HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:33 AM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,464 Posts
I will switch to soft cutoff. The 6S cutoff is at 18V, or 3V per cell, so it seems reasonable to me. Thanks for the feedback, ya'll!
ysolomon is online now Find More Posts by ysolomon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:24 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
224 Posts
I dont use a bec in mine I use a flight pack, but I have run out of battery while in flight and had to cycle the throtle to get it back to the runway ! Not a lot of fun but it was my fault for flying full throtle to long on only a 4000mah pack
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:31 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,464 Posts
In this case, soft cutoff might be much better for you, as it will "gracefully" reduce power, not requiring you to cycle. Sometimes, when you feel that you lost power, your instincts drive you to add power, and it is not very intuitive to actually reduce the power...

Meanwhile, with the parameters I have set--the thrust decreased to 3lb... What of my parameters could have been wrong? Timing? PWM frequency?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:50 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,464 Posts
This sucks... As I started playing with the parameters of the Suppo 200 ESC to figure out why I was not getting more than 4lb of thrust--it started smoking... Since I got the CC ICE 200 ESC back--I guess I will switch back to that one. I will try to do the transition quickly so I can possibly still fly this weekend.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:08 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,803 Posts
DOH...
Well, it shouldn't have ended up smoking no matter what setting you used. So I would suspect it had an issue all along. (or since the latest tests at least)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:17 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,464 Posts
That's what I'm thinking too. This thing was heating up even when the motor was not running. I wonder what happened... Either way--time to put the CC ICE 200 back in place...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Nov 2006
11,803 Posts
Sounds like some component failed.... shorted. Probably a FET.
Heat means current, and not running a motor means there should be little current.... so some fault created a circuit/path to create a current flow and thus heat (when not even being operated).
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:23 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,464 Posts
I only hope it's not the motor...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:23 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
were you programing it with the 6s batt hooked up? not sure if this is the esc erh was talking about but this is a common problem with suppo esc's, you are supposed to program them with a 2s batt or the esc overheats and fails. sounds like this is what happened, motor should be fine
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:27 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
This sucks... As I started playing with the parameters of the Suppo 200 ESC to figure out why I was not getting more than 4lb of thrust--it started smoking... Since I got the CC ICE 200 ESC back--I guess I will switch back to that one. I will try to do the transition quickly so I can possibly still fly this weekend.
You can't program them with more than a 2s...

I've had one for more than 2 years, today it over heated and cut off because I put more than 3000 watts through it with no airflow, I forgot I was just testing and left it running for more than a minute on the side...lot of heat

Cooled it off and it ran the motor fine

...it's a hidden quirk I wish they would put in a manual...

8s\120 amps for 30usd ....I can't complain too much its just that there are too many people finding the 2s thing out the hard way....
erh7771 is online now Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erh7771; Oct 24, 2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,803 Posts
Better add: "You can't program them with more than a 2s...".... or it will damage them if you stay in programming mode for long.

So anyway, it does sound like it fried. And now we know the likely reason why.

I never remember this issue, and lots of the HK ESC's are Suppo.... so I have done some fairly long programming sequences on various planes, using the main battery (eg 6S etc), but just luckily have not had it happen yet.

Is 3S known to fry them too? I guess I have some 2S batteries around somewhere.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:22 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,464 Posts
I guess that's exactly what happened, as this was a very long programming session, and I was doing it on 6S. I didn't know... Oh we'll, there goes $38... At least I have the ICE 200 to replace it. I'm glad I don't have a more serious problem than that.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:25 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,464 Posts
One more question-- the ICE 200 has an internal BEC. I do use the RClander lighting system, that has the throttle signal flow through it. Will there be any "conflict" with the power flowing through that connection? Or should I have a different connection that doesn't let the BEC power go into the lighting controller?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:32 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,803 Posts
Do you use a separate BEC?
If so that could work out well.....
Use the Separate BEC for the RC - make sure the CC200 does not get its power to the RX.
But DO have the CC200BEC line make it to the lighting system... that way the lighting system runs from the CC200 BEC, and leaves full Amp capability of the separate BEC for the RX/servos.

I expect you would:
1) Make a "Y" lead for the RX throttle channel (Ch3)
2) Cut the RED middle wire from one of the Y's branches so it does NOT get power from the RX. Leave 2cm or so of the red/middle wire from that Y branch's female output connector . (So you can solder to it after.)
This plug will go to the Lander lighting system.
3) Cut the RED middle wire from the CC200 throttle signal lead. This to cut its BEC source from going to the RX, but also so you can now solder that up to the Step2 Y branch that you left the 2cm for - thus sending the CC200 BEC to the Lander lighting system.
This CC200 signal lead power wire (which has its original plug on it - but no middle/red wire now) goes to the un-modified Y branch connector.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Nov 2006
11,803 Posts
Then there is another way you might do things, which I suspect might be useful for such a lighting system.....

You use CH3 - the standard throttle channel - to go to the CC200
You mix a spare channel from Ch3 and use that to go to the lighting system.
As per the post above, you still need to modify the leads so the red/middle wire going to the lighting system is coming from the cut CC200 red/middle wire - which is its BEC power.

You do this throttle mix because I expect you will find that the lander "brightness per throttle" ratio might not suit what the motor is doing. If you run just directly from the throttle you cannot "tune" the brightness to suit what throtte level, and/or sound level, you want it to act like.
With a mix you can adjust the curve of the brightness in reasonable detail so it all looks exactly right.

For example, I would expect it would look best if the lighting system was some lower brightness all the way until the throttle reached a high area, then goes very bright fast = afterburner.
Not just a linear brightness growth per throttle rise.
And also, it might go to full brightness already by 2/3 throttle if not mixed... something like that. Which I am sure is likely to be the case.
RCG Plus Member