HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:29 AM
Ireland, Meath, Ashbourne
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
Well, that was some challenge, read the entire thread from start to finish, NOT in one session, not even close, 4515 messages!

Now, to decide which one to build, and the size. Tempted by a big one, but there are practicalities to think of.

This is going slightly off foam, but has anyone used corrieboard for anything like this? Best way I can describe it is that it's the plastic cardboard replacement that's used all over for things like estate agent signs, and it comes from 2mm up to 10mm. I have a supplier locally, and am heading up to them to get some samples later, so I can do some testing to see what the weights are like, and the stiffness. They might also do some foam, will see what I can find out.

Was looking at some of the contra rotating props that HK do, anyone used any of them?

Did anyone get their 250% size in the air yet?

Seriously impressed with both the variety of Twins that have been flown as well as the Quad tilt rotor in the related thread, very thought provoking indeed.

Kudos to all concerned.
Irish Steve is offline Find More Posts by Irish Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:18 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,293 Posts
On this side of the Pacific we can get Coroplast board from RCFOAM.com so

Go a head and lead the pack by doing your version in coriboard with a build report.

bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:53 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,318 Posts
Bob and others , I was surprised to see 1/4" ( I think ) coroplast at a local Home Depot here in So. Ca.. It was on the cart of the customer ahead of me in the check out line. And they said they found it but the associates at the store didn't know they had it. I haven't tried to locate it myself yet. I think it was a large sheet ... But I know for sure it was at least 2' x 4'
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:43 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
Bob and others , I was surprised to see 1/4" ( I think ) coroplast at a local Home Depot here in So. Ca..
Hey Al-
What Home Depot were you in? I may have to swing by and check it out...
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Jun 2011
73 Posts
Not enough poop

Well flew the twins for the first time using 8x4.5x3 quad counter rotating blades aeo counter rotating motors lol I'll post pics of the build turned out cool! weight is a bit high 4.7 lbs with battery . Any hoo I pulled the wing apart to make room for 2 eflite power 25s 1250kv 10x8 props I'll have to post pics and vids when I get home today can't upload from my iPhone

Cheers

Scott
keoki47 is offline Find More Posts by keoki47
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,318 Posts
Hi g 76 . The one in Pomona at Gary and the 60 -71 interchange.I haven't tried building anything with coroplast . Some people use it.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:53 AM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
727 Posts
that stuff seems kinda heavy, but with enuff power might make a bomb proof airframe...

Greg
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,318 Posts
Hey Greg , yeah heavier than foam. Bomb proof ???? Don't know about that. lol EPO and EPP foam is the most bomb proof I've seen.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
727 Posts
The plane I learned to fly on (back on 4th St before the Ont Mills was there) was made of that corregated plastic, it was an Aircore 40 powered by an OS .46 . Weighed a ton but survived my learning curve
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,237 Posts
Well its an election year so there will be signs all over the place made from this stuff. When its all over get some. They have to gather them up after the election anyway.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:56 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
Well its an election year so there will be signs all over the place made from this stuff. When its all over get some. They have to gather them up after the election anyway.

Tom
Better yet, go collect the ones for your least favorite candidate now. Cuts down the clutter and you can have your model built in time to fly this weekend.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari7up View Post
100% Right

i used one 2200 mAh in paralel for both of them.....about 10 minutes flight.

atari
The wires on the esc that go to the Rx are brown tan yellow. They don't always have a red wire. When I get home I'll check and see what my esc's have. On the road at the moment. And yep I hate being on the road. All my toys are at home.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:18 PM
Ireland, Meath, Ashbourne
Joined Jul 2010
52 Posts
The interest in the corrieboard is that the sheets go up to 8 x 4 off the shelf, and there are also larger sheets in some sizes available to special order. It can be solvent welded, which is a very easy way of assembling, and having picked up a few small samples earlier, the 10mm board is amazingly strong, and the smaller sizes are pretty rigid too, a few pieces of carbon rod down some of the flutes should make it very rigid for some areas.

The local seller also does a high density plastic foam that's a smooth finish on the surface, I've not checked the weight yet, but it looks like it would be very good for things like control surfaces, as it's pretty rigid even in the thin sheet size.

Not sure which way I shall go on that yet, but having looked, it's worth some more experimenting,
Irish Steve is offline Find More Posts by Irish Steve
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Better yet, go collect the ones for your least favorite candidate now. Cuts down the clutter and you can have your model built in time to fly this weekend.

Ted
Some how it seems a little disrespectfull to have a candidates face on a plane. Especially such a nice flying plane If the guy in there now. Well you know.
Last edited by alpea 41; Sep 17, 2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:29 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
1,838 Posts
I agree, but how majestic would it be to see the plane head in full throttle into a mound of dirt!
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm