Jan 22, 2010, 11:12 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
great mods! your doing what id do if it were mine! now you need that sparks single seat canopy!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut
great mods! your doing what id do if it were mine! now you need that sparks single seat canopy!
Thanks Corsair Nut! Maybe someone down the road will find some of what I’m doing useful and I may be entertaining a few out there also!

One problem and a big difference between the F-100 and F100F is that the F-100F was almost 3 feet longer in the nose section to accommodate a second seat. I've checked the 3 views and the Fly Fly version is very accurate. The single seat F-100's look much stubbier and in my opinion are not as sleek as the 2 seat version. I know to most it don't mean a thing, but it does to me, plus I like the F-100F better anyway.
Jan 23, 2010, 08:45 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
With the CG in front of rear landing gear,mine had a hard time rotating on takeoff.I lowered the rear 2 gears on mine ,setting a better angle of attack and this helped alot on take offs.I have a grass field so it needed all the help it could.Your mods are awsum btw!Watching and enjoying your build.Joe
Jan 23, 2010, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fh64_lucky
With the CG in front of rear landing gear,mine had a hard time rotating on takeoff.I lowered the rear 2 gears on mine ,setting a better angle of attack and this helped alot on take offs.I have a grass field so it needed all the help it could.Your mods are awsum btw!Watching and enjoying your build.Joe
Thanks Joe, Yea I loved your video, when you freeze the frame at your last low flyby it just looks so scale in the air.

I imagine that flaps would help for take-off, but looking at the gear mounts it appears as though the extra ply used that now makes the gear sit higher than the surface of the wing was an afterthought when they realized the gear were not strong enough. My gear will sit lower in the wing, I'm guessing yours is stock? So I will have a better AOA on take-off. I might have room to extend the nose strut, I'll look at it when I get her on her legs.
Jan 23, 2010, 04:06 PM
MYC
MYC
Inconceivable!
I wasn't having any of what you did here until I read "the wheels are in the exact location as the none scale stock set up because they are facing out."

Brilliant! This is one sweet mod Dionysus! Thanks for the idea.
Jan 23, 2010, 04:52 PM
Redneck Injuneer
My buddy sure does a nice job of shooting video (I think). That's just a way of saying I finally got to maiden mine today and it even came home in one piece.
Now if I just type the link right the video will be here
Jan 23, 2010, 04:54 PM
Insta: Check5_Av8r
Good looking Huns guys!
Jan 23, 2010, 05:05 PM
Lookout For The!Radio Silence.
Nice flight! Congratulations.
The landing gear looked great coming down
Jan 23, 2010, 05:45 PM
MYC
MYC
Inconceivable!
Bill, did it feel to you like the CG moved back when you dropped the gear? It kinda looked like the tail squatted down a bit when you dropped them. Great flight, it looks real smooth and scale like, not flightly like some of my smaller 70mm jets. It also looked like you could have even slowed her down more once you entered ground effect.

Great flight overall! Thanks for posting
Jan 23, 2010, 06:27 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYC
Bill, did it feel to you like the CG moved back when you dropped the gear? It kinda looked like the tail squatted down a bit when you dropped them. Great flight, it looks real smooth and scale like, not flightly like some of my smaller 70mm jets. It also looked like you could have even slowed her down more once you entered ground effect.

Great flight overall! Thanks for posting
Thanks for the compliments guys. It's not a bad flying bird, just a windy day.
I don't think the cg moved back when the gear came down. It should stay pretty close to the same in either position. The mains go in and out sideways, the nose gear comes forward when going down. Ordinarily I'd think that would make it more nose heavy but since the steering servo moves an inch or so to the rear when down they could cancel each other out?
I think the reason it balloned a little was from a wind gust that came through about the time I dropped the gear. It really wasn't what you call and ideal day for test flights. Wind was about 12-15 while it was flying but really close to down the chute. ESE on an west to east runway.
Mine is probably just a touch tail heavy to "recommended" settings too. I set it to balance on my thumb tips so that I could still see the marks made in the suggested setting. (probably 1/8-3/16" behind recommended). Makes the flying stabs a little more sensitive but that makes it easier to flare on landing and rotate on take off. (I shoulda went to low rate elevator when landing).
Jan 25, 2010, 10:42 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Just as a note. If you have the Fly Fly retracts and you run into a stripped tube like I did, EJF now has them in stock. http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=862
I went ahead and ordered a few to keep for spares.
Jan 25, 2010, 07:23 PM
Mil-Spec

Retracts for the Fly Fly F-100

I'm getting ready to push the button and order one of these but wanted to get some feedback on the retracts people are using.... Fly Fly electric or air, HET air, or spring air? This would be my first 90mm EDF.

I have seen some of the issues with the FF electrics, has the problem been resolved with these?

Great thread, thank you all for the great info.

Jan 25, 2010, 07:32 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
I have the HK servoless retracts and they work very good.I hope we have a decent weekend comming up,I changed out the bad Hacker ,and thanks to Probro Andy,I have a ARC 36-55-1.5 in there,I went from 900 watts on 7s to 1500 watts on 6s,and thats with worn out batteries...Should be even more fun to fly around.Not going at all for speed,just good thrust. Joe
Jan 25, 2010, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoughman
I'm getting ready to push the button and order one of these but wanted to get some feedback on the retracts people are using.... Fly Fly electric or air, HET air, or spring air? This would be my first 90mm EDF.

I have seen some of the issues with the FF electrics, has the problem been resolved with these?

Great thread, thank you all for the great info.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1170412

See Post 11

Tony
Jan 25, 2010, 08:10 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Spring air is now Robart aren't they?
Mike

Quick Reply