I'm way nose heavy.
I would just like to compare my jets CG to the Fly Fly F-100.

thanks
Julian
The wing is 500 mm wide at the root and the recommended CG in the manual is 265 mm from the wing root. So around 53%. I have heard of people moving back to around 290 mm as this thing does fly low energy and nose nose heavy at 265mm. Thats 58% if I have my math correct.

I would like to see what you build if you have any pictures....
mcgoughman is offline Find More Posts by mcgoughman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:59 PM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,891 Posts
Hey thanks mac.

Here's my build thread.

Julian
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:22 PM
Mil-Spec
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Maiden and then some

Hey, good to see some activity in this post. I finally maidened my F100 last week. Wind was 15 gusting about 20. No problem though, she flew great on the first flight. This thing in nose heavy.... and very low energy probably due to being nose heavy. Super easy to fly, almost no trim needed thanks to all the advice on this thread. Landings were piece of cake too!

I'm going to move my CG back about an inch as Sparks mentioned earlier in this thread. Hey Sparks, if your out there, did you ever bungee catapult this thing? I have my setup all ready just need to test the CG again and then I will launch her.

No video but I did download the CC Ice 100. Maxed out at 2455 watts amd 104 amps. I have to manage the throttle but wide open it might be going 75-80mph, bid draggy hunk of foam.. Looks great in the air. Speed and energy should improve a tiny bit with the CG corrections.

Also the EPF retracts worked flawless and super sturdy with the reinforcements. The fly fly 3mm wire was a bit marginal. I'm glad to hear that the new steel threded coupler is working for everyone.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:44 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
My buddy lengthened the cheater hole by about 1.5 inches and picked up another pound of thrust on his FLYFLY F-100
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:07 PM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
My buddy lengthened the cheater hole by about 1.5 inches and picked up another pound of thrust on his FLYFLY F-100
I'm sure there is more to that story??

What sort of reinforcing did you do for the epf retracts??
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Jun 22, 2010, 10:51 PM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twang View Post
I'm sure there is more to that story??

What sort of reinforcing did you do for the epf retracts??
I don't have the F-100, It's my buddy Vettster that has it. I have the FLYFLY F-86. On the exact same setups I was getting alot more thrust then he was on the F-100. Buffythesiant a few posts back says hes getting 6.5lbs of thrust at 3200 watts on 8S. I was getting the same thrust at 2300 watts on 7S in the F-86. When Vettster made the cheater hole bigger he picked up another pound of thrust.
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...&postcount=181
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Last edited by davecrash; Jun 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:16 PM
dccdmd
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2008
169 Posts
Mcgoughman- what motor are you running? I have the HET 600 37-2 which is what the guys at EJF suggested (also have a HET fan). It only pulls 60amps WOT on a bench test and 1350 Watts on 6S. My numbers are substantially less than your 2455 Watts....any thoughts?
dccdmd is offline Find More Posts by dccdmd
Old Jun 23, 2010, 01:46 AM
Mil-Spec
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccdmd View Post
Mcgoughman- what motor are you running? I have the HET 600 37-2 which is what the guys at EJF suggested (also have a HET fan). It only pulls 60amps WOT on a bench test and 1350 Watts on 6S. My numbers are substantially less than your 2455 Watts....any thoughts?
DC, I have the same motor you have but I am using the Fly Fly fan. That is the difference since the FF fan is more agressive. You just have to make sure you balance the impeller and spinner or it will self destruct..... Also the FF fan makes a nice sound too.

You have to run the heat sink on this combo and manage the throttle or the motor will get too hot and the internal fuse link will open.

Twang, I cut a slot just under the existing plywood with a dremel disk. I then inserted a 3/16 piece of ply. There is a lot of foam under the stock ply mount, so I just epoxied in a doubler and used longer larger screws. It is hard to see in the video posted earlier in this thread. On the mains I inserted 3/8" basswood deep into the foam against the spar.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:43 AM
dccdmd
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2008
169 Posts
Hey McGoughman - Thanks for the info...Actually I'm not using the supplied fan becuase EJF said it's not as good. So I went with the HET 9305.

http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=672

Any additional thoughts?
dccdmd is offline Find More Posts by dccdmd
Last edited by dccdmd; Jun 23, 2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:25 PM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoughman View Post
DC, I have the same motor you have but I am using the Fly Fly fan. That is the difference since the FF fan is more agressive. You just have to make sure you balance the impeller and spinner or it will self destruct..... Also the FF fan makes a nice sound too.

You have to run the heat sink on this combo and manage the throttle or the motor will get too hot and the internal fuse link will open.

Twang, I cut a slot just under the existing plywood with a dremel disk. I then inserted a 3/16 piece of ply. There is a lot of foam under the stock ply mount, so I just epoxied in a doubler and used longer larger screws. It is hard to see in the video posted earlier in this thread. On the mains I inserted 3/8" basswood deep into the foam against the spar.
Thanks.

Reading your engine fan comments, you may want to get a hold of a Wemotec Midi fan pro impellor and replace the Fly Fly one. You should see a bit more thrust and a dramatic reduction in Amp draw which will give you more flying time.
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:46 AM
Mil-Spec
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twang View Post
Thanks.

Reading your engine fan comments, you may want to get a hold of a Wemotec Midi fan pro impellor and replace the Fly Fly one. You should see a bit more thrust and a dramatic reduction in Amp draw which will give you more flying time.
Twang, I have heard that the FF fan is a poor clone of the Wemo fan. I need to find one and I will give it a try. I will probably open up the existing cheater hole also.

Thanks for the feedback.

DC, your Hun will fly fine as is. This thing is no speed demon, you may want to try the wemo fan also....
Old Jun 24, 2010, 09:43 AM
Joined Mar 2005
1,114 Posts
I have the midi still no speed demon. Flys and looks good though . Chucks hobby has the midi.

Tony
T-spin is offline Find More Posts by T-spin
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:25 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,934 Posts
I'm guessing this comes with the Haoye 90mm fan? Is it the one with the very aggressive 7 blades, or the one I see offered now on Hobbyking that looks like a Midi with 6 blades and a lot less pitch at the root (I wonder what the blade clearance is?) Well if so and you want to put in a Midi rotor, be advised that the Haoye fan housing is a couple of mm larger in diameter than the Wemotec Midi housing, so you'll have a larger gap and thus more losses than when using the Midi housing. I just received the Haoye 7blade 90mm fan and put the housing up against a Midi and the difference in size was clear. If I run a midi rotor in it I will probably add a ply liner to help close the gap a bit, or maybe some plastic sheet.

I bought the fan because the motor housing is larger and can accept an outrunner without rubbing like happens with the midi.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jun 24, 2010, 07:14 PM
Mil-Spec
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Waldrep View Post
I'm guessing this comes with the Haoye 90mm fan? Is it the one with the very aggressive 7 blades, or the one I see offered now on Hobbyking that looks like a Midi with 6 blades and a lot less pitch at the root (I wonder what the blade clearance is?) Well if so and you want to put in a Midi rotor, be advised that the Haoye fan housing is a couple of mm larger in diameter than the Wemotec Midi housing, so you'll have a larger gap and thus more losses than when using the Midi housing. I just received the Haoye 7blade 90mm fan and put the housing up against a Midi and the difference in size was clear. If I run a midi rotor in it I will probably add a ply liner to help close the gap a bit, or maybe some plastic sheet.

I bought the fan because the motor housing is larger and can accept an outrunner without rubbing like happens with the midi.
Ed you are right, the FF fan is an agressive 7 blade. Maybe even is a Haoye or similar clone. Mine flys good with this setup, so I think I will leave the fan be for now.

Thanks fo rthe info
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:13 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2005
178 Posts
I have the same set up as dccdmd in my F-86. The Het fan, same motor etc. and my numbers are 55 amps at WOT and 1280 watts. It moves the Sabre in a scale like manner. Blazing speed is not my prime concern and I think at these numbers I will see some longevity since nothing is being overtaxed. I am new at this EDF stuff and was striving for reliabilty as much as anything as I sterted out. It's all good fun...
Bob Byrnes is offline Find More Posts by Bob Byrnes