HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2009, 10:27 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,804 Posts
Discussion
I am sure this has been hashed over and over OLIVDUDU you around??

It snowed today....and what does a guys thoughts turn to? Building!

I am sure this topic has been bashed around and I am thinking of another camera platform that works well in the conditions I live in. The design that comes to mind is our friendly Frenchman OLIVDUDU . Needs no wheels, can slide in on rougher terrain, hand toss, good power to weight and has durability, as in can bounce!

I have never worked with foam but it sounds like a good solution.

The Telemaster is great, dont get me wrong but something smaller and can easily be launched and landed in a small space is very appealing..........any suggestions?

CG
Canada Goose is offline Find More Posts by Canada Goose
Last edited by Canada Goose; Oct 10, 2009 at 11:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2009, 10:59 PM
USA, TX, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2004
1,365 Posts
Hey Mike! Check with Vince at username VPatron. He has been flying a foamie called the "Frog" which was developed by a friend of his and designed another bird called the Surveyor which sounds like they may fit the bill. Hey Vince, are you out there?

Larry
txflyboys2 is offline Find More Posts by txflyboys2
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:18 AM
Ky
Joined Feb 2003
1,498 Posts
CG, I have been having the same thoughts, no snow here yet, but the weather is getting cooler. Since getting my Gum camera, I have been wanting to get a better camera and build a plane for it. I have been looking at the F Plane for winter flying, designed by troynh here on the Groups.(see link below) Hand launch, and has a foam ski of sorts in the front for landing on, looks like it would be very good for gliding in on snow. The semi symetrical wing would also be good for those less than calm flying sessions that winter usually brings with it. Check his blog for another great looking hand launch/skid landing design.(That one might be even better for snow, as the "ski" is taller and longer)
Dave
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881734
Dave Barrow is offline Find More Posts by Dave Barrow
Last edited by Dave Barrow; Oct 10, 2009 at 08:25 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:46 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,384 Posts
Another, simple good design is "CanFlyLands". Good luck on your build and keep us informed.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Here are some interesting kits.
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V582668
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:38 PM
Worn-out the seat of my pants
Dorset UK
Joined Dec 2006
922 Posts
I have the 1m FIK with a brushless setup. It's an excellent design but a little small for AP. Flyingwings.co.uk should be marketing a larger one of the pusher V-trainer version soon. I think FIK gliders are available up to 1.5m but I can't find one that size.
Lomcevac is offline Find More Posts by Lomcevac
Last edited by Lomcevac; Oct 10, 2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Another floater that would make a good camera plane is a Tower Vista. I have one that I raised the wing up on so that I could put a motor behind it and it's a very good flier. Very stable and stays in the air forever.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:48 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
You could try a twin boom pusher....
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Oct 10, 2009, 11:31 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,804 Posts
Anyone building or flying something along these lines?
Last edited by Canada Goose; Oct 11, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
UFO with BIG motor........... (3 min 25 sec)

Check this out CG. I'm still working out bugs but it's very promising. Not exactly small but flies slowly and will take off and land on a dime Of course mine is overbuilt Last night I replaced the micro servos with standards and moved them to the center of the plane. I just don't trust micros on my AP planes. I've installed Hitec BB servos. My next thing will be to paint it after I've flight tested it again. I'm thinking silver.
Old Oct 11, 2009, 02:25 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,804 Posts
THis is what I am after.......Olividudu must be away.....anyone have any info on his plane...anyone?

CG
Old Oct 11, 2009, 02:26 PM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
984 Posts
Hi Mike

SNOW!!! Holy cow it was 23 degrees and sunny here yesterday!!

Do you mean Olivier's mean machine here . I was considering building one back in the Summer because I like the concept for the same reasons as you, but its beyond my cutting facilities/ability. Maybe Olivier will cut a couple of kits and sell them to us

Cheers
DaveB...>
GliderGuideMan is offline Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan
Old Oct 11, 2009, 03:45 PM
Canada, AB, Lethbridge
Joined Jun 2002
1,804 Posts
YEAH that's the one!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't use French wine or cheese to entice him any thoughts as to what will work? He must be busy working or away I have tried to PM him so one day when he is back he will be bombarded with requests.

I was impressed with how the plane flew, it's size, where the camera was located, how it was hand launched and then just slid to a stop no matter the landing surface.....it's perfect for many jobs I have in mind.

It would be fantastic if Olivier would consider cutting a couple of kits and sell them....let's remember Dave that you and I are first in line!

As for snow...I would rather not talk about it to be honest brrrrrr

CG
Old Oct 11, 2009, 08:30 PM
San Diego/Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2004
1,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Goose
Anyone building or flying something along these lines?
Hi Canada Goose, Larry/TxFlyBoys2 and all,

Haha! I recognize that funky design in that post. Wow, you dug up and old thread there!

Yes, Canada Goose, the "SuperFrog" is the basis for the present Nortap flyer, or whatever you want to call our airplane.

The nose is much more rounded now, and looks much nicer. It's very stable and flies really slow. Those 2-channel cheapo kiddie planes will fly faster than this thing fully loaded. Yes, we just catch it or skid it on the ground, no landing gears. It's very safe also because it's foam, it's a pusher prop, and it flies slow. The only downside is the undercambered wing is not very good in the wind.

It's still flying the original wing I cut in the Philippines years ago using the improvised Gilligan's Island bamboo hotwire cutter. But it's showing it's age after probably flying 50 paying missions. It's crashed and been recovered from 4 trees now and had many, many hard landings.

The basic design is the same as the old thread, except the nose is much more rounded now and looks nicer. All the info is there.

I think I have a video of it flying (when we shot the World Tour thing going around). I can do a quick edit and post it.

-Vince
vpatron is offline Find More Posts by vpatron
Last edited by vpatron; Oct 12, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 05:36 PM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,598 Posts
Hello Mike! hello Dave!

Back on rc group for a short while, I leave again next thursday
Sure, the cnc machine is becoming dusty...I will have to cope with that soon on november.

I PM you mails.

cheers !

olivier
olivdudu is offline Find More Posts by olivdudu