SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:33 AM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
rudeboy579's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
HI ALL!
happy to find a lot of people like me who find that bird interesting
i have started the build of mine yesterday after having read a LOT about the bird,(mostly from this thread) and feeling a bit confident,i will be running an extremerc. 90mm alloy edf with a jetfan 9blade rotor on a het motor,going 6s setup,hobbywing platinum 150amp esc,hitec mg 82 for elevators and het mg for ailerons,servoless metal trunnion retracts,i'm thinking of changing the elevator servos location and also the esc's,reinforcing the elevators themselves,reinforcing retracts with ply etc.. and would stop there with the mods for the moment and get her up,see how it goes and go from there,i don't want a speed demon(got enuff 70mm to satisfy that)what i want is a good looking and sounding jet. i will post pics of the progress and of course the maiden video,cheers for sharing you experiences guysit really helps when you are building
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:16 AM
Registered User
4stripes's Avatar
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,372 Posts
Hi Rudeboy579
Sounds like you have it figured out pretty good. I'm running just over 2600watts through a Changesun fan and the stock elevators only mod is a strip of CF along the trailing edge of each stab. Stock servo location, hinge and linkages. The plane really moves and no issues with the flying stabs.
The main thing is have flat spots where the linkage bolt hits the wire AND make sure the end of the bolts are filed perfectly flat. The way they come are not flat due to the thread cutting and if used will allow twisting on the shaft under stress. I glued in the hinge blocks with PU glue and they are solid.
Cheers Eric
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:38 AM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
rudeboy579's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
cheers eric
about the elevator issue,the sabre uses almost the same system as my composite f-16 and had issues with her too,i will flatten those endscheers for the heads upi'm also glad to hear that the stock setup is working fine,less mods more time to fly
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:18 AM
Registered User
4stripes's Avatar
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,372 Posts
I learned about the bolt end problem with my Starmax 90mm V2 F-16 that has a similar system. Flat bolts, no problem!
Don't forget the locktite...
Cheers
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:46 AM
Another one on the way...
ysolomon's Avatar
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,461 Posts
Didn't think about that... Flat bolts it is, then. Thanks for the heads up! Meanwhile--the panel lines (or, should I say trenches?...) are beginning to disappear using the lightweight spackle, the rudder is rebuilt from Balsa, the wingtip navigation lights are in the wings, and the afterburner is on!
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:31 PM
Another one on the way...
ysolomon's Avatar
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,461 Posts
More progress: starting to put the lightweight spacke/Durham's water putty mixture on the elevators. I will likely get it covered with StyroSpray to see what it looks like, before I start the rest of the plane. Or I'll do everything. Whatever...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:23 PM
Registered User
rush1's Avatar
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
More progress: starting to put the lightweight spacke/Durham's water putty mixture on the elevators. I will likely get it covered with StyroSpray to see what it looks like, before I start the rest of the plane. Or I'll do everything. Whatever...
Looking good
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
Another one on the way...
ysolomon's Avatar
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,461 Posts
More progress. I feel I'm in a race against time with the SS1000 expiration date and fall/winter coming... Elevators covered with SS1000. I followed the instructions to the letter, but I was ready for trouble... However--it became touchable in 20 minutes, and I gave it a second coat. However, I just realized that I needed to check for dripping, which I haven't, and now I have some fixin' to do. At least it's on the bottom side of the elevators...

Meanwhile, I prepped the wing bottom for SS1000, and will move on to the top soon. Also, I thought the 3M glue I used to put the afterburner ring in place will never dry up. Didn't feel like it had any intentions to dry... It only dried today, two days after I applied it! So I looked at the directions on the tube, and it said that it will dry in 48 hours... Duh... I just added a clear thrust tube (really, only the last 1" of the tube), but so that it comes through the thrust tube and the nozzles. Glued it with the same 3M glue. At least now I know it will not cure until Tuesday...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:54 AM
Registered User
Dionysus's Avatar
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Ysolomon, Great work so far, looking forward to your completion and flight!

On my F-100F I used two different types of airbrush to achieve my results. I did not spend a lot of money on my equipment and I've been very happy so far. I bought a complete airbrush set on Ebay and I was and still am very impressed with it's performance: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Airbrush-K...ht_4788wt_1186

It comes with all you need, for the F-100 I used the single action external mix brush to paint the Model Masters Light Gray (FS36495) bottom surfaces, move fast this brush will lay down the paint! Then for the top colors I used the double action brush, Dark Tan (FS30219), Medium Green (FS34102) and Dark Green (FS34079). Paint it as if you were a miniature person painting the full scale plane, take your time and thin the paint properly. Pay particular attention to recessed areas, you need to angle the air brush towards the main color area you are painting, if you don't you will have lots of over-spray on the other colors.

Here is a picture of my F-100F next to my Dynam ME262, I used the same airbrush to paint the 262. Also notice the real weathering taking place on my F-100, the decals I made for the tale code did not survive the Texas summer! So I'm going to let them peal off and I'll mask and paint them on.

Hope this helps!

Luke
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:27 AM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
rudeboy579's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
hi all,
i'm to the retract reinforcement part of my build,i saw ysolomon did a fairly simple mod,how is your's holding ysolomon??eric your bird sounds heavy,could you please posts a pic of your mod??anyone any sugestions??
cheers
rudy
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:54 AM
Another one on the way...
ysolomon's Avatar
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Ysolomon, Great work so far, looking forward to your completion and flight!

On my F-100F I used two different types of airbrush to achieve my results. I did not spend a lot of money on my equipment and I've been very happy so far. I bought a complete airbrush set on Ebay and I was and still am very impressed with it's performance: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Airbrush-K...ht_4788wt_1186

It comes with all you need, for the F-100 I used the single action external mix brush to paint the Model Masters Light Gray (FS36495) bottom surfaces, move fast this brush will lay down the paint! Then for the top colors I used the double action brush, Dark Tan (FS30219), Medium Green (FS34102) and Dark Green (FS34079). Paint it as if you were a miniature person painting the full scale plane, take your time and thin the paint properly. Pay particular attention to recessed areas, you need to angle the air brush towards the main color area you are painting, if you don't you will have lots of over-spray on the other colors.

Here is a picture of my F-100F next to my Dynam ME262, I used the same airbrush to paint the 262. Also notice the real weathering taking place on my F-100, the decals I made for the tale code did not survive the Texas summer! So I'm going to let them peal off and I'll mask and paint them on.

Hope this helps!

Luke
Thanks, Luke!

Appreciate the guidance. I will try on something before I move the nozzle towards the plane...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:55 AM
Another one on the way...
ysolomon's Avatar
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy579 View Post
hi all,
i'm to the retract reinforcement part of my build,i saw ysolomon did a fairly simple mod,how is your's holding ysolomon??eric your bird sounds heavy,could you please posts a pic of your mod??anyone any sugestions??
cheers
rudy
My mod is holding perfectly, considering the fact that the landing gear was not mounted on it yet... I am currently working on covering the plane with StyroSpray so no flights until that is done... I guess time will tell...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:03 PM
Registered User
Dionysus's Avatar
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudeboy579 View Post
hi all,
i'm to the retract reinforcement part of my build,i saw ysolomon did a fairly simple mod,how is your's holding ysolomon??eric your bird sounds heavy,could you please posts a pic of your mod??anyone any sugestions??
cheers
rudy
I used 1/8" ply doubled as shown in my quick drawing. Fill the voids with foam and Dremel out the depth needed. I have many flights on my plane without a problem and my plane weighs around 7 - 1/2lbs. You could add extra balsa or ply if your landing technique needs some work or you are flying off of grass.
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:20 PM
Another one on the way...
ysolomon's Avatar
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,461 Posts
Or if your plane weight is closer to 9 lb versus 7 lb...

The biggest issue is really that the epoxy doesn't hold to the painted EPO. You need to somehow hold on to something more than the painted EPO.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:12 PM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
rudeboy579's Avatar
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
wow
cheers guys for the input and sugestions,i will go with the ply set up i think but with a bit more ply as i'm planning to take off from the grass for the maiden and a few following flites,then when i get home it's going to be off a runway so i shouldn't have issues with the retracts except of course if i land hard
cheers again guys,
rudy
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alert ···SCOOP···RBCkits F-100 Super Sabre···SCOOP··· Prop-er Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 71 Feb 16, 2009 03:57 PM
Build Log - contest - Micro EDF30 F100 Super Sabre metroidrc Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 119 Feb 19, 2008 06:50 PM
F-100 Super Sabre lebardemelon Pusher Prop Jet Models 5 Apr 20, 2005 09:34 AM
F-100 Super Sabre Tim H. Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 22 Apr 28, 2002 09:26 AM
F-100 Super Sabre Ed Couch Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 6 Dec 30, 2001 11:12 AM