HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 01:24 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
Eddie do you have any pics of the nip tuck you did to short'n the nose or fuse which ever you did . been reading though this thread as i wait for mine to get here,and i think im going with the single seat mod .i may make a glass nose cone and thinking about a full inlet duct as i think the way the stock one is is hurting ...not sure till i see/feel it.
Yeah, I have a few pics here on this page : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1322529&page=3

This is the exact post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=42

It's a blog post - not the end all be all but it's got some pics. I am hoping to get a lot more done in the next few weeks. I finally have some more time to build and I have the materials to finish including the landing gear, etc.

Hope to see some of your work when you get your kit. I think it's a great starting place for a nice jet and might even consider making the wing mod even though I'm well past the point of making it easy to make the mod.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:38 PM
To thine own self be true
USA, CA, Redlands
Joined May 2006
6 Posts
The number one reason people are changing their full flying elevators to conventional stab elevators on their flyfly models is because of the pitch sensitivity issues these models have.. Youll have full elevator control, sorta important i'd say.
Tisoy909 is offline Find More Posts by Tisoy909
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:35 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
Yeah, I have a few pics here on this page : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1322529&page=3

This is the exact post: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=42

It's a blog post - not the end all be all but it's got some pics. I am hoping to get a lot more done in the next few weeks. I finally have some more time to build and I have the materials to finish including the landing gear, etc.

Hope to see some of your work when you get your kit. I think it's a great starting place for a nice jet and might even consider making the wing mod even though I'm well past the point of making it easy to make the mod.
Thanks eddie nice blog ....guys if you hav'nt seen his blog build ck it out .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:49 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
I just want everyone to know that my stock elevator linkage has worked flawlessly for over 150 flights now, many of those on 8S doing around 120mph and maybe faster on downwind dives. As you know my first F-100 crashed on the first flight because my new JR radio stopped working. The stabs were still attached and were not damaged, they still worked and the plane was destroyed just the tail was left.

I did install the stab blocks and stab wires before glassing my plane, maybe that has helped a bit. My only point is that it can be done and it works on a heavy scaled out plane on the upper end of the speed range.

Stab pivot blocks must be roughed up very well.
Grind a flat spot on the stab pivot rod
Use lock tight when installing the control rod screw
Use heavy duty aftermarket control arms for your elevator servos

My plane has been flying every weekend (sat and sun) for the last several months, so I just thought I'd add another persons experience here to balance things out. Failures as we know are not always a design problem, most times it is the fault of the builder in my experience.
Agree 100%

Mine has many flights with no issues and tail linkage and pivot bone stock. Yes file flat spots, file the long bolt end completely flat , use locktite and glue the pivot blocks in well (used PU glue on mine, no fiberglass).
Cheers

PS The foam stabs were too flexible until I added a CF strip along the trailing edge which made them stiff enough.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by 4stripes; Jun 15, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:49 AM
SoCal, Year Round Flying!
Newport Beach, CA
Joined May 2002
5,745 Posts
Air Sally yours arrive yet? I got some jr sport servos (MC35)at the LHS tonite. I can start assembling.
bmiller is offline Find More Posts by bmiller
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:09 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,793 Posts
nope just a tracking number
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:11 AM
Australia, NSW, Hillsborough
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
4Stripes

Thanks 4Stripes,point taken,and am still plodding on trying to sort it.
heliclown is offline Find More Posts by heliclown
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:28 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,922 Posts
Well the elevators feel 'terrible' to me... but I am also a bit fussy on things being 'technically sound'. Yes, the foam itself for a start.... thus need extra support stiffness laterelly.
But no matter how well the pivot blocks are installed there is still motion, as the foam 'compresses' around them. Mine are epoxied in, quite rock solid, but it is just not 'technically right'.
Sure, they will probably do the job - like 50% (or more) of other aspects of these "Chinese foamie" planes are made to the margins - but it would never pass an aviation inspection, LOL.
And the only way to get them truly rigid (in this F-100's design case) is they must be "linked" as a unit so the load directions are more limited due to the sharing/link.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Jun 17, 2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:03 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,262 Posts
That's why I put in a load sharing beam to mount the tail pivot blocks. I agree. It's best to beef up the structure in the tail a bit.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:01 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
I loaded up my old workhorse "SS" today with lighter 30C/12S packs and had to chase quite few roos from the strip with it before my take off. Wanted to see if I can spot ocean with the attached vid. cam, but not the greatest footage, have to relocate cam to the nose, Joe. (PC is too slow today, maybe domany)
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:56 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,793 Posts
man there are a lot of them ....how do you shoo them away ?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:39 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
I loaded up my old workhorse "SS" today with lighter 30C/12S packs and had to chase quite few roos from the strip with it before my take off. Wanted to see if I can spot ocean with the attached vid. cam, but not the greatest footage, have to relocate cam to the nose, Joe. (PC is too slow today, maybe domany)
That's scary...

Would some low fly buys get them to move
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
Old Jun 18, 2012, 07:06 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,922 Posts
Could mount a 'shoo roo' on the nose....
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV Cameras & fixed or pan/tilt
Old Jun 19, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Hi, I chase them with the model. Today fitted vid. cam on the nose and got lot nicer footage, also used heavier 50C batt. packs, see all the roos on video, loaded later, Joe.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Sorry for the rotated footage, easier cam attachment but got rude shock after viewing it. Managed to rotated to downsize but havent got program to load it in that form to Y/tube. Joe.
VID_0001.mp4 (4 min 11 sec)