HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:20 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
Will two micro p-51 motors be poerful enough for the 35% model?

Thanks
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2010, 05:47 PM
Glenwood Iowa
Joined Sep 2008
163 Posts
Hey all been lurking for a while now am really considering a build. I have 2 O.S. MAX 15 FP (rn) motors - glow and would like to see if the twin can be built big enough for these to work. I have a new flat of blue FF and some $tree foam board and a lot of time coming up during the winter months ahead. Hobby Lobby is only 20 miles north and they have balsa! Any one done this before or could offer advice would be appreciated.
Larry
Gofer 303 is offline Find More Posts by Gofer 303
Old Nov 07, 2010, 07:33 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,870 Posts
IDEA: Could you do something like a SPAD-variation and use those glow engines? That would get you some increased weight and a possible airframe that wouldn't shake apart with glow motors like the foamies.
Just a thought, not my area of expertise; perhaps someone has considered this. Target the size based on an anticipated weight to match what you can pull with these.
Anyone have ideas on that?
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:20 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
8,166 Posts
B.L.D.G.P.

I remember a article a long time ago with that head line....
It means; Build it like the dad gum plans!

Going Nitro and or Spad would be a whole different animal from Foam and tapes original idea here.

I wouldn't give a dollar for any o.s. FP engine ever made. But that's just me.
I do however have two O.S. .10 FSR's n.i.b.

So post up a link if anyone gets a Nitro version going.....
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SliderBat - a GeoBat derivative
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:23 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,844 Posts
Kool, it would be a cool experiment! probably won't hover but I'd love to see some vids/pics.
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Nov 08, 2010, 06:04 AM
Glenwood Iowa
Joined Sep 2008
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
Kool, it would be a cool experiment! probably won't hover but I'd love to see some vids/pics.
I have been looking at twins for a while now and do have a local sign shop here in town that makes signs and have talked to him about getting larger scrap pieces for single wing construction and have no problem with that!
I am not sure on the size of the project as I really have not built much more than nothing but now that I have the motors might be a hoot to try. Any suggestions welcome!
Larry
Gofer 303 is offline Find More Posts by Gofer 303
Old Nov 08, 2010, 06:34 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Quote:
Front landing gear installed and servo attached.
Larry, you might want to put a big Z-bend in that push-rod, to give it a bit of spring.

Otherwise everytime one of those wheels hits a small stone, it'll put a lot of force on the servo gears and could strip them.

There are various other ways of protecting the servo against shock loads, but that's the simplest.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:24 AM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1 View Post
IDEA: Could you do something like a SPAD-variation and use those glow engines? That would get you some increased weight and a possible airframe that wouldn't shake apart with glow motors like the foamies.
Just a thought, not my area of expertise; perhaps someone has considered this. Target the size based on an anticipated weight to match what you can pull with these.
Anyone have ideas on that?
I see no reason why a coroplast version could not be built with glo engines as the power plant should fly well.... might want to add flaps.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Nov 08, 2010, 05:28 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofer 303 View Post
I am not sure on the size of the project as I really have not built much more than nothing but now that I have the motors might be a hoot to try. Any suggestions welcome!
Larry
Good luck Larry. You'll need to get information on how much lift you can get with the wing and motor information to see just how large you can make this bird. It may end up being very heavy, being a flying boxcar; it has a lot of surface area on the fuselage That may drive your size down some. Don't know if you can get some advice from the SPAD thread, but might be worth checking in with those guys or another similar thread.
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
Old Nov 10, 2010, 09:48 AM
Joined Aug 2010
190 Posts
I just cut out the foam for a 75%'er. I take these taped together tiled plans to Office Max and have them laminated then cut out the pieces. This makes a rigid pattern that can be used over and over. A big thanks to the very ingenious F&T brothers and Mr. Larry for the first rate plans.
urpu36 is offline Find More Posts by urpu36
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:05 PM
Joined Aug 2010
190 Posts
I have been following the RCPowers site and he has been working on a VTOL craft for quite some time. I was very surprised to see the video from F&T with their VTOL that seems to work very well. Congrats to the guys at F&T. This is a photo my F150 Hydro built from Depron using RCPowers plans. I must say Mr. Larry's plans are nicer. My next Depron plane is the 75% Cargo twin.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:28 AM
Joined Aug 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper51 View Post
Heres a few photos of the cargo set up I hope to drop soon, I have a dbag and droge to set things in motion. should look cool.
mike
Are those lead free weights????????
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:31 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
397 Posts
That video on post #1 just never gets old!
Whiskey Whiskey is online now Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Nov 11, 2010, 04:27 PM
Joined Aug 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Whiskey View Post
That video on post #1 just never gets old!
That is a FACT!!!!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 09:17 PM
Joined Aug 2010
190 Posts
The funky whirring, squeeking, whirring, squeeking noises the motors make only add to the coolness of the video.