Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:50 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,904 Posts
I have had the Skycharger for one week. I used it successfully for about 7 or 8 times. Once to charge a battery, the other times I used the Storage function to get batteries into the storage mode. Last night the LCD started to malfunction while in Storage mode. All the characters get lit up randomly. If I push the Increase button to go to another screen, it blanks out.

When I unplug and then re-plug it back in, it would start out okay and then if I pushed Increase button to look at the balance voltages the LCD characters would get all messed up and then the screen would go blank.

Now when I power it up, the LCD screen and characters are all messed up. The charger has become unusable.

I am going to contact Hobbypartz.com and hopefully they will do the right thing and replace this charger.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:10 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2007
1,269 Posts
sent in for credit

After having persistent issues with my replacement unit, I'm opting to send mine back for store credit, which I will promptlly use I'm sure, blue lipos probably.

I think this charger still needs work.

BTW, I'm parallel charging 4 6s 5000 packs with my iCharger 106b, it is incredible! I really dont need another charger at this point anymore. The iChargers (progressiverc.com) are a bit pricey (in comparison), but pretty amazing. Check out the threads on RCGroups, especially the one on parallel charging.

This is not to take away from the typically good products that hobbypartz sells.

Ben
skinnydoc is offline Find More Posts by skinnydoc
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:08 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,904 Posts
Well, they have given me an RMA numbers to send it back for exchange. I certainly hope all the Skychargers are not FUBAR because it really seems like a nice charger. I would just like it to last more than a few uses, lol.

Something interesting about this charger I have found out and I am not sure about what the deal is:

If you download the software, it is software from IMAX. SO, it would seem the Skycharger is a Imax battery charger product. However, if you go to the SkyRC website, that makes the Imax chargers, they have instituted an "anti-fraud" method to help identify fakes. As is commonly known I think, China has a really bad reputation for copying things and pumping out look-a-like fake products. Anyway, at SkyRC thay show that a special hologram sticker is applied to the bottom of genuine SkyRC manufactured products and they claim if you have a so called SkyRC charger that does not have this hologram sticker, then it is a fake!

My charger does not have the hologram sticker.

http://www.skyrc.us/antifake/indexen.php

http://www.skyrc.us/indexhome.htm?#/.../Charger/b6ap/
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:22 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2007
1,269 Posts
new 200W charger on hobbypartz....

you may want to exchange for
http://www.hobbypartz.com/h610-hotpower-charger.html
its more like the iCharger. It has a much higher 200W rating. Its great running 10A.

I cant speak to the "fake" issue.

Ben
skinnydoc is offline Find More Posts by skinnydoc
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joined Mar 2010
2 Posts
B6ac problem

How do i get warranty on my b6ac.
It's brand new and doesn't work in lipo fast charge mode
iceman96 is offline Find More Posts by iceman96
Old Mar 29, 2010, 12:23 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,429 Posts
What does it do when you try it in that mode?
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 07:52 PM
Plaurence
Joined Jul 2009
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman96 View Post
How do i get warranty on my b6ac.
It's brand new and doesn't work in lipo fast charge mode
I was trying to decide between the B6AC or the FMX cellpro multi4.

Just made up my mind. I buy an FMA multi4
plaurence is offline Find More Posts by plaurence
Old Apr 21, 2010, 09:22 PM
Coon Rapids, MN
Joined Dec 2007
6 Posts
Sky Charger B6AC

I also had the same problems as before mentioned. The first unit I purchased failed to charge any battery. I would plug in a battery and hit charge only to have the unit restart. I don't know what angered me more, the fact that I had to pay return shipping on a defective product, the attitude and belittling treatment from the people at Hobbypartz or the wait for the replacement to arrive. The replacement seems to work fine however I cannot get the software to work in Windows 7. Has any one else run into this?
iflybell is offline Find More Posts by iflybell
Old May 21, 2010, 06:54 PM
Joined May 2010
1 Posts
I have the SkyCharger B6AC great product...but. After using the charger with an external
DC supply when I went back to AC the Charger will no longer turn on in that mode. I
measured the output from the switching power supply at 12 v. dc so I suspect the problem
is a firmware thing. At any rate I can not find out who manufactures the charger. If anyone
has an idea on this please let me know.
RudderRider is offline Find More Posts by RudderRider
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:35 AM
Joined Jun 2010
1 Posts
Figuring the upper limit of the charge current

Hi, total newb here in charging. I have a SkyCharger B6AC and charging a 1100 mah NIMH battery.

It suggests in 'auto mode' to set the "current limit" to make sure it does not go over.

How do I figure out the current limit? Is that 1.1 amps with a 1100 mah batter?
MacPharlan is offline Find More Posts by MacPharlan
Old Jul 16, 2010, 04:36 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2002
144 Posts
Hi all
I need help with the software.
During charge, the softeare says "Disconnected" and the graph is keep refreshing but no data is shown. However, charging is done fine to the battery.
Is there anything I should try in the software ?
jrotor is offline Find More Posts by jrotor
Old Dec 22, 2010, 11:59 PM
Guatemala
Joined Jul 2010
1 Posts
Hi all

I just bought a SkyCharger B6AC+ and when trying to charge, balance or discharge my battery a StarMAx 11.1v 2200mAh StarMax na, I get the message connection break. What will be the subject of this post, and check that the battery is properly connected.

Thanks for your reply.
aajerezp is offline Find More Posts by aajerezp
Last edited by aajerezp; Dec 23, 2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:45 AM
india
Joined May 2010
486 Posts
I've ordered this charger recently.After reading about these problems,I'm slightly worried.Does anyone know if the problems have been solved?

PS:sorry for reviving this thread but thought that this would be the best place to ask my question.
iamahuman is offline Find More Posts by iamahuman
Last edited by iamahuman; May 13, 2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 08:05 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,429 Posts
I haven't had any problems with mine.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old May 13, 2011, 11:36 AM
india
Joined May 2010
486 Posts
well,that is a relief.Any more guys?
iamahuman is offline Find More Posts by iamahuman