SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:06 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,165 Posts
wing looking good keep tabs on the SS coating would interesting to see what kind of weight it adds.
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:09 AM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,849 Posts
looking good!!!!
jcdfrd is online now Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:42 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,773 Posts
Smartmodel.com.hk has them for 229 for 2 shipped.

Also check hobby lobby....

7 - 8lbs of thrust will push this bird along at a VERY scale clip
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:39 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
Shiny...

Bad news: the StyroSpray already added to the weight. So far I covered the wings (major part) and elevators. Still have to cover the fuselage. I did separate the rudder, added the Balsa trailing edges, the rudder servo, lights (including afterburner), but I am currently at 9.7lb... My previous flight was at 8.5lb. My guess is that by the time I have the fuselage covered, and the entire plane painted, I will be somewhere between 10.5lb and 11lb...

And, by the way, for those who follow with StyroSpray (Liquid Sheeting): do use gloves. This thing does NOT come off...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Last edited by ysolomon; Oct 06, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
Wow looks great where did you buy your styro spray from ?
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Shiny...

Bad news: the StyroSpray already added to the weight. So far I covered the wings (major part) and elevators. Still have to cover the fuselage. I did separate the rudder, added the Balsa trailing edges, the rudder servo, lights (including afterburner), but I am currently at 9.7lb... My previous flight was at 8.5lb. My guess is that by the time I have the fuselage covered, and the entire plane painted, I will be somewhere between 10.5lb and 11lb...

And, by the way, for those who follow with StyroSpray (Liquid Sheeting): do use gloves. This thing does NOT come off...
How many coats are you using?

There's only 4lbs of styro spray that comes in the 2 cans
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:15 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
I bought the Styro Spray from the original manufacturer in Houston, Industrial Polymers (http://www.industrialpolymers.com/pr...st/styrospray/). You are right, it couldn't be more than 4lb in those two containers together, and I haven't used half of it... I did two coats, but they are pretty thick. I think I'm making them too thick. Either way, it is not all the added styrospray. Rudder servo, lighting system (including controllers), etc. I'm thinking that I may have added 1lb with the SS1000, and probably have another lb ahead of me...
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:26 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Ysolomon, Great work so far, looking forward to your completion and flight!

On my F-100F I used two different types of airbrush to achieve my results. I did not spend a lot of money on my equipment and I've been very happy so far. I bought a complete airbrush set on Ebay and I was and still am very impressed with it's performance: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Airbrush-K...ht_4788wt_1186

It comes with all you need, for the F-100 I used the single action external mix brush to paint the Model Masters Light Gray (FS36495) bottom surfaces, move fast this brush will lay down the paint! Then for the top colors I used the double action brush, Dark Tan (FS30219), Medium Green (FS34102) and Dark Green (FS34079). Paint it as if you were a miniature person painting the full scale plane, take your time and thin the paint properly. Pay particular attention to recessed areas, you need to angle the air brush towards the main color area you are painting, if you don't you will have lots of over-spray on the other colors.

Here is a picture of my F-100F next to my Dynam ME262, I used the same airbrush to paint the 262. Also notice the real weathering taking place on my F-100, the decals I made for the tale code did not survive the Texas summer! So I'm going to let them peal off and I'll mask and paint them on.

Hope this helps!

Luke
Luke,

How many bottles of each paint did you use?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:28 PM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
hi all!
ok so i have been lazy on the build but getting a bit done everyday,i just glued the retracts reinforcements in the wings and waiting,esc is glued in place along with the receiver and battery tray,elevator blocks and servos also glued in place,have to connect and glue the aileron servos, then next step is to start glueing the bird all together as i have already sorted out where all the wires are going through and also keeping spare wires for the afterburners going in. i still haven't got that front wheel to steer,well for the maiden it won't have a steerable nose then but i've got a slot for the servo and the lead already there too so when i get an illumination at least i won't have to worry about wires pics of the build and where i'm at so far will be uploaded soon...
cheers
rudy
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:38 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy579 View Post
hi all!
ok so i have been lazy on the build but getting a bit done everyday,i just glued the retracts reinforcements in the wings and waiting,esc is glued in place along with the receiver and battery tray,elevator blocks and servos also glued in place,have to connect and glue the aileron servos, then next step is to start glueing the bird all together as i have already sorted out where all the wires are going through and also keeping spare wires for the afterburners going in. i still haven't got that front wheel to steer,well for the maiden it won't have a steerable nose then but i've got a slot for the servo and the lead already there too so when i get an illumination at least i won't have to worry about wires pics of the build and where i'm at so far will be uploaded soon...
cheers
rudy
Good thinking leaving all those spare wires for the lighting system. I would leave a servo extension for the rudder. Just in case... I actually didn't have a rudder in the maiden flight (and two following flights), but found that once this bird gets some airspeed on the ground--the nose steering is not that effective. Also, rudder would have helped landing much, before the nose wheel touches down and she slows down a bit.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:47 AM
Mil-Spec
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Weight

After finishing my f-100 I added about 9 oz just in the water putty/lightweight filler, decals and paint. My all up weight with 8s 4500 is 8 lbs 9 oz. Where I noticed the weight the most is on landing. I had to remember it will not float as well on landing in order to have good touch downs. Also all the obvious things that happen when the bird gains weight... Less vertical..... More energy used in turning.... Etc... The good thing is that it flies great and scale oh yeah and it looks great doing it.
mcgoughman is offline Find More Posts by mcgoughman
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:06 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,558 Posts
Yep, for sure!!! If you fly it like a real plane is flown, more weight is totally fine!
And you also get flight BEHAVIOURS that mimic a real plane more realistically too.
I am extremely 'physics based'... I "see" physics in motion just naturally all the time (eg anything I see 24/7).... so I don't know how many other people ever do - it seems very few. eg how you can "see weight", or weight and inertia, in any moving object, and thus tell if it is 'right' or not. Real objects (eg car, bike, plane) are obviously acting 'real', and then you can translate that into what you see a model do.... 'correct' behaviour? Or 'not correct' behaviour?
95% of models are too light... way too light... and thus do not show 'correct' behaviours across their flight envelope range. Too light can be 'made' to do some things apparently 'correctly' (eg when in smooth stable flight), but cannot do what weight/inertia makes the real plane do.

I haven't finished, or flown (of course then), mine yet. But this is a BIG plane. It would need 4.0Kg PLUS to behave correctly. (at least 4.0Kg anyway).
And that means BIG POWER if you also want to have the correct thrust to drive it appropriately too! But 3.0Kg thrust would be passable.... pref towards 3.5Kg.

That 8.5lbs mentioned above sounds like the right area of weight if you want for this scale/size model that FLIES scale too! (Of course needs appropriate power levels too)
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Oct 08, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:30 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
I'm definitely with you on that, Peter... Besides, by the time I'm done, mine will likely weigh 10lb... My first three flights were at 8.5lb, and it really flew very scale. One of the turns in this video (see the turn left on 1:44) is so real that when I show it to people they think it's the full size plane in an air-show... Wait until I have Dionysus' paint scheme on mine... I never liked flying aerobatics (specifically 3D). You will never see me do a knife edge with a warbird...

Meanwhile--I'm sanding down the main wing, but I really like it now. It is so sturdy... Wednesday we will have "StyroSpray weather" again here, so I will paint the rest of the plane. Who know, I might be able to fly it again this weekend, and then paint it...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:29 AM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
I'm definitely with you on that, Peter... Besides, by the time I'm done, mine will likely weigh 10lb... My first three flights were at 8.5lb, and it really flew very scale. One of the turns in this video (see the turn left on 1:44) is so real that when I show it to people they think it's the full size plane in an air-show... Wait until I have Dionysus' paint scheme on mine... I never liked flying aerobatics (specifically 3D). You will never see me do a knife edge with a warbird...

Meanwhile--I'm sanding down the main wing, but I really like it now. It is so sturdy... Wednesday we will have "StyroSpray weather" again here, so I will paint the rest of the plane. Who know, I might be able to fly it again this weekend, and then paint it...
ysolomon you didn't post the vid or did you
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:57 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
Oh, yes I did... Post #1889. Quick link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1889 Best watched in HD (the camera was 720p).
Guaranteed to get you into Christmas mood...