HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:55 PM
Flying Foamies
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
737 Posts
yup plan to build an amphibious FPV out of it if possible. should have a lot of room for the equipments. needed a fixwing to go along side my quadcopter. that can take to the water when needed
speedactyl is offline Find More Posts by speedactyl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Philippnes Materials Available
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:02 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stano71 View Post
Looks like this R/C "rabbithole" just got a little deeper, Flashing to take place soon as usb programmer arrives and soldering completed, do you suggest open9x or er9x , I would be prefer the one with best documentation/instructions? I fly planes and 1 heli(6 channel) if it makes any difference to the choice.
Both firmwares are excellent and have most of their features in common. Each FW has a few small differences so it's mostly a matter of personal preferences like the Chevy vs Ford or Toyota vs VW thing. Openx may tend to be favored by the FPV and telemetry buffs, but even there I'm not sure. I have used er9x for about 18 months and am quite satisfied. I have looked at and flashed one of my radios with open9x but doubt I'll stay there. Just no compelling reason for me to change. As for documentation, both FW have a continuously updated wiki. Also, each has a computer-based programming and simulation program that makes building and verifying a model setup, storing model profiles, etc., a snap. Check it all out at http://www.9xforums.com/forum/

If you need specific information about setting up a flashed 9x for a Twins I will do what I can to help.

Good luck with whichever FW you choose, you're gonna love it.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Avoid the 9XR like the plague! Many problems with inferior components. Your 9x is a much better radio, and with er9x or open9x FW is awesome in it's capabilities. Another option may be the soon to be released FrSky X9D. Lots of promise there if the price is reasonable.

Ted
I used to follow a 9xr thread for a while but so many off topics came up I lost interest. Will probably go to er9x just need to get a card which I'll probably do next order or so. What do you base negative opinion of the 9xr on? I haven't seen one in person, one of the guys at the field has one on order, we'll see how it looks. I haven't done any reading up on it since its been out either, knew I wasn't going to do anything soon. Would rather spend the $ on plane parts.
Meach_in_GA is offline Find More Posts by Meach_in_GA
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:20 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meach_in_GA View Post
I used to follow a 9xr thread for a while but so many off topics came up I lost interest. Will probably go to er9x just need to get a card which I'll probably do next order or so. What do you base negative opinion of the 9xr on? I haven't seen one in person, one of the guys at the field has one on order, we'll see how it looks. I haven't done any reading up on it since its been out either, knew I wasn't going to do anything soon. Would rather spend the $ on plane parts.
A number of folk on the er9x forum are early users and also participate in other forums for the radio. They have experienced and report others experience of design and QC problems. Other radios have issues to be sure, but the 9XR in my take is not worth the bother.

Ted
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:17 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,247 Posts
FedEx Paint Scheme

rgwilson, you beat me to the punch on the FedEx paint scheme. I have downloaded their logo and will be using it on my twin cargo plane. Thanks for the preview of what mine will look like.

BTW - that looks like a C-47 in the background of one of your photos. What kit/ARF is that? I'm looking for a good flying large DC-3 or C-47....
Iflyrc_vic is online now Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Feb 13, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwilson View Post
Here is one I've been working on the past 2 weeks. Powered by two E-flight 370 outrunners and two Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 ESC's.
That looks good. I like that nose gear, is that from another plane kit?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:25 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post
rgwilson, you beat me to the punch on the FedEx paint scheme. I have downloaded their logo and will be using it on my twin cargo plane. Thanks for the preview of what mine will look like.

BTW - that looks like a C-47 in the background of one of your photos. What kit/ARF is that? I'm looking for a good flying large DC-3 or C-47....
If the weather is decent tomorrow I'm hoping to get this thing in the air. I'm a bit concerned about the weight, she came out at 48 oz. all up ready to fly.

Yes, that is a Dynam C-47 in the background. Nitroplanes sells the ARF for $119
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-8931-c47-green-arf.html - It's a pretty nice plane for the money and flys very well with a few simple mods. I bought that one over a year ago when they were $99.

I want to see how my Cargo Twin fly's before I spruce it up a bit more. I'd like to add some purple to the vertical stab and a Fedex logo, add some de-icers to the wing leading edges.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:33 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
That looks good. I like that nose gear, is that from another plane kit?
The nose gear strut came from a Cirrus SR22 that I had laying around. The plywood frame was fabricated from 1/8" ply. The main struts came from that same plane with a little re-bending and modification. Just added larger wheels.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:57 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Maiden Flight

I did get the maiden flight of my Cargo Twin today. It went pretty much without a hitch, but I need to widen the main gear a bit. It does not like taking off in a cross wind. Here is the video:
Cargo Twin (7 min 40 sec)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:34 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,705 Posts
Quote:
I did get the maiden flight of my Cargo Twin today. It went pretty much without a hitch, but I need to widen the main gear a bit. It does not like taking off in a cross wind. Here is the video:
http://youtu.be/NmZBr9DuVlE
The Twins with it's narrow track gear tips easily. Not much you can do about it that I can determine without some radical main gear mod. I put some skids under the wing tips on a doubled end rib to stop the ground rash that results.

Ted
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
http://youtu.be/NmZBr9DuVlE
Thats some wide open space to fly in.
Looks like it flies pretty good, yea they tip pretty easy, I like Teds idea of a wing skid, I thought about doing something similar, because of my motor placement when my plane tips over the props just catch the ground and shaves off the tips. Hope to fly tomorrow before cold moves back in and try out my bomb bay, took the wife out on a valentine day motorcycle trip today.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:22 AM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
282 Posts
Cargo Twin

My Twin came out quite heavy since I used the Dollartree foam board 48 oz. all up weight. I used the E-flight Park 370 motors and 10x3.8 props. I had to fly it at full throttle so it could use more power for sure. That only gave me about 220 watts for a 3 lb. plane, the power to weight ratio is not very good. In hindsight I think I'll put a couple of E-flight park 450's in it and use a 2200 mAh battery on each one.
The wing skids are a great idea, I'll add those for sure. I'm going to widen the main gear a couple of inches as well and make to nose wheel strut a bit longer in order to get the nose up a bit, it was a little too low and the angle of the main wing leading edge was slightly down, had to give the plane quite a bit of up elevator on take off to get the nose up.
Thanks Foamandtape for a great plane!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
57 Posts
So was able to try out bomb bay today pic below (its not pretty but it works, used some ideas from Stano71), Albert (pic below) gave it a thumbs up, first trial didn't take him up too high but worked great, second trial took him up pretty good ways and dropped him but a little breezy and he drifted the length of the field on the way down just shy of some trees next to field, unfortunately had some minor damage while attempting to land plane on grass, was doing fine until small gust caught it right before touchdown and kind of slammed it down and grass caught the front wheel. I'm thinking of trying to make some kind of skids to take off and land on grass, any suggestions?

Love flying this plane, it just zips around and if I get in trouble I have plenty of power to recover with.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:13 PM
Proudly Made in Australia
Australia, QLD, Bungundarra
Joined Nov 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
So was able to try out bomb bay today pic below (its not pretty but it works, used some ideas from Stano71), Albert (pic below) gave it a thumbs up, first trial didn't take him up too high but worked great, second trial took him up pretty good ways and dropped him but a little breezy and he drifted the length of the field on the way down just shy of some trees next to field, unfortunately had some minor damage while attempting to land plane on grass, was doing fine until small gust caught it right before touchdown and kind of slammed it down and grass caught the front wheel. I'm thinking of trying to make some kind of skids to take off and land on grass, any suggestions?

Love flying this plane, it just zips around and if I get in trouble I have plenty of power to recover with.
Looking good Meach, thanks for the info on the stock radio have decided to flash to er9x to add the features that I need,( thanks Ted for pointing me in the right direction) have a look here for a simple skid you could maybe modify for your needs http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2176 Maybe you could use cheap/old heli main rotor blades for the skids or shape some out of an old plastic kitchen cutting board for durability.

Here is a pic of the bomb bay mech I based mine off, for anyone else who might be interested( ONE SERVO ), I just scaled it to fit my fuse and added the extra former to mount servo and to close off the bomb bay from the cargo bay.

on a side note my electrics arrived in the mail yesterday, still have a ways to go building at my speed (am also rebuilding a 1985 300zx at the moment) but I I will try to get this flying soon
Stano71 is offline Find More Posts by Stano71
Last edited by Stano71; Feb 15, 2013 at 07:57 PM.