HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:58 AM
Australia, NSW, Hillsborough
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
Jacojet

Thanks jacojet.
What reason did you change the all flying stabiliser, to a conventional elevator and horiz stab?
steve
heliclown is offline Find More Posts by heliclown
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:15 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,753 Posts
Sacrilege !!!! LOL
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:48 PM
South Africa, Free State, Sasolburg
Joined May 2010
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliclown View Post
Thanks jacojet.
What reason did you change the all flying stabiliser, to a conventional elevator and horiz stab?
steve
I don't trust the all flying stab at higher speeds, lost my hawk that way, if hinged properly, it is hardly noticeable on the ground and in the air not visible at all! Much safer that way, But remember mine is quite a bit faster than a standard one.
jacojet is offline Find More Posts by jacojet
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined May 2010
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Sacrilege !!!! LOL
I agree 100%! Would love to make the stab work as it should, but experience has taught me to be safe rather than sorry!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
Jacojet

Fair enough!
Do you have any video of your F100 you could post?
Thanks
Steve
PS Do you fly with fuel tanks, if so have you noticed it is more pitch sensitive on landing, with them on compared to Off, since you are flying at the aft 275 CG? Mine is very sensitive at that (275/280) CG on landing,so i was thinking of removing the tanks to see if pitch is less sensitive. I have tried D/R and expo without much luck.Maybe its the pilot.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:00 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
the tanks are designed to add lift so that is why it feels pitchy.i've seen the tanks on a JHhF-86 cause it to rotate in a shorter distance too .
AIR SALLY is online now Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:57 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Fair enough!
Do you have any video of your F100 you could post?
Thanks
Steve
PS Do you fly with fuel tanks, if so have you noticed it is more pitch sensitive on landing, with them on compared to Off, since you are flying at the aft 275 CG? Mine is very sensitive at that (275/280) CG on landing,so i was thinking of removing the tanks to see if pitch is less sensitive. I have tried D/R and expo without much luck.Maybe its the pilot.
Reduce your throws. You won't need as much if properly balanced.
Cheers
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:41 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
oh i got a tracking number ....but it does'nt show up yet
Old Jun 13, 2012, 11:05 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,753 Posts
Well, yes... the stock elevator pivot system leaves a LOT to be desired. It is so weak that I would worry about it in a 'normal' speed F-100 !! You can flex the elevators easily by hand to see how sub-standard it is.
Mine is on "temporary hold" in its construction, but I do want to upgrade the whole pivot system along the way too.

I have it planned out more or less - it will have a single shaft running right through from elevator to elevator, through the existing pivot blocks. But it will be 5mm. And with solid inserts in the elevators (ply or nylon). eg 40mm or so front to rear length, 30mm or so 'depth' into the elevator width. With bushing (most likely carbon fibre tube, but otherwise brass or alloy tube) to take the pivot surface area load - thus huge overkill on the stress it could ever encounter (you could swing the fuselage off one shaft side for sure! lol). The actual elevator bushing will run well into the elevator.
This will be a rock solid solution.
And the thrust tube design to deal with that crossing shaft is not a real problem.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Feb 2008
92 Posts
4Stripes and Jacojet

While still on the subject of travels, I reduced the elevator travel by 5mm(25 to20mm) measured at the T/E root of elev.Still touchy. What are you guys running? and are you using expo in conjunction?
Thanks
Steve
Old Jun 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
Joined May 2010
205 Posts
Haven't flown with the tanks on, so I cant comment. But each plane is a little different, if it is very sensitive on approach move the cg forward a tad and test. I have 30% expo on the elevator and 20mm travel. I will try and get some video this weekend.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
Southwestern VA
Joined Nov 2009
476 Posts
21mm of travel on mine. Expo at 20%.
jpbrimmer is offline Find More Posts by jpbrimmer
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:31 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,257 Posts
Eddie do you have any pics of the nip tuck you did to short'n the nose or fuse which ever you did . been reading though this thread as i wait for mine to get here,and i think im going with the single seat mod .i may make a glass nose cone and thinking about a full inlet duct as i think the way the stock one is is hurting ...not sure till i see/feel it.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:09 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Well, yes... the stock elevator pivot system leaves a LOT to be desired. It is so weak that I would worry about it in a 'normal' speed F-100 !!
I just want everyone to know that my stock elevator linkage has worked flawlessly for over 150 flights now, many of those on 8S doing around 120mph and maybe faster on downwind dives. As you know my first F-100 crashed on the first flight because my new JR radio stopped working. The stabs were still attached and were not damaged, they still worked and the plane was destroyed just the tail was left.

I did install the stab blocks and stab wires before glassing my plane, maybe that has helped a bit. My only point is that it can be done and it works on a heavy scaled out plane on the upper end of the speed range.

Stab pivot blocks must be roughed up very well.
Grind a flat spot on the stab pivot rod
Use lock tight when installing the control rod screw
Use heavy duty aftermarket control arms for your elevator servos

My plane has been flying every weekend (sat and sun) for the last several months, so I just thought I'd add another persons experience here to balance things out. Failures as we know are not always a design problem, most times it is the fault of the builder in my experience.
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:10 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,335 Posts
Quote:
While still on the subject of travels, I reduced the elevator travel by 5mm(25 to20mm) measured at the T/E root of elev.Still touchy. What are you guys running? and are you using expo in conjunction?
Thanks
Steve
Flew mine yesterday and measured the travel 20mm up 30mm down. I don't use any expo or dual rates. I find the extra down helps pushing out of inverted maneuvers.
There is little use for too much throw as it will only invite possible over-stressing of the airframe.
As mentioned by another, perhaps you have gone slightly too far aft with the CG.
Cheers
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes