#10 is a flyer? One would have to admire your dedication
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:28 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
i go crazy when i have nothing to fly. at the moment, its the only one flying. this design takes a lot of abuse, lots a screwy things on #10. the cg is too far forward, the elevator is canted up and the motors have up thrust as well. every time i crash i remount the motors in a slighty differnt angle, right now they one has left thrust, the other right. ive given up on gluing the nose, tape works much better, it gives. (had one with a magnetic nose, great help!)
right now i think i got too much elevator throw, as i tried a dive and loop and got into some death sprial stall.
the wings are also out of wack. i used dollar tree foam, and its too bendable. my alierons have been trimmed some to stop a tip stall from too much throw (im getting a commen theme here.) and only one wing has washout. im not real sure if they are both level, anymore. first few times the wings folded on me.

flying it is fun, in a, 'gee, not to much rudder/alieron/elevator/throttle or she'll fall out of the sky' kind of way.
all in all, it makes a good beater plane. tho i want dehidral in the next one, im getting too much torque roll, tho it might be becuase the alierons are right in the prop wash and they dont sit quite right most of he time.

right now im glueing the most important bits the fuse back together and will make a new alieron later, then she will fly again. tho the 130mah nano dont last very long. but i got a bag full or them

edit: this is actually the worst flying one i have built to date.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:17 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Anyone have a good AUW for the 75% version ?
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:59 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
1,895 Posts
Mine came in at 2lb 4oz, of course my wing is in the middle of a 75 and a 100...
snipeworm is offline Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:44 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
@snipeworm mine calculated AUW should be around 400g, i'm aiming at 500g AUW with 600g of thrust.
my WS is 43 inches btw.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:53 PM
Picture a worm wearing goggles
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
1,895 Posts
Sounds like yours will be great! You can have unlimited vertical or carry a large cargo load!... I have always liked pushing the limits of payload! Mine came in so heavy because I built it stout because I am still new to the sticks and anticipated many rough landings... It was the way to go to because I consistantly beat the crap out of it with bouncing landings and repeated run ins with the basket ball hoops. I also had to use two lipos to get the cg right. I am real happy with mine, good luck to you and your twin!
snipeworm is offline Find More Posts by snipeworm
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:59 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
hey thanks, hopefully mine will come in at 500g and the two motors i use will produce 600g of thrust ( like the spec ).
Mine will probably take a lot of beating when i'm done.
This is my first plane with landing gear and a smooth and long enough surface to fly it. Hopefully my landing gear will hold up.

do you have any measure on control throw on your Aileron, Elevator and Rudder ?

Update : current AUW with 3 servos installed ( Elevator, Rudder, and Cargo door ), Wing with spars ( bamboo skewers ) and 1 nose gear is 150 grams, look like AUW will be 400g at most.

i will need to install a few more bamboo skewers, i installed 10 skewer on the wing and the wing will still pretty flexible, worst case possible i will add strut on each side ( how do i install strut and still keep the wing removable ? )

My wing only flex if i hold it on the wing tip ( or anywhere that past the two huge ailerons ), i think the two huge aileron make the wing a lot weaker. Any tips on making the outer section stronger without adding too much weight ?

I have a vision that i wing will snap when i load it up or when i'm pulling out of a dive.

This is my first plane that estimate AUW will be above 300g, heaviest plane i ever build.
Last edited by StewieRC; Jul 12, 2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:18 AM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,146 Posts
nemo , With all that you declared is going on with that airframe it' must be an Adventure ON EVERY TAKE OFF.
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:54 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
alpea: it alwasy is! tho the one saving grace is half of the time i can keep flying with the damage!
im working on a modifiyed version of the twins that has removable pieces. the idea is the energy of the crash would go into magnets poping off instead of being soaked up by the airframe. a 'crack apart' plane.
ive actually had random down gust push me into the ground (i like to tempt fate and fly 1.5 feet off the ground.)
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
@nemo how many magnets do you think you will use on your breakapart plane ?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:16 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
thinking about building another wing with smaller aileron so my wing outer section will be stronger.

This aileron seem pretty big and i think it will get twitchy on high speed.
Last edited by StewieRC; Jul 12, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:08 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,598 Posts
Just use a taped hinge, Full Length and on Both Sides.

That way the aileron pretty much stays a PART of the Wing !

HIGH SPEED ?
You planning on HIGH SPEED with The Twins ?
Seriously ???

Just kiddin'

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:11 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
i use a full length of tape on my aileron hinge, the wing become really weak if i hold it past the aileron hinge ( the aileron take up about 40% of the wing chord ). I think i'll make another wing with the same aileron length and aileron that will only take up 20% chord, I'm not after hovering this thing, just fly it around and drop stuff.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:32 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,515 Posts
FWIW, I have ailerons and flaps/speed brakes at 40%. Ailerons hinged like BirdOfPrey mentioned. Off set hinges for flaps/speed brakes, so they really are not part of the wing... No real strength (or lack there of) issues to note.

With the ailerons this size, and about 45 degrees of throw and 0% expo, it isn't exactly over sensitive.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:14 PM
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
prop static speed is around 38 mph, fast in my book ( slow in other )
My flying wing goes around 40 mph and the darn thing get small pretty quick, i don't know how people fly a 100 mph+ plane.