HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:54 PM
Mil-Spec
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Adding tail weight

Take a look at my previous post regarding the addition of tail weight. You could use this "secret" cavity to add weight or a LiFe receiver flight pack as I did.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1101

Good to see all the activity here . I'm getting a K&A composite F-100 soon so I will probably need to sell my FF F-100 soon to make room.
mcgoughman is offline Find More Posts by mcgoughman
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:08 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,848 Posts
That's a good way not to add dead weight!!!
But I hope the battery has a strap and not just relying on a magnet on that hatch that is underneath!! LOL (likely to have velcro on the battery, but even that is not great)
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:28 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
Yes, it is the RCL lighting system. And speaking of which:
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Last edited by ysolomon; Oct 15, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:57 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy579 View Post
cheers rush,def putting sme weight to her tail.any sugestions where i could or should place them??
cheers
rudy
Yeah what ysolomon said as rear as possible and epoxy it in you dont want to loose it in flight
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:59 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Yes, it is the RCL lighting system. And speaking of which:
Looking real good
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:35 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoughman View Post
Take a look at my previous post regarding the addition of tail weight. You could use this "secret" cavity to add weight or a LiFe receiver flight pack as I did.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1101

Good to see all the activity here . I'm getting a K&A composite F-100 soon so I will probably need to sell my FF F-100 soon to make room.
Sell it before you fly it, I wouldn't rely on your Elevator pivot wire installation not mentioning the batt., mention it to the buyer it will rip off in no time. I would use good 50x60mm 1/2mm ply wood to cover it, for the piece of mind, J.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:49 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,740 Posts
"Y" your burner light look very cool ..makes you want to night fly it
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:05 PM
Mil-Spec
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Sell it before you fly it, I wouldn't rely on your Elevator pivot wire installation not mentioning the batt., mention it to the buyer it will rip off in no time. I would use good 50x60mm 1/2mm ply wood to cover it, for the piece of mind, J.
Jo, I have over 40 successful flights on my F-100. I fact there are a couple of videos in this thread somewhere. All of my mods work great, the battery is very lite and is held in place with industrial Velcro in addition to aesthetic cover and safety pin. It is only a 1800 mah 2s LiFe pack. No problems with the stabilator either, it's upgraded with carbon fiber.

Thanks for your concern, happy flying !
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:15 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,353 Posts
mcgoughman,

all it takes is one flight where the velcro lets go... Any chance you can reinforce it?
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,848 Posts
High G's can 'make things happen' LOL. But it sounds like you either have done it, or tested for that, and it is all fine, or you just have not encountered it ever ... so far. hehe

I think JoFro meant the weak wire pivots the FlyFly's use (and on many of their planes). Versus you meaning CF to strengthen the elevators(?).
I am amazed those lousy small pivots even work adequately for anyone! And a few people have had flight problems from elevator flutter due to that whole systems weakness.
Once again.... something you will encounter at high G's and high speeds - which I guess those who don't see it don't reach those levels.

One problem with "It all works fine for me"... and whether 40 flights or not.... is that "it works for me" has zero true value. It becomes "It WORKED for me" once it fails. Just because something weak or inadequate DID work, for however long, does not mean it was truly adequate.
You generally find these things out when there is 'trouble' in a flight. Which is the worst time to find it out!! eg Something goes wrong (not this elevator thing) and the plane is out of control, or at high G's etc, and then (for eg) the elevator flutters madly, or folds, or rips off due to that. It crashes.... when it otherwise would have been totally recoverable. (depending on the initial loss of control causes etc)
THEN you found out what was truly inadequate, LOL.
(The same for the battery possibly ejecting - under conditions you never normally do intentionally - but not a lot of good to find out at that time!)

As long as the battery thing is assessed properly, and is adequate.... fine.

The elevators.... well that FlyFly stock setup really sucks! Probably fine enough IF the plane only ever flies 'sedately' and doesn't encounter some overly dramatic event.

JoFro also has a 'faster than average' F-100 (8S), which means he probably cares more for such issues to ensure it will work reliably.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgoughman View Post
Jo, I have over 40 successful flights on my F-100. I fact there are a couple of videos in this thread somewhere. All of my mods work great, the battery is very lite and is held in place with industrial Velcro in addition to aesthetic cover and safety pin. It is only a 1800 mah 2s LiFe pack. No problems with the stabilator either, it's upgraded with carbon fiber.

Thanks for your concern, happy flying !
Hi Guys, I was only refering to the fitment of above's 3mm "L-shape" pivot wire while looking at his 3 pictures in post #2056. Also, while looking closer at those pics it doesn't look like it left the groung at that point of his build so I very much doubt it did 40 flights.
You can imagine the loads on that tiny area during some manouvers. In my 12S build I have upgraded the wire to 4mm and imbeded it in foam more then twice the size of the original design. Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,935 Posts
You can make fun of the stock setup but it is working fine for my F100. About 40 flights so far with 1/2 in the 25-2600 watt range. With careful installation it will work for most setups. Sure some will want 8 or 10S with 3000 watts+ but perhaps then a foamy needs reinforcing in many more areas as well.
My F100 is almost 4.5kg with the fuel tanks.
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:35 PM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
most of my build is the flyfly stuff that came with the kit,got the stock elevator blocks and pivots,stock wheels (that are guna go after the second landing i reckon) etc.. have reinforced where i thought and been advised and that's it,got the missiles?? that are guna be fitted with rare magnets,by the way as i'm def not after a speed demon does those missiles make the jet fly funny?i read earlier that it made it yaw that needed rudder to correct .haven't flown it yet but from the looks of it it mite be tommorow or saturday morning
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:14 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,848 Posts
Oh yeah, the FlyFly stock wheels (again used on most of their planes)...
Plastic junk hubs just waiting to explode!! (and do)
Can occur either from too much sideways force on them, or the metal bush overheats and weakens/destroys the plastic hub then.
Very marginal design/item, asking for trouble eventually.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:33 PM
Mil-Spec
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Peter and Yosram, I agree completely. Basically, if it can happen it will happen, right. The battery only weighs 5 oz, the Velcro I use is really strong, I can nearly pick up the plane by the flight pack when I remove it for charging. Plus the rare earth magnets butted together are super strong. But I could very easily add a strap and have 100% security.

The stock tail mechanism works fine for me. Just grind a flat, then use lock tight, and upgrade the Clevis/pushrods to Dubro. Similar light setup on the phase 3 f 16 at 130 mph. Flutter can be an issue at high speeds, especially if there is play or flex in the linkage. I guess we are all testing the limits.

I run an 8s setup at 2300 plus watts, but I never dive in at full power or yank and bank hard at full throttle with this plane.. I try to fly scale with this plane, so I'm gentle on it perhaps compared to others. Works great for me .