HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2010, 06:03 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Got ya davecrash, Iíll look at them and just make a call on the one I like, HET or Wemo.

Thanks corsair nut! Glad you approve of what Iím doing!

I donít want anyone to think Iím crazy or anything, but I just could not finish the wing without adding one last detail. I made a refueling probe and did some wind tunnel tests (mounted it to the side of my truck and drove at 85mph!) and it did really well for an aluminum tube that long with bends. Hardly any vibration at all, but I made it removable, so if it gets bent or I donít want to fly with it I have the choice. Iíll be finish sanding my wing now and getting it ready for the final steps! Iím very excited to paint this bad boy, itís been a while since Iíve had the old air brush out, itís going to be fun. Iím especially looking forward to the burnt metal area on the tail!
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2010, 08:09 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,268 Posts
Awsome Work Dion!! I just got mine yesturday, but work is busy now and I just dont have the energy to start on it.

Keep Posting,

Trev
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Mar 07, 2010, 01:11 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
If I fly the ARC 36-75-1 on 8s, Will anything expload or burn out. Has anyone ever flown with the ARC 36-75-1 on 8s. Is the 8s a mistake? becouse of overloading.
My Mirage on 3675 and 8 cells, 3000 watts with 5000mah 4s1p 25c packs:
THE ULTIMATE 8 CELL TOPGUN MIRAGE 2000 from EXTREME RADIO CONTROL (2 min 20 sec)

Very reliable setup, a friend is running the same setup in an F18 on 9s!
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Mar 07, 2010, 07:57 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Thanks Trev, Iíll be sure and keep you posted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgbXz1hfpNY

I think this is a good opportunity to discuss scale flight realism. Compare this video with the EDF Mirage vid. The smaller a model is and the faster it goes the smaller and more unrealistic it looks. My goal is scale realism, but for you speed guys, please donít take this the wrong way. You know what they say about opinions? The stock F-100ís flying slower and smoother look much larger than they really are, they have much more presence in the air and this makes them look more realistic. It all depends on what your goal is for a project, and it seems that most in this section are strictly into going as fast as possible, so I thought Iíd offer a different perspective for your consideration.
Old Mar 07, 2010, 08:05 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,268 Posts
Dion, the planes in your video were only using 3s

Trev
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2010, 08:07 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
My Mirage on 3675 and 8 cells, 3000 watts with 5000mah 4s1p 25c packs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dY1qoErdlc

Very reliable setup, a friend is running the same setup in an F18 on 9s!
Thanks for posting Extreme_RC, Looks like Ill be picking up a 36 75 1 in the near future.

Trevor
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2010, 01:54 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
dion, the planes in your video were only using 3s:d

trev
lol!
Old Mar 08, 2010, 12:14 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,760 Posts
Well the maximum level speed "clean" for a Mirage 2000 is around 2300-2400kmh, as the FlyFly is around 1/8th to 1/9th scale my Mirage is only doing 1952to 2196kmh, unfortunately I am unable to get to scale speed yet

At the other end of the scale is my scale(ish) AVON Sabre in Black Diamonds scheme, again around 1/8th scale, 1150kmh supposedly top speed, or 144kmh scale speed. Mine is doing 140kmh in the video below, nice and SCALE hehe...
Hobby TOPGUN F86 SABRE Extreme RC AUSTRALIA (3 min 47 sec)
Old Mar 08, 2010, 09:20 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Well the maximum level speed "clean" for a Mirage 2000 is around 2300-2400kmh, as the FlyFly is around 1/8th to 1/9th scale my Mirage is only doing 1952to 2196kmh, unfortunately I am unable to get to scale speed yet

At the other end of the scale is my scale(ish) AVON Sabre in Black Diamonds scheme, again around 1/8th scale, 1150kmh supposedly top speed, or 144kmh scale speed. Mine is doing 140kmh in the video below, nice and SCALE hehe...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcgxYGbhgwk
This will be fun, was it Dave Platt who said that itís not so important that it is scale, itís more important that it looks scale, Iím paraphrasing because I canít remember it exactly. Anyway, welcome to my domain! Letís look at the # for a minute and forget about how scale something looks.
The full scale Mirage has a wingspan of 29.96 ft and the model has a wingspan of 37.59.

29.96 x 12 = 359.92 / 9.6 = 37.49 so itís getting closer to 1/10 scale.

Full scale at 36,090ft could sustain 1,455mph or could make short bursts or a ďdashĒ of 1,550mph. It could hit 915mph at sea level in full afterburner for a short dash. At an altitude of 200ft it would only go about 690mph.

So at the altitude we fly our models the Mirage would look realistic flying at a much lower speed. For cruise if you wanted to fly scale you would fly at around 76mph! At full afterburner in your short dash mode you should fly at around 100mph. Your plane is easily flying 100mph to fast.

For an interesting and relevant discussion Iíll cover the # for our F-100 a little later, I want to get some serious work done on my plane right now!
Old Mar 09, 2010, 07:26 AM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,947 Posts
Mark, How many amps is the Arc pulling on 8s? That setup is with a Midi, right? I'm just trying to figure out what esc I can get away with. On 6s and a midi I have been using a Jeti77 but it doesn't seem like I'll be able to up the cell count without changing esc, right?

Thanks,
MYC...Mark
MYC is offline Find More Posts by MYC
Old Mar 09, 2010, 05:05 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,760 Posts
100+ amps dude, its a hungry setup with good batteries. 3000 watts is no problem with a pair of 5000mah 25c packs.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 01:38 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
Got mine today and except for two smashed wingtips and a a crushed lower wing panel where it installs on the plane I am happy. Robert @ EJF is having me new wings sent out but for now I can get the build going. I can at least start the airbrushing for the Thuderbird lines on the nose. This is one big airplane!!! Once fly fly gets the packing and shipping part down they will be a winner!
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:48 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Just to keep those watching my build up to date, so you know Iím not sleeping on the job, I am making progress!

I thin the Z-poxy 40 percent resin and 60 percent denatured alcohol. Now some might say, ďNever thin your RESINĒ! That may be true for some applications, those that are structural in nature, but not so for finishing. It is amazing how so little resin really stiffens the foam parts, if you try it youíll love it. After just one coat of thinned resin I filled the weave with a mixture of putty, spackle and water, then sanded smooth. The primer is regular water based flat house primer I got a Walmart, Iíll wet sand this to a super smooth finish.

I did run out of 3/4oz glass cloth, more will be here this afternoon, all I have to do is glass the top of the wing and itíll be ready for primer this weekend.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:04 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,851 Posts
that looks hell'a good man!!!!! i feel your pain...ive been wet sanding on my cougar all day! still more to go!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Mar 13, 2010, 06:00 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Thanks Corsair Nut! It did take some sanding, but since Iím not taking it to Top Gun I didnít worry about every little blemish, it is a foamy after all! Also when you thin the resin there is no need to sand it, just the primer basically.

She is getting paint people, and Iím pretty happy with it so far. I have to run tonight so I canít finish the medium green (where the white is now) but Iíll have the fuselage finished this weekend. I didnít want it this way but the wing is lagging a few days behind the fuselage.