HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:34 PM
Foamy Season is here! MX2#1
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,396 Posts
thanks, oh I will be getting video from ground and onboard of the first drop. we might test the rig with equal load that cant break. the thing I am trying to get working is a way for the droge to pull from the pallet to get out of the plane smooth, then releasing the load to float down level. So far my tests withthe chutes at this weight load it falls fast enough to pull all three chutes open, and then floats nice. stay tuned.
mike
pitviper51 is offline Find More Posts by pitviper51
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:50 AM
Procrashtinating Builder
about 12" from my computer in Jacksonville Fl.
Joined May 2004
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape View Post
I havent yet tried covering the bottom of the undercambered airfoil but i'd imagine it would perform just as vrpilot stated. It should help with flutter as i've done this on my fpv plane.
Not only am I going to cover the bottomwing, but I'm Lengthening the wing span and going with 4 motors!

I've got to get with wmcneal and see if we can lengthen the fuselage too....
( I have too much time on my hands......)
mastrsn is offline Find More Posts by mastrsn
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:22 PM
South Windsor, Connecticut
Joined Oct 2004
62 Posts
I need some advice with my Twins' ramp/door. I had 50 ping-pong balls loaded during our club Fun Fly with members names on them. I was going to drop them from altitude over the target (random, closest wins), but many came out during the climb to altitude. I did a do-over with same partial loss of balls during the climb...(embarrassing for me and my Twins, but I dropped the majority right on.) The balls are shifting rearward and opening the door. I've had this issue at times with other cargo as well.

I was thinking I need some kind of servo actuated latch on a Y harness with the door servo. I mounted my door servo high in the fuselage, near the receiver (with a 6 in. .032 pushrod that pulls the door closed). I though of running a push/pull cable off the other side of the door servo, but it's a long way to the rear of the door. Any thoughts of securing the door?? What do you all do?
Gbee is offline Find More Posts by Gbee
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:36 AM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
Gbee,

I have the same problem with my big cargo plane. Not so much with the lightweight paratroopers, but more with the larger RC skydivers. The weight slides back when climbing and pushes the door open. I have learned to climb at a more shallow angle. That is the only solution I have worked out so far. I will post something if I come up with a better solution.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:11 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Is the door flexing? If so, how about a bit of carbon fiber?
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:02 AM
Vacuum Tubes Forever BCT2/BCR3
MN AZ
Joined Oct 2006
115 Posts
75% version

The twin is about a month old. Similar issues as the 100% version, wing tip flutter on over speed and flexing cargo door. Built with $Tree foam board. Flies GREAT and I do love dropping things!!! Vtail mixer work great, will have to change ESC on 100%. Larry, GREAT tiled plans!

Setup
2204-14T 19grm motors
10 Amp turnigy esc's
3S 1300 20C
GWS vtail mixer.
5grm HXT servos

JohnB
jiberk is offline Find More Posts by jiberk
Last edited by jiberk; Sep 14, 2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 02:30 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Quote:
Any thoughts of securing the door??
You could use another servo on a long lead - put the servo arm on the outside, so it latches the door closed and swings out the way when you want to open it.

Or, change it from a cargo door to a bomb-bay hatch - hinge it at the back and run the pushrod wire through a couple of short pieces of tube at the front, so it works like a door bolt and the servo pulls the wire to unlatch the hatch. Then it'll flap backwards in the breeze, which might look untidy but it won't get in the way during landing.

Or, if you want to get fancy, modify the servo for continous rotation, glue/screw a drum to the output, and use some string to winch the door closed. If you attach the string at the back of the ramp, the servo will have loads of leverage and the ramp won't open accidentally. Opening and closing the door will take longer (probably a few seconds) but you could call that a 'scale feature' ;-)
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Sep 14, 2010, 06:11 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Please excuse this ignorant question. I have never built anything from just plans. I notice there are a bunch of plans on post#1. If I was to take them to any of my office stores for full size plans, which ones do I take them and is there anything special I need to tell them?

I would plan on building the full size. I was thinking about having flashsolutions cut it for me with his phlat, but I think I at least want to TRY to do it myself. Also, what size sheets will I need to order, and how many....Thanks in advance.
Rockin G is offline Find More Posts by Rockin G
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:09 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
RobinBennett, I like your idea of using another servo to latch the door. This might be a good servo for that purpose. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s....2kg_/_0.08sec It's small, light, good rating, inexpensive and best of all, in stock. I'm getting ready to order some things, think I'll add one to the order.
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:01 PM
Sonoma
Joined Jul 2009
237 Posts
I have just received my Twin-Star wing set and it looks like it will work nice. I may increase the trailing edge to fit the width of the fuse with a slight taper to the wing tip. A must is to sand the little mode release finish on the wing, looks better. For the prop clearance i will need to insert some wood about 1.5" min. thickness where the wing joints, for fuse clearance using a 9.6 3 blade prop. I measured the wing and it comes to 57" after the insert. I believe the plans call out for 57" too The tail will be cut to a round early aircraft version and the outer tail fins will look like the B-25 tail. Also ordered the round cowlings that are used for the T.S. sea plane version from park flyer plastics. Super Tiger .10 elect. motors that produce about 300 Watts ea. This will be an FPV plane. with Eagle Tree HUD... airspeed / altimeter and then and upgrade next spring to a UHF long range / antenna tracking system.
FutureVRPilot is offline Find More Posts by FutureVRPilot
Old Sep 15, 2010, 05:43 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jan 2010
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbee View Post
I need some advice with my Twins' ramp/door. I had 50 ping-pong balls loaded during our club Fun Fly with members names on them. I was going to drop them from altitude over the target (random, closest wins), but many came out during the climb to altitude. I did a do-over with same partial loss of balls during the climb...(embarrassing for me and my Twins, but I dropped the majority right on.) The balls are shifting rearward and opening the door. I've had this issue at times with other cargo as well.

I was thinking I need some kind of servo actuated latch on a Y harness with the door servo. I mounted my door servo high in the fuselage, near the receiver (with a 6 in. .032 pushrod that pulls the door closed). I though of running a push/pull cable off the other side of the door servo, but it's a long way to the rear of the door. Any thoughts of securing the door?? What do you all do?
I had that problem and I thought the door was flexing but then I realised it was the pushrod between the servo and the door that was bending. I added a bracket/guide for the pushrod about halfway along and that improved things a lot.
MikeRobey42 is offline Find More Posts by MikeRobey42
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:05 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,396 Posts
today my friends cargo plane made its maiden flight, first one was way tail heavy and took some work. after trimming the wing and adding wieght its flying better. we decided that it needs wing stuts, so stay tuned for updates.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:49 PM
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2005
3,396 Posts
wing core

has anyone used this company to make wings for the cargoplane?

http://flyingfoam.com/launch.html

seems the lodgical thing to do..

I would when I build one.
mike
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:59 PM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cna91 View Post
Please excuse this ignorant question. I have never built anything from just plans. I notice there are a bunch of plans on post#1. If I was to take them to any of my office stores for full size plans, which ones do I take them and is there anything special I need to tell them?

I would plan on building the full size. I was thinking about having flashsolutions cut it for me with his phlat, but I think I at least want to TRY to do it myself. Also, what size sheets will I need to order, and how many....Thanks in advance.
Take the full sheet plans, they have a scale on them.
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:16 AM
belgium-europa
Joined Nov 2009
58 Posts
this is mine...from belgium

hi guys.....

may i proudly present to you my twincargo plane.....
first, i like to thanks "foam an tape", also larry ross who were very helpfull.
the whole plane is changed a little bit, so a made a kind of canopy up on the cockpit...later my flycam2 will be attached there.
also a little different landing gear, who can be replaced by skids for landing in the snow.
some leds are built in the wing and the nose, so i can fly when it is almost dark.

the main wing itselfs is a closed type: much more rigid and lots of space to integrate other things like brake flaps.....

in meanwhile, i'm building a second wing now with ailerons and brake flaps separately, but integrated in the wing, not extended as in the movie.

the roof of the cockpit is also removable, better acces for connecting servo's, lipo and other stuff while the wing is already attached.

i love this plane, Francine too!
this should be the link to my movie on youtube ( i don't know how to show him in this message)
twin cargo plane.wmv (5 min 39 sec)

this little movie was made near by bastogne in belgium, a nice place to fly around.
greetings to you all!

ps: sorry for my "english"-i did the best i can
beemer-san is offline Find More Posts by beemer-san