HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:49 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
dude, thats going to look sooooooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:38 AM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,944 Posts
Dio,

Looking sweet man! Are you using the detail gun to paint the camo or have you switched to an airbrush? I ask b/c the size of the plane and limited flow of (my) airbrush.
MYC is offline Find More Posts by MYC
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:34 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,875 Posts
Sweet looking Hun Dion.
When doing VN camo paint jobs it helps to hum "Run through the jungle".

Julian
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:02 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYC View Post
Dio,

Looking sweet man! Are you using the detail gun to paint the camo or have you switched to an airbrush? I ask b/c the size of the plane and limited flow of (my) airbrush.
Thanks a bunch for the encouragement guys, it helps a lot because I can procrastinate so bad on projects! Julian, I'll definitely give that a try!

MYC, yes to paint a plane this size you need a full size detail gun to add the primer, but you are correct I switched to a small airbrush for the color. I also find that the smaller external mix single action air brushes can really lay down the paint, they work great for laying down the basic camo pattern. I then have a double action internal mix air brush for the detail that can really lay down a fine. This will come in handy when I detail the aft aluminum section.
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:20 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
577 Posts
Finished the basic colors, this plane looks better than I thought it would, I knew it had pretty good lines stock, but I just love the way it looks now. Iíll explain more about how I detail it as I go, that is when it will really pop!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:36 PM
Lookout For The!Radio Silence.
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Nov 2007
5,822 Posts
Lookin' good!
wingspan100 is offline Find More Posts by wingspan100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I really like this video:
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:40 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
drooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!
corsair nut is online now Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:49 PM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,944 Posts
from what I can see the cockpit is going to be awesome. Did you cover that part of the build somewhere? I thought I had been following this from the outset but my brain just aint what it used to be
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:00 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYC View Post
from what I can see the cockpit is going to be awesome. Did you cover that part of the build somewhere? I thought I had been following this from the outset but my brain just aint what it used to be

I think I posted something about my cockpit, but anyway I used the http://www.skylakemodels.com/ kit. I did slightly modify it by moving the rear seater 1” further back. You can see in the picture where the tub is modified. I then sanded some off of the pilot and seat until they cleared the canopy. Stock he was just to close to the instrument panel.
Last edited by Dionysus; Mar 14, 2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:24 PM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,944 Posts
You sir are an artist
Old Mar 16, 2010, 06:49 AM
Epic Win or Epic Fail!
Kent, England.
Joined Dec 2001
815 Posts
Woohoo! I just got a flyfly F-100. I plan to glass the airframe, a 6S flyfly setup and flyfly electric retracts. I'm not looking for mega performance just light and fun.

Has anyone braced thier wings, my friend lost his fly fly hawk thanks to the wing folding. I noticed the f-100 has carbon re-inforcement in the wing, is this satisfactory?

Whats is everyone doing to clean up the ducting, I'm thinking about removing the cheater hole and cleaning up the intake on mine.
awood12345 is offline Find More Posts by awood12345
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:43 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
577 Posts
Thanks MYC, glad you are enjoying my work!

Well look, we have another victim! Welcome awood12345! Congrats on joining the Hundreds club, I look forward to your progress, looks like you have a good build in front of you! Your goals are similar to mine, so Iíll see if I can help you with some of your questions.

The wing is fine the way it is, after glassing it becomes even more rigid. If you plan to move the main gear to a more scale location as I did then you will have to add some G-10 to the center section.

In my opinion (but Iím not an expert by any means) you will not want to do away with the cheater hole. The intake hole looks small, and then just before the fan the whole duct just opens up, this would seem to cause problems with airflow to me, it would slow down just before the fan if the cheater was closed. The retracts are light but fragile, I was going to use the mains to close the gear doors, but I donít want to stress them. I wanted to do more with the retracts, but with any scale project you have to decide when to quit detailing, plus I have time constraints on this project.

Iíve got the wing ready to prime but nasty weather just rolled in today, so I lost another day. But Iíll use today to make the decals, I am going to be printing everything on water slide decal paper. I have both white and clear paper, Iíll show more of that after I get started.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:50 PM
Epic Win or Epic Fail!
Kent, England.
Joined Dec 2001
815 Posts
Cheers for the info Dionysus, I've been following your build with interest.

A friend of mine specalised in ducting on full sized aircraft and he has given me some figures about effecient ducting so I'll see what can be done, but as you've said it may not be much. I've not looked in great detail at the ducting yet but I'm sure there could be some improvements.

I'm planning on a simple quick build, glassed and airbrushed with probably the only mods being dropping tanks and an LED afterburner as these are quick jobs.

I want to move the gear to be like yours but I don't think I can justify the time as I want to get it flying as soon as possible. (I have a long term FlyFly Mig29 project to fiddle with )

I'ld love a cockpit kit but I think I'll scratch build something as shipping to the uk takes ages and isn't exactly cheap. Found a good refrence site though:
http://f-100.org/hun043.shtml
awood12345 is offline Find More Posts by awood12345
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:17 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
577 Posts
Well good luck with your project awood, donít forget to post some pictures, Iím curious about the cheater hole myself.

Iíve been working hard on my plane, so Iíll just post some pictures and add descriptions below the pictures.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:28 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,530 Posts
Looks amazing Dionysus. I think FlyFly should sponsor you.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg