HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:02 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
Build Log
Build Log - The World Models - SPITFIRE EP (40)

Got mine in the mail this week and have begun the build.

The package arrive double-boxed as usual from airborne-models.

Everything inside is bagged very nicely and taped down. It's actually quite a pain to get everything out.

Wing Span : 50 in / 1270 mm
Wing Area : 446.4 sq in / 28.8 sq dm
Flying Weight : 3.6 lb / 1640 g
Fuselage Length : 42 in / 1065 mm
Requires : 5-channel radio w/5 mini servos, Outrunner Motor KM0374810 w/ Propeller Adaptor HW2340102, 40A brushless ESC, 4 cells

http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p...airplaneid=224

and

http://ecsvr.com/abm/shopexd.asp?id=2912
djmoose is offline Find More Posts by djmoose
Last edited by djmoose; Oct 23, 2009 at 10:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:06 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
I'm still waiting for my ESC to become "in-stock" but I've decided to get started.

First step are the control surfaces. I applied the control horns first before gluing the hinges...is just easier. Here are pics of both wings and the stabilizer.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 10:43 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
Here's the stabilizers being attached.

WARNING! The manual says to glue the rear stabilizer in first, and then insert the vertical stabilizer. However, the way that things are grooved, you need to glue the vert stab to the horiz stab...and then slide the whole assembly into the rear of the fuse.

It pays to test fit everything. You're going to be screwed if the horiz stab gets glued in there without the virt stab. The last two pics show the grooves and how they fit together.
Last edited by djmoose; Oct 13, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 09:00 AM
Fond du Lac WI
Joined Apr 2008
131 Posts
hi DJ,

i have the smaller spit from world models and it flies very well, just a pain in the arse to have to take the wing off to change out batteries everytime!! so im looking at this one or the P-51 not sure which one i like batter yet

is the battery compartment easy to access and have plenty of room for the packs ? could you please post a couple pics of the fuse and battery erea for us ?

thanks

bassman
bassmanh is offline Find More Posts by bassmanh
Old Oct 12, 2009, 09:43 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
Not a problem. Here are some pics. I hope this conveys the size. I'm waiting for my 4S pack to come in the mail, so I threw my zippy 3S 2200 in there so you get an idea of the size of the batt compartment.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:59 PM
Fond du Lac WI
Joined Apr 2008
131 Posts
dj,

thanks for posting the pics. now i have an idea of the size now one other question for you, does the plane come with the motor mount shown in the instruction manual ? or is that part of the motor/set-up from world models ? i have a nice axi 2820/10 that needs a home and it runs very good on my zippy 3s 3700mah packs swinging a 12x8 prop.

so now i just have to decide which plane i like better and when the money will be available to buy it . LOL till then i will fly my smaller WM spit.

bassman
Old Oct 17, 2009, 09:56 AM
Fond du Lac WI
Joined Apr 2008
131 Posts
dj,

any new progress on the WM 40 spit ? am a bit anxious to see how it turns out and flies, please keep us updated with the build

bassman
Old Oct 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
Absolutely!

I just received my Hobbywing Pentium 40A Brushless ESC with UBEC (switched)
http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...d=2&item_id=51

and GForce 25C 2200mAh 14.8V LiPo

http://www.valuehobby.com/product_de...d=9&item_id=69

Now I'm waiting for my servos to come from Hong Kong. I don't want to glue the wing together until I get the aileron servos in.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 03:25 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
The servos have arrived!

Ok, next step is to do the recessed aileron servo mounting. This requires that you glue pieces of balsa to the compartment covers and then mount the servos.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:44 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
The Aileron servos are installed in the wings.

Two things to mention here:

1. In both wings, the strings that are there to fish your servo leads through, were both glued somewhere in the middle of the wing by accident...making them useless. I didn't want to pull too hard as I couldn't see how or what they were glued too. Luckily, it's a straight shot, so I used a piece of tape and a spare carbon fiber rod to get the leads through.

2. The screws they give you to bolt the hatches down are small, self tapping HEX screws. Not sure why...maybe to force you to be careful when screwing them in...one false move and there's a new hole in your wing. Also, the wood that they screw into isn't very soft at all...so you need to apply some pressure...just be careful. You've been warned!! lol
Old Oct 20, 2009, 08:54 AM
Akron, Ohio
Joined Oct 2009
56 Posts
djmoose....great pictures on your build job! Good going.

Doug
VonDougage is offline Find More Posts by VonDougage
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:18 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
The wings have come together!

I used a popcile stick to get the epoxy into the joiner sleeves...and lined the rest of the contact surfaces.

I even got this $10 60" clamp from Harbor Freight to help hold it together nice and tight.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:43 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
Next up is mounting the motor.

The only 'wierd' thing about this was that I needed to get the dremel out to open one of the front holes up a little bit to fit the motor wires through.

Other then that, it mounts very simple.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 05:45 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,281 Posts
Time for the pilot.

Nothing out of the ordinary. He's held in there with doube-sided tape. The canopy and cowl mount with 4 self-taping screws.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:37 PM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Jul 2007
108 Posts
Hi djmoose,

I have two latest edition warbird from TWM, Mustang and AT-6. I'm quite interested with this model too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmoose View Post
The only 'wierd' thing about this was that I needed to get the dremel out to open one of the front holes up a little bit to fit the motor wires through.
I had to do same thing with AT-6 motor mount. I has one small size motor mount with similiar issue.

good luck with build and maiden.

-Gooz
Goozer is offline Find More Posts by Goozer