HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:05 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,272 Posts
Nice video Aircontrol and Kwill.Air..... yours seems very responsive to the throttle differential. Especially in that knife edge pass
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:15 AM
Joined Aug 2010
191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwilletts View Post
I am having an electronics problem, perhaps someone can lend a helping hand.
First allow me to describe the problem, and then I will explain my setup. I am having a motor issue where the rpm of one motor seems to surge... I have noticed this and my last airframe of the twins.

If you listen on this video you will hear the motors surging. It is a continual thing rpm's drop and the rise again and again. This is on one motor only...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvjq__Hg-k

Throttles come out of the throttle channel into a y cable to the two HK 10A ESC's. I have lifted the power wire from one of the esc cables so to not overload the receiver. No V-tail for differential thrust on this so far. The one thing that I have noticed is that this happens when I run my 20c 800 mah 3s through it. If I run with a 15c it doesn't do it. Anyone have any ideas?
Have you figured it out? My guess is that the esc is going into "over amp protection" mode. You may be right at the max amp rating for the esc. A 20C battery will give up more amps, under load, than a 15C. For example the 15C may max out at 9.5 amps but the 20C may deliver 10.5 amps and the esc will go into overload protection.
urpu36 is offline Find More Posts by urpu36
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:51 AM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircontrol View Post
This is my first Twin Cargo Plane, and its a lot a fun! Thanks foam and tape for the great design, and thanks larryross for all your hard work on the plans.
Of course I had to make a few changes of my own. My twin is made of EPP, with a 48" ws (85%) of the original.

Here are the Mix's I used to get the rudder and throttle differential on a DX7s.
Note: I saved the gear port for the back door and used the AXI port for the left motor.
Mix 1
THR > AXI
Rate 100%
100%
Mix 2
RUD > THR
Rate 60%
60%
Mix 3
RUD > AXI
Rate - 60%
- 60%

I was able to brave the wind and cold today for some video. Enjoy!!!
https://vimeo.com/56821679

How is my plane flying? =)
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:50 PM
(ACCELLERATII INCREDIBUS)
Jenison Michigan
Joined Apr 2008
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAC4123 View Post
How is my plane flying? =)
Flies terrible! You wont like it. So now its MINE! LOL! We will have to get together this week and let you try it out.

John.
aircontrol is online now Find More Posts by aircontrol
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:06 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
anyoen every try a low wing twins?
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Oct 2005
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
I've thought about it. I think you would want dihedral.
PropSpinner is offline Find More Posts by PropSpinner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Springer Tug Build
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:21 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
yeah. i built a glider. but i was wondering if anyone has done it before.
i put a 25% fuse and tail to a 30% wing. buried in the fuse at eht bottom. it real windy here, but i want to a test glide it. dehidral has the wing tips just above mid way up the fuse.

if uncontroled glide goes well, im putting in r415 and twin 7mm with AA props.

but tthat blasted wind has to go first...
i really want one at 35% with a removable wing and retracts.... but i will dream untill that happen.
ar6400T on the way, as well as 4 2G motors. (twin quad?!)

*sigh* been on the ground far too long. bad things happen when i dont fly.

illl post pics if some one wants to see.

edit: if i had the wings removable, i could sneek it into the library!
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:30 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
Hmmm... A little more bashing and visions of "'Old Shakey" are coming to mind.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:53 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,674 Posts
That C-124 has some SERIOUS WIng Fillets ! ! !

A N D that tapered wing makes me itchy too

Not to mention Ground clearance for the props.

Still , the basic Twins is so stable that Doing the Low wing Thang may result in FUN !
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:55 PM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Aug 2010
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urpu36 View Post
Have you figured it out? My guess is that the esc is going into "over amp protection" mode. You may be right at the max amp rating for the esc. A 20C battery will give up more amps, under load, than a 15C. For example the 15C may max out at 9.5 amps but the 20C may deliver 10.5 amps and the esc will go into overload protection.
Well, after swapping out the suspect esc, it has cleared the problem. I would agree with your assesment but as this is split over two motors..... The motors will only draw what they need.... I fly these motors on firefly's with an 8X6 on the same controller... no problem. So i dont think that I am over amping the esc. I think that the esc I just think that this esc has an issue. I am going to start an upload to youtube of one of my flights for tonight. The second one I will not post as i landed on the roof of my boss's house. He got a kick out of it. i will put a link up later.
Kwilletts is offline Find More Posts by Kwilletts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:06 PM
Spearheading an Alliance
United States, CO, Aspen
Joined Oct 2010
794 Posts
twins cargo roof landing video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwilletts View Post
Well, after swapping out the suspect esc, it has cleared the problem. I would agree with your assesment but as this is split over two motors..... The motors will only draw what they need.... I fly these motors on firefly's with an 8X6 on the same controller... no problem. So i dont think that I am over amping the esc. I think that the esc I just think that this esc has an issue. I am going to start an upload to youtube of one of my flights for tonight. The second one I will not post as i landed on the roof of my boss's house. He got a kick out of it. i will put a link up later.
Glad you got this sorted out. I'm looking forward to seeing your video. Sorry, did I miss something? Why not post the "roof landing" video?

BG
BravoGolf is offline Find More Posts by BravoGolf
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:41 PM
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Aug 2010
163 Posts
BG... Well its almost a gig... Slow to upload (sounds like a good excuse) Here is tongiht's video. Weather is supposed to filter in on us over the next few days here. I just got my differential throttles setup tonight after my last flight. Now the plane is at the track, and I am at home... anyway thanks air the mix setup you listed got me there, it can goto the gear Channel on a dx8, you just have to turn the switch off in the switch select. Also have to watch out for rudder trim.... It had me scratching my head for a few mins. Without further ado.... Tonight's footage...

Twins Jan 8.avi (3 min 11 sec)
Kwilletts is offline Find More Posts by Kwilletts
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:22 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Jun 2011
77 Posts
its alive

well after my first twins build and a motor change lol lack of power, then a fatal crash my bad < Bob hooked me up with a new fuselage and it turned out way better
this time of corse have the H tail finished and suspension done ill post picks bty the weekend.

going to try a twin battery setup this time i was running a single 5k 45c 3s im going to see how 2x 3000mah 45c 4s will do my power is coming from two e-flite power 25's and 10x6 props ill have to re weigh last time with the 5k mah battery just a tad over 5lbs flew awesome one of my favorite planes to fly...

Cheers
Scott

ps. thanks Bobs cutout service
keoki47 is offline Find More Posts by keoki47
Last edited by keoki47; Jan 09, 2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 04:21 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,674 Posts
Neat LG Tricks !

H stab looks like Skyscraper construction !

I think you will have Rudder authority !
Like enough for Knife edge !

Thanx for comps. Glad to help out.

Bob
Hoosier Cutout Service
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:10 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Jun 2011
77 Posts
gear

yeah the landing gear is sweet put 90 weight oil so there nice and slow if ya come in hard you cant tell butter landings every time... my boss rigged em up turned out pretty sweet.
keoki47 is offline Find More Posts by keoki47