HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:56 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,714 Posts
My local DT just started carrying Ready Board . I've used it on a Polaris fuse and today I maidened a SR-71 profile built outta the blackstuff.
JBurkes design
20111223 0243 (3 min 30 sec)
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2011, 01:30 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Nice...Alpea.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Dec 25, 2011, 09:35 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpea 41 View Post
My local DT just started carrying Ready Board . I've used it on a Polaris fuse and today I maidened a SR-71 profile built outta the blackstuff.
JBurkes design
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayndv...layer_embedded
YERKS! That launch looked like my takeoff yesterday with the Twins. Ummm... exciting. Great recovery. I just tell onlookers that is my in-flight control check.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Dec 25, 2011, 11:11 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,714 Posts
I still don't have the progamming learned on the DX7. So I relie on my son to do it. And he didn't set any expo on the elevons... We corrected that and later flights were tamer.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:56 PM
Joined Dec 2011
7 Posts
My friend got me into the hobby and now I am hooked. First plane was a super cub RTF this past summer. Over the winter, he has gotten into building. After many discussions, I have decided to give it a whirl. (first one was a extra 300).

I have followed the plans that I downloaded from this forum, and the fuselage went together pretty well. I was a little confused on which lines to cut or not cut (dashed vs. dotted, etc) so I had to bend some pieces. that actually meant i snapped them. all in all it was pretty cool.

After attaching all the fuselage pieces, it looked like I was missing one. it was the top-tail piece. I have one, but i have some notches that do not line up with anything. This piece is right behind the wing and is about 5 inches long.

Please take a look at the pics, and let me know what you think.
thefinch24 is offline Find More Posts by thefinch24
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:18 AM
Joined Oct 2009
1,073 Posts
[QUOTE=thefinch24;20249502]My friend got me into the hobby and now I am hooked. First plane was a super cub RTF this past summer. Over the winter, he has gotten into building. After many discussions, I have decided to give it a whirl. (first one was a extra 300).

I have followed the plans that I downloaded from this forum, and the fuselage went together pretty well. I was a little confused on which lines to cut or not cut (dashed vs. dotted, etc) so I had to bend some pieces. that actually meant i snapped them. all in all it was pretty cool.

After attaching all the fuselage pieces, it looked like I was missing one. it was the top-tail piece. I have one, but i have some notches that do not line up with anything. This piece is right behind the wing and is about 5 inches long.

Hi Finch,,
Maybe you cut it at the wrong line at the end of the top piece pattern on the paper cut outs??
I've cut parts that way a time or two and went over the plans and notice what I had done..
So just take a quick buggy che3ck on where you were to cut the ends..
Or maybe that part was from another scale PDF plans??
It's all I can think off right now??
Later
Lenny
lennyboy is offline Find More Posts by lennyboy
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:08 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,714 Posts
Nice job finch. Don't sweat the left over parts ... lol
Old Dec 28, 2011, 02:06 AM
Joined Oct 2011
104 Posts
130% Build Update

ok parts list :

D4023-850 Out Runner Motor X2
HobbyKing Red Brick 50A ESC (Opto) X2
Light Foam Wheel Diam: 60, Width: 18.5mm (5pc)
APC style propeller 12x6-E X2
HK15178 Analog Servo 10g / 1.4kg / 0.09s X6
Tail Wheel Assembly [I will Fab this up and make it the nose gear ]

Chart said this motor does data test was : APC Prop 12x6 11.1v 27A 1600g Thrust

so i should get 3200 grams of thrust ? thats a 2:1 thrust to weight ratio .

Will this be enough for my 130 % build ?

is 27 Amps like 270 watts ?

my AUW will be somewhere around 3.5lbs with batterys or about 1590 Grams AUW .

if i wanted to try a 3 blade prop what size ? 11x7 ? can it handle a Master Air screw 11X7 prop ?
bombardierJay is offline Find More Posts by bombardierJay
Last edited by bombardierJay; Dec 28, 2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 03:15 AM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Actually Ted it depends on where you measure it as the surface is irregular and it is manufactured that way. It's intended use is for insulation for floor installation and siding and roofing. The plastic covering is a moisture bearer and the waves are for air circulation. These waves can detract from the looks of the plane, but usually doesn't affect the flying. There are times when you will want to watch how the waves line up with the part you are cutting. For instance a vertical stab if cut with the waves going through horizontally can make for a flimsy and funny looking v stab. The thickness ranges from .22 to .27 and doesn't make very much difference on foamies.

Jay... that should be a very good setup with plenty of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
OBTW, is the FFF you are using 1/4" thick?

Ted
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Dec 28, 2011, 09:29 PM
Cheapskate Parkflyer
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Dec 2008
107 Posts
Congrats on the dual mag spots! Building this once I'm done with ranger school.
ArmyFlight is offline Find More Posts by ArmyFlight
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:30 PM
Bloomfield. Nebraska
Joined Jun 2009
58 Posts
Alpea I see you are using Dollar tree foam. Judging by the nice video of your SR-71, it apparently works quite well for you,. I have used the ready board on a cpl of planes. I am using hot glue and I am not 100 % satisfied with the holding power it has. I use hot glue with BLue Fan fold foam and it holds much better than with the ready board. What are you using to glue the ready board foam and are you satisfied the way it holds?
Thanks
Stan
VoyagerXll is offline Find More Posts by VoyagerXll
Old Dec 29, 2011, 03:24 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,714 Posts
Elmers Carpenters Wood Glue. It soaks thru the paper , makes a strong joint , a little brittle tho and dries within a 1/2 hour . On FFF P. B. I'm using White Gorilla Glue without the water mist. My latest FFF model is this Migtoonie.

My 13yr old son built the Minnn Fun Jet outta $ Tree white R B in 4 hours. He used White Gorilla and it survived 3 Earth strikes so far.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 09:58 AM
Bloomfield. Nebraska
Joined Jun 2009
58 Posts
Your project looks to be a cool plane when finished.....Your son did a good job building the Fun Jet. My builds at times look a bit on the rough side but as long as they fly, I am satisfied

[/I]]My 13yr old son built the Minnn Fun Jet outta $ Tree white R B in 4 hours. He used White Gorilla and it survived 3 Earth strikes so far.[/I]
If white RB survives crashes that is what I should be using.......What is RBwhite?

Thanks
stan
VoyagerXll is offline Find More Posts by VoyagerXll
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:56 AM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,714 Posts
The dollar tree store calls their paper covered foam board," Ready Board".... Ready for what I don't know. lol But I'm learnin it's a pretty cheap alternative to depron for building R/C planes . And it is not nearly as brittle
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Dec 2005
28 Posts
Sketchup Help

I am just now starting to play with Sketchup and really don't know much about the app. I will start researching and learning but before I get started, I have a few questions.

I loaded the SU files from Larry into Sketchup. Would I use sketchup to scale up or down the design then export so I can adjust the scale for print? Was thinking about a 110% or 125% version.

With the SU files already provided, is there a different veiw in the file to show the build view of the plane? I was thinking it would be nice to see the 3d view and then figure out my color scheme on the screen before I start painting the foam. I tried to use the push/pull tool so I could raise the parts and try to build the 3d view but it seems the pieces are somehow protected so I can't change the parts. That or I just don't have any idea what I am doing...

Thanks!
jathef is offline Find More Posts by jathef