HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2009, 02:40 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Discussion
DSX9 Special Edition quickly out of juice!Why?

Hello guys

I have a 1 and a half week new JR DSX9 Special Edition in gold.

Now I put my DSX9 on a 24 hour charge like recommended on last weeks thursday night..till the morning of saturday..

The battery is a 1500mah nimh 9.6v battery...also charged was the battery for the receiver...
I used the Tx on saturday for like 10 minutes..to check some things..but was not then yet ready to change over from my dx6i to my dsx9 special edition.

Now ...today...When I opened up the DSX9 box..I turned on the Tx and the display showed on the battery it was instead of like 11v from last saturday now on 9v...
I thought ok...I then went ahead and did bind my F-35...Which went well..
Then the battery low alarm went on..and on and on.

I thought...you kidding me? I did not use once the Tx in 1 week and the battery went gone by itself? I mean holy crap!?

Is this normal? Is it cause it is a nimh battery and it drains itself?

The nimh battery is plugged in the tx all the time..as it is not recommended to unplug it..

But I wanna exchange it to a lipo with 2 diodes which my friend is preparing for me with my 2x2650mah lipo 3 cell batteries.

Now..is this something that is normal? Each night before I go flying I need to charge this Tx up?

This is by the way the same like the JR x9303 I think.

Need clarification please...I am charging my tx now since like 30 minutes..tomorrow morning it should be hopefully be ready.

Regards

Neversommer.

Xpress...you sure again first poster.
neversommer is offline Find More Posts by neversommer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2009, 03:37 PM
Wanaka, NZ
Joined Mar 2009
601 Posts
I hate rechargeable batteries in my tx. I just run off the shelf lithiums in my dx6i and they last for months. No stress.
qman is offline Find More Posts by qman
Old Oct 09, 2009, 04:08 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
The batteries need to be cycled. New NiXX batteries fresh from the factory won't hold a charge for very long at first and need to be cycled, by charging/discharging a few times. Also, it's common for a Tx NiMH to be discharged after sitting a week, or having little charge left. They aren't like lipos- lipos will hold their charge for years, NiXX's will not.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 09, 2009, 07:39 PM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
599 Posts
Keep a close watch on it- My DX-7 had a bad 1500 battery when new and would not hold a full charge- I had to recharge before every use and it would hit the alarm very early in the flying session- Replaced it with a 2700 from cheap battery packs.com and now it is awesome.
I would keep a log on how long you charge and how long it lasts- If it doesn't get better after a few cycles you could have a problem with the battery. I thought at first the radio was an amp hog - but it turned out just to be a battery with a bad cell.

Cub Fan
Cub Fan is offline Find More Posts by Cub Fan
Old Oct 10, 2009, 04:27 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Well I have now my Tx charged overnight ....
When I turned it on this morning it was on 11.4v...now after 15minutes it is allready on 11.0v
Something seems to me that it is not right....
That is quite fast that it is loosing the batterie so quickly....
Could the battery be really now a bad battery?

I still have those 2 x2650mah 3 cell lipo transmitter batteries which my friend will solder on 2 diodes to lower the inital voltage...

I just think something is a bit wrong...

Now it went back up to 11.1v .....

Well as long as the Tx is allright I am happy... I have these 2 lipos on side....
Old Oct 10, 2009, 05:14 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Since the time of my last post..it is now on 10.6v and keeps dropping.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:21 AM
7000mw of raw power!
New Hampshire (not the old one)
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
The batteries need to be cycled. New NiXX batteries fresh from the factory won't hold a charge for very long at first and need to be cycled, by charging/discharging a few times. Also, it's common for a Tx NiMH to be discharged after sitting a week, or having little charge left. They aren't like lipos- lipos will hold their charge for years, NiXX's will not.
X... X... X... As usual you're just making stuff up again. New batteries rarely need cycling. It's usually old ones that have been sitting around for a long time (years).

And note that modern low self-discharge NiMh have shelf life similar to Lipo. They will sit for months w/o losing power.
rich smith is offline Find More Posts by rich smith
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:27 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversommer
Well I have now my Tx charged overnight ....
When I turned it on this morning it was on 11.4v...now after 15minutes it is allready on 11.0v
Something seems to me that it is not right....
That is quite fast that it is loosing the batterie so quickly....
Could the battery be really now a bad battery?

I still have those 2 x2650mah 3 cell lipo transmitter batteries which my friend will solder on 2 diodes to lower the inital voltage...

I just think something is a bit wrong...

Now it went back up to 11.1v .....

Well as long as the Tx is allright I am happy... I have these 2 lipos on side....
Ni batteries lose voltage very quickly initially then level off. You should be more concerned about how much time before the TX shuts down than worrying about voltages. If run time is too short just get new batteries and you should be good for another couple years.

Lipos do not give significantly more flying time and are considerably more risky for use in a TX.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:47 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich smith
Ni batteries lose voltage very quickly initially then level off. You should be more concerned about how much time before the TX shuts down than worrying about voltages. If run time is too short just get new batteries and you should be good for another couple years.

Lipos do not give significantly more flying time and are considerably more risky for use in a TX.
Sorry but that is just not the way to go..on my dx6i I change batteries every month or more..now I need to charge the stupid nimh battery every night before going flying?

Sorry in my point of view..the battery is not working correctly. It is loosing so fast the voltage that in a half day's time the battery will be gone and will reach 9.0v and then will sound the alarm.

Lipo's may be more risky...but my battery is for sure not working a 100% correct.

That is a fact..I had to put my tx again on charge as it reached 10.3v allready...and that in around 2 hours time...JR manual states that on a 2600mah nimh battery the Tx should last 15-16 hours...
Now I have a 1500mah 9.0v nimh battery...
Allready in 2 hours it dropped from 11.4 to 10.3v?
Something is not working ok there, that is for sure!
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:56 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Quote:
Sorry but that is just not the way to go..on my dx6i I change batteries every month or more..now I need to charge the stupid nimh battery every night before going flying?

Sorry in my point of view..the battery is not working correctly. It is loosing so fast the voltage that in a half day's time the battery will be gone and will reach 9.0v and then will sound the alarm.

Lipo's may be more risky...but my battery is for sure not working a 100% correct.

That is a fact..I had to put my tx again on charge as it reached 10.3v allready...and that in around 2 hours time...JR manual states that on a 2600mah nimh battery the Tx should last 15-16 hours...
Now I have a 1500mah 9.0v nimh battery...
Allready in 2 hours it dropped from 11.4 to 10.3v?
Something is not working ok there, that is for sure!
I have the same transmitter as you and I get hours of use with cheap Ray-o-vac 2100mah Hybrids from Target. It is a power hungry TX but I do not worry about voltages, only flying time. My Hitec focus gets about 3x more time but my Futaba is still not that bad.

Apparently you need new batteries. Good luck with the lipos.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 07:05 AM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Quote:
I have the same transmitter as you and I get hours of use with cheap Ray-o-vac 2100mah Hybrids from Target. It is a power hungry TX but I do not worry about voltages, only flying time. My Hitec focus gets about 3x more time but my Futaba is still not that bad.

Apparently you need new batteries. Good luck with the lipos.
Well If I solder on 2 diodes on the lipo it will lower the voltage enough for it to be out of danger.

That is what most people do on Tx with nimh batteries..they solder 1 or 2 diodes on the lipo and use it then in the tx successfully.
I have also send the place I bought it from an email about this issue.

That is is going down that fast is not possible?

So you from Australia then when you bought it from target right?

So you bought a no name or no brand 2100mah nimh battery and plugged it into the tx ?

Neversommer.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 07:44 AM
7000mw of raw power!
Joined Dec 2006
5,987 Posts
Quote:
Well If I solder on 2 diodes on the lipo it will lower the voltage enough for it to be out of danger.

So you from Australia then when you bought it from target right?

So you bought a no name or no brand 2100mah nimh battery and plugged it into the tx ?

Neversommer.
The main issue with lipos is if you forget to turn off the TX the battery is damaged. Other stuff about having to use diodes etc and houses burning down is not as serious to me.

USA. And Ray-o-Vac is not considered "no-name" here. Neither is Kodak, Duracell, Sanyo, etc. who also make "LOW DISCHARGE" NiMh. For some mysterious reason Eneloops are most popular here on RCG. Any of these are better than NiCd, regular NiMh, or lipos IMO.

You can learn a lot doing a search on "eneloop".
Old Oct 10, 2009, 10:36 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,878 Posts
Neversommer,
The rated voltage of that battery pack is 9.6 volts. The surface charge of voltages up to 11.4 volts are just that, a surface charge that will dissipate quite rapidly. My Tx show 11.5 volts hot off the charger and quite rapidly goes down to the mid 10's. It holds there for quite some time and eventually goes down to 9.6 but only after hours of operation. I charge mine whenever the voltage gets close to 9 volts. Tx cutoff is 8.4 volts. Stop worrying, charge and go fly. Stuffing a lipo in your Tx just adds to the complexity, wears out the connector as you should remove the lipo for charging and IMO is just not worth the hassle.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Oct 10, 2009, 12:49 PM
Luzern/Switzerland
Joined Aug 2008
2,894 Posts
Hello guys and thank you for the many posts here.

Ok I went today flying with my plane the f9f panther from graupner...I have to say you are right gary...from 11.4 it dropped to around mid 10's and then kinda stopped...it stopped at around 10.5v and never went further down my entire 3 flights.
But sadly...all blades from my impeller broke and I could land the panther smoothly..

Now I need to get a new impeller blade's..

But I gotta tell you...the control of the plane now with my dsx9 is waysssssssssssssss more smooth and accurate then on my dx6i...seriously...I can really nicely make turns with the setup I have right now...

From the technological point of view...this Tx really got me today and proved to me it was well worth the investment !

Now I just need to figure out with the trim settings...you can change the trim settings on it..that it will trim more with 1 click or less...Hard to explain..but might change that as well a bit...

Like smooth trimming or a bit more trim with another setup so that the servo is doing bigger steps.

But I am very happy and really turned the heads today on the field my with golden tx.

Even the Futaba the high tech one..T27 or something looked a old next to it

Seriously happy DSX9 Customer !
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:04 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
X... X... X... As usual you're just making stuff up again. New batteries rarely need cycling. It's usually old ones that have been sitting around for a long time (years).

And note that modern low self-discharge NiMh have shelf life similar to Lipo. They will sit for months w/o losing power.
How am I making stuff up?

I've always done it like this, and most DO need cycling (new NiMH from modern companies).

LOW self discharge NiMH's don't need cycling, this I know.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..