HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:59 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy579 View Post

once again everyone cheers for the replies,i'm going to give a try to the sugestions and post the results later,4stripes i am trying to figure out how to attach the steering servo to the retract,mine came withe the steerable arm but how to mount that servo??also for the nose ysolomon i'm guna use two 3mm ply plates that i will glue them flush top and bottom and have screws also holding them in place,i hope it will not be very heavy
Here are a couple shots of my nose gear install from earlier in thread

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...321_123641.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...214_160122.jpg

The servo is just glued into the opening beside the leg. The brass steering arm is home made with a wheel collar soldered to a plate. The leg is held straight with that thin brass wire that runs up the front of the leg. It has a 90 degree bend that pokes into a hole drilled into the retract bearing block.
If you are wondering about the legs, they are Hobby Topgun Mig 15 legs that have been modified to be about 1" shorter and strengthened.
Cheers
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:37 PM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Here are a couple shots of my nose gear install from earlier in thread

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...321_123641.jpg

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...214_160122.jpg

The servo is just glued into the opening beside the leg. The brass steering arm is home made with a wheel collar soldered to a plate. The leg is held straight with that thin brass wire that runs up the front of the leg. It has a 90 degree bend that pokes into a hole drilled into the retract bearing block.
If you are wondering about the legs, they are Hobby Topgun Mig 15 legs that have been modified to be about 1" shorter and strengthened.
Cheers
cheers eric,i have an idea now of how to tackle the problem,it's the same idea you went for that i'm guna use for reinforcing that front retract except that there will also be a ply plate underneathwith foam in between
cheers
rudy
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:55 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy579 View Post
cheers eric,i have an idea now of how to tackle the problem,it's the same idea you went for that i'm guna use for reinforcing that front retract except that there will also be a ply plate underneathwith foam in between
cheers
rudy
Mine worked out pretty good and it doesnt stick out into the duct Looking forward to seeing yours all done
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:25 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,762 Posts
PW-RC has the retract units, with metal trunions AND you can get the pre-assembled version with steering arm etc ready to go!! All for just $1 more....
So even though HobbyKing are a bit cheaper, they don't have those versions (metal trunion or steering), so PW-RC wins..... (for the retracts)

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...c2db989cab8d6d

I find those steering versions (all sizes) have steering arms that are too long, but you can just cut it shorter, drill a new hole and thread the wire rod back into that new hole just fine.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:48 AM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
PW-RC has the retract units, with metal trunions AND you can get the pre-assembled version with steering arm etc ready to go!! All for just $1 more....
So even though HobbyKing are a bit cheaper, they don't have those versions (metal trunion or steering), so PW-RC wins..... (for the retracts)

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.ph...c2db989cab8d6d

I find those steering versions (all sizes) have steering arms that are too long, but you can just cut it shorter, drill a new hole and thread the wire rod back into that new hole just fine.
cheers peter
i got those ones from h.k which are simmilar i think http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23481
where is the best to place the steering servo on it ,i got an idea a bit earlier in the thread and i think that i'm guna go for that,
is there another way that you know of peter?more ideas would be great
cheers
rudy
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:44 PM
Crawley Down, sussex, England
Joined Dec 2004
351 Posts
Advice please!

Hi all!
Im seriously tempted to buy this F-100, but the bigger scale is a bit daunting. Im used to 4 cell 70mm fan set ups, so learning the good 90mm set ups is all new to me. Ill be using the Het fan and was thinking either the Typhoon 700-68 2250KV on 6 cell, or the Typhoon 700-68 1200KV on 8 cell. Can anyone advise me on the pros and cons, power and amps pulled, and generally the performance i could expect from these powerplants in this airframe?
P.S
I am planning on hand launching or taking off on the belly tanks.
Thanks!
sniper1 is offline Find More Posts by sniper1
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by sniper1; Oct 04, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:52 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,456 Posts
Sniper,

Several comments (some serious...):

1. You CAN put a 70mm 4S power system in this plane. Only if you want to keep limit its performance to taxiing...

2. Hand launching? By the time you will have it built, it would weigh 8+ lb. Can you hand launch that?... If you are capable of launching an 8+ lb plane (bringing it probably to 60+ mph--go for it. If not--you may want to take off the ground using wheel....

3. This is a great plane. I enjoyed the first three flights, and am now seriously upgrading it. You'll see pictures. First time I flew a 90mm plane I was nervous, but they are more stable than the 70mm/lighter planes, and just fly great.

4. I love the HET setup. I use the HET 9305v2 (700 type) fan with the HET 700-68-2250 on 6S. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that this takes 140A (and delivers 2,700-2,800W). If I had to do it again, I might have chosen the 700-68-2100. I don't know. If you want to fly on 8S, you may want the 700-68-1680 (not 1400kV) for comparable performance.
ysolomon is online now Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper1 View Post
Hi all!
Im seriously tempted to buy this F-100, but the bigger scale is a bit daunting. Im used to 4 cell 70mm fan set ups, so learning the good 90mm set ups is all new to me. Ill be using the Het fan and was thinking either the Typhoon 700-68 2250KV on 6 cell, or the Typhoon 700-68 1200KV on 8 cell. Can anyone advise me on the pros and cons, power and amps pulled, and generally the performance i could expect from these powerplants in this airframe?
P.S
I am planning on hand launching or taking off on the belly tanks.
Thanks!
The plane is pretty big, it's over 5' long...

I've flown it on 4.5lbs of thrust but I had stock LG and I was crazy....

Get the 30usd fan\motor from HK and a 90\100 amp ESC from HK also ....55usd ....on 6s 3000 - 5000mah will scoot the plane pretty good and cheap
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:19 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,258 Posts
a 1500 kv motor works great with the Jet Fan 90mm @ 2400-2500 watts at 83-85 amps.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:25 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,456 Posts
Math shows that it's on 8S. Wouldn't you go with 1680kv?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:42 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,258 Posts
not with a high blade count fan ,this set up is easy on the batts ...so it might be a hotter set up and could work with a 100 amp esc ...im using a CC85HV so 1500 works for me.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:37 AM
Crawley Down, sussex, England
Joined Dec 2004
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Sniper,

Several comments (some serious...):

1. You CAN put a 70mm 4S power system in this plane. Only if you want to keep limit its performance to taxiing...

2. Hand launching? By the time you will have it built, it would weigh 8+ lb. Can you hand launch that?... If you are capable of launching an 8+ lb plane (bringing it probably to 60+ mph--go for it. If not--you may want to take off the ground using wheel....

3. This is a great plane. I enjoyed the first three flights, and am now seriously upgrading it. You'll see pictures. First time I flew a 90mm plane I was nervous, but they are more stable than the 70mm/lighter planes, and just fly great.

4. I love the HET setup. I use the HET 9305v2 (700 type) fan with the HET 700-68-2250 on 6S. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that this takes 140A (and delivers 2,700-2,800W). If I had to do it again, I might have chosen the 700-68-2100. I don't know. If you want to fly on 8S, you may want the 700-68-1680 (not 1400kV) for comparable performance.
Thanks for the helpful information, and the sarcastic information too!
I didnt actually mean i wanted to put a 70mm 4 cell system in this plane. I just dont know much about the 90mm set ups.
Unfortunatley, i havent got a nice long tarmac runway for retracts, and to fly this beautiful plane with wheels hanging down would be blasphemus! Several people here have proved you can hand launch the the F-100 with the lighter set ups. So i guess its one reason im looking at a powerful 6 cell powerplant.
You say you love the HET 9305v2 (700 type) fan with the HET 700-68-2250 on 6S, but would then choose a lower kv motor if you could do it again? Is this because it pulls insane amps, or its just not as powerful as other 6 cell motors?

This plane has become a little tricky to find in the shops in England, as it seems they have stopped distributing them here. There are couple of the eps versions but no epo. Even Hobbyking have run out. I presume most of you pilots here have the epo variant? Is the eps version the real cheap and nasty polystyrene foam, or is it anygood?
Thanks again!!
sniper1 is offline Find More Posts by sniper1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rarebear/ Bearcat
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:06 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,456 Posts
1. Yes, life is not worth living if you don't have a sense of humor...
2. Yes, the 140A is somewhat scary, and I believe this plane can use 2,500W (or even 2,000W), which means the 2100kv would be good enough. Not that it's not powerful. This setup does give me 2,700-2,800W. BTW--one way to increase power (and dynamic, in-flight thrust) is to have a smaller thrust tube exit diameter (75-80% of the FSA).
3. I bought mine from HobbyKing when they had 2 left in stock, and within a week or so I saw that the last one was gone. So, sorry about that...
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:05 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,341 Posts
Sniper 1
Check out rc castle as they had the epo version very reasonable. They shipped mine to Canada in about 2 weeks and other orders made were good as well.
Cheers
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:05 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,456 Posts
More progress. I'm uploading this post now as the main wing is drying from StyroSpray. I think I did a reasonable job this time... I have the afterburner and nozzle now completely in place.