HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
Name: front retract f100 #1.jpg
Views: 169
Size: 153.0 KB
Description: This is how I mounted my retract I used a trim router and routed out an 1/8" area to mount the ply to ,then drilled it and used epoxy and stuffed tooth picks through the ply to lock it in place I made it bigger to try to spread the load over a greater area to dissapate the load , then mounted my retract tray made from aluminum plate to it . I fly off of dirt fields and I did not want any issues , so far its holding up real well
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Last edited by rush1; Oct 02, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:18 PM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
cheers rush
i'm gana take pics of what i did to the retracts and what i used.i went for a 3mm ply reinforced where the retracts scew in with solid timber blocks and i'm guna use your idea rush for the front retract,cheers for the input again guys
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:57 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,391 Posts
Whatever you do in the front-- make it light. This plane is nose heavy, and will require tail weight. For every 1oz you put in this long tail, you may need 2oz in the tail...
ysolomon is online now Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:49 AM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Whatever you do in the front-- make it light. This plane is nose heavy, and will require tail weight. For every 1oz you put in this long tail, you may need 2oz in the tail...
cheers,i will def keep that in mind
now it's the first time i'm using servoless retracts,i hooked them up to the assigned gear channel on the rx before glueing everything together to make sure everything works and it's not it jerks up and down when i'm playing with the subtrims but no clean movements..do i need to run them through a sequencer before or somekind of module?they got hot too
cheers
rudy
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:50 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,391 Posts
Which ones are you using?
I would recommend programming maximum throws to as much as your radio will let you (+/- 125% or 150%), and use 6V BEC or battery.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
three of those http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23481 ,i'm using the er9x software and still figuring it out but getting a hold of it,but i stilltried with my other radio and another reeceiver and the same result,dunno???
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
it's going through a 6v bec already as the esc is an opto,have to get then working before glueing anything
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:53 AM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
When it comes to servoless retracts the only ones I've found that just work are Eflights , I destroyed the flyfly ones on take off ,Now I'm trying the RC Landers and I'm waiting for a replacement main gear retract from Hobby King , Right out of the box it wont cycle !
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:07 AM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy579 View Post
three of those http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23481 ,i'm using the er9x software and still figuring it out but getting a hold of it,but i stilltried with my other radio and another reeceiver and the same result,dunno???
Put them on a gear switch and do full throw and they'll work...they don't cycle without full throw both ways.

Regards
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:28 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,391 Posts
Rudy,

I don't share some of the comments made earlier that the E-Flite landing gear is the same as manufactured in China somewhere for $7. I went through many gears, from RCLanders, to all kinds of HobbyKing gears. Some (specifically, RCL) are not very cheap, but yet I found nothing built like E-Flite retracts for the size planes we are talking about. You can see the workmanship, and it is better than the others. They don't flutter. They are just made well. I'm sure they cost much less to manufacture than they are charging us. Otherwise--they will not be in business... My last three planes (the H9 P40B, this F100, and the FlyFly L39 that's on its way to me) all have E-Flite 25-46 size landing gear. No problems at all (at least not with the ones already installed...) and you can see how sturdy they are. So I'm with rush1 on this one. I hope this will not spark a philosophical debate that will distract us from the F100 at hand...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:43 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,014 Posts
The large plastic servoless retracts in my F-100 (4.2kg), F-16 and F/A-18 (both 3kg give or take) are working perfectly with many flights. Enough hard landings to prove to me they can handle the job.
At $8 a piece they are hard to beat. The only drawback is you must rig your own nosewheel steering system. I used 20lb fishing line and it handles well with no slop.
If you use servoless retracts be sure that the gear leg doesn't wedge up tight against the motor/housing. This may prevent the next extension. If this happens, just remove the leg and provide more clearance.

I run my system on 4.8V. Can't speak for 6V setup....
Cheers

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14838
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:07 PM
Mil-Spec
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
I use the same HK retracts as 4 stripe on several models with good luck so far. On my F-100 I use a Life 1800 mah 2s unregulated as the power supply for the retracts and radio gear. many flight and no problems. Oh yeah and quite a few bad landings....

The e-flite retracts are a step above the HK and worth the money if you have it.

Just my 2 cents
mcgoughman is offline Find More Posts by mcgoughman
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:33 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,721 Posts
I've used the PZ 312 and 514s on 70, 90 and 120 planes...for the price they're pretty decent...

The CS (non PZ etracts) are the same as eflights just not QC'd....the chips on board are the same
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:27 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,391 Posts
See? I knew it will start a philosophical debate...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
See? I knew it will start a philosophical debate...

once again everyone cheers for the replies,i'm going to give a try to the sugestions and post the results later,4stripes i am trying to figure out how to attach the steering servo to the retract,mine came withe the steerable arm but how to mount that servo??also for the nose ysolomon i'm guna use two 3mm ply plates that i will glue them flush top and bottom and have screws also holding them in place,i hope it will not be very heavy