Joined Aug 2007
6,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyklotron View Post
Hi ,

I also have build an F-100 but I used oracover for the howl
airframe.
It is nearly finishd , here a few pics.
I have to say that I do like your color scheme. That tracover must be super low heat covering. I've tried using econo-kote film on a couple of foamy's and wound up blistering the foam underneath.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:50 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
, I’d rather just spend my time building and flying, not waiting for parts anyway.
I enjoy building myself. It's not a scale project but here's a little something I've been piddling with for a couple of months.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:02 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Hobby-Lobby and Jet Hanager Hobbies has Midi fans. I looked at EJF and couldn't find them. I guess he dropped them from his inventory.

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:48 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
I enjoy building myself. It's not a scale project but here's a little something I've been piddling with for a couple of months.
That is quite a project Bill, I'll check in to see how it turns out!

Kelvin, you are correct, and JH has an awesome set up, 10lbs of thrust on the 90mm! But it's $500! The fan is $73 and is no doubt worth it, maybe if I need more and have something worth spending the extra cash on I'll go with them.

Now remember I said I would try my luck at the burnt rear aluminum section? The colors don’t look right when you take a picture with florescent light at night, some are bleached out and others distorted, but you get the idea. My plane has what I call Stage Make-up, it looks good from a distance. So it’s a little more exaggerated, stand way back scale!

I just use electrical tape to mask with, I’m not spraying much paint at all so there is no over spray issues. I went over it with a mixture of silver and black to highlight the panels. Then some yellow brown, next some blue and finish with some Metallic purple. We’ll see how it looks on picture day outside!
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:58 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Very impressive.

I just got a Paasche VL and I'm having difficulties getting a nice blend between my colors on my FlyFly Mirage camo. I'm using Model Master Acrylic. I guess practice makes perfect.

I've got Photoshop Elements. If I bought a sheet of Mirage 1/48 decals could I scan those in and then scale them up to the size of the Mirage. I think the model it is roughly 1/9th scale.

Kelvin
Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:11 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
Looks Fantastic Dion!! Your nailing it down perfectly! I see you decided to go with my idea and use the SEA camo. Thats ok, just mail me a check for 20% of all the winnings Super Fantastic Really! Im about 2/3 of the way thru mine and am looking forward to doing that paint sceem.

Trev
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:20 AM
Epic Win or Epic Fail!
Kent, England.
Joined Dec 2001
815 Posts
I'm looking for a scheme at the moment preferably something a bit different, probably not USAF. Something more like Dutch or Turkish, something off-beat. Any suggestions/pictures?
awood12345 is offline Find More Posts by awood12345
Old Mar 23, 2010, 01:24 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin View Post
Very impressive.

I just got a Paasche VL and I'm having difficulties getting a nice blend between my colors on my FlyFly Mirage camo. I'm using Model Master Acrylic. I guess practice makes perfect.

I've got Photoshop Elements. If I bought a sheet of Mirage 1/48 decals could I scan those in and then scale them up to the size of the Mirage. I think the model it is roughly 1/9th scale.

Kelvin
Thanks Kelvin, post some pictures of what you are talking about and what airbrush you have, I may be able to help. The trick to a fine line and the blending of colors as on the tail pipe is a double action airbrush.

On the decals the answer is yes, you can scan at a super high resolution and then mess with them a little in a paint program for printing. Decal quality varies a bit, but most of it should be pretty usable. I just pulled mine off the internet.

Thanks Trev, but did you really have the SEA idea before I did? If you did, your plane should be done now!

awood, you could do this one, be a little easier, looks like it's all one color:
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Mar 24, 2010, 02:43 PM
Lafayette, In
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
Just finished F-100

I just finished my F-100.
Wt.-6.5#
Stock fan & motor on 6sx5000ma
Flyfly electric retracts
Sparks single place cockpit
Jack Brewer is offline Find More Posts by Jack Brewer
Old Mar 24, 2010, 04:12 PM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,794 Posts
I like the fact that fly fly have produced the F-100 but its not what i would have most wanted to have seen from fly fly. maybe we need a thread for everything we want to see from fly fly. My vote is a huge F-18
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Mar 24, 2010, 05:14 PM
Mil-Spec
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Sparks single pilot canopy

I went for the Sparks single pilot canopy on my Hun also. Nice work on the paint scheme, It looks great.

Not sure what I scheme I will do yet... I may stick with the original and if she is a good flyer I will smooth it out and go with a retro scheme from a late model fighter.

Should be flying in a couple of weeks.
mcgoughman is offline Find More Posts by mcgoughman
Old Mar 24, 2010, 05:30 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Hi Jack. Give us details on the electric retracts.

Kelvin
Old Mar 24, 2010, 05:38 PM
Joined Mar 2005
1,084 Posts
Thought I would show mine also. Just finished . Stock on the out side. Sparks cockpit , midi, Het 600-37-2, 100 amp Turnigy esc, 6s 5000, 602 retracts rudder. 6.5 lbs.
T-spin is offline Find More Posts by T-spin
Old Mar 24, 2010, 09:38 PM
Lafayette, In
Joined Dec 2003
410 Posts
retracts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvin View Post
Hi Jack. Give us details on the electric retracts.

Kelvin
These are the electric retracts that Flyfly offers. They are simple to install as they are the same basic unit as their fixed gear and as their air units. So one can interchange with what ever you have of Flyfly's.
I stripped the gear on 2 of them while messing around on a stand , I jammed them. the gear are an internal thread nut tube and a threaded shaft , very fine threads. So if one don't jam them while moving, they are fine. Good lockup and down. They operate on servo voltage and have a cycle button on the control box so they will operate without the radio being turned on.
I mounted the retracts on carbon plates to spread out the load instead of the plywood mts.
Jack Brewer is offline Find More Posts by Jack Brewer
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:57 PM
she`ll be apples mate
Germany/Bavaria
Joined Dec 2007
95 Posts
F-100 with lights

Hi,
now I got it nearly complete.
A picture of the leds.

The weight is 3750g with 6s 3700mAh

Markus
Zyklotron is offline Find More Posts by Zyklotron
Last edited by Zyklotron; Nov 22, 2013 at 03:45 AM.