SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2009, 12:06 PM
Encinitas, CA
Joined Jun 2007
176 Posts
Discussion
Flying B At Poway This Sunday

Mike Smith, Tom Kiesling and myself are flying F3B with the course set up late morning on Sunday. The plan is to fly for the rest of the day.
Anyone joining us?
marios is offline Find More Posts by marios
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2009, 12:19 PM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Bastards, I am uber jealous.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Oct 09, 2009, 12:32 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
What time?

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Oct 09, 2009, 01:11 PM
Encinitas, CA
Joined Jun 2007
176 Posts
start at 10.30
Old Oct 09, 2009, 01:56 PM
or F, J, K, or even TD
Joined Jun 2007
2,914 Posts
I should be out there around 11 ish. But will be staying until dark.

Mike
FLY F3B is offline Find More Posts by FLY F3B
Old Oct 10, 2009, 03:35 PM
Encinitas, CA
Joined Jun 2007
176 Posts
looks like we are going to start a bit earlier...around 9am. Tom K, Mike S, Steve Condon and myself so far.
Klein, you suck man!!
Anyone else interested?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:17 PM
Joined Nov 2004
2,071 Posts
Did my flyin today. You guys have a ball! Go fast!

K
Kyle Paulson is offline Find More Posts by Kyle Paulson
Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:48 PM
Eggcellent...
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
I'm in.

Tom
Old Oct 12, 2009, 07:16 AM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,634 Posts
So how was it? New PBs (to shock us here in europe)?

At least you make us jealous, first winter indications over here make flying harder...

Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: US F3B Teamselects
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:51 AM
Eggcellent...
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
No PBs that I'm aware of. Good weather in the low-mid 70s, some nice breezes in the afternoon. We were wishing for some grass on the field, as the sun-baked Poway dirt can be rough on planes.

Six pilots flew.

Tom
Old Oct 12, 2009, 11:16 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,527 Posts
Lame recap Tom, inquiring and jealous minds want to know How fast did the new FS3 go for you? Who got fast time of the day, and how fast was it? ...
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:18 PM
Eggcellent...
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
The FS3 is way better than I am...which is to say I still suck at speed. Didn't fly as heavy as I should have since it was the first time out with ballast. I don't have the time sheet, but as I recall the fast time was in the low 15s. Mike S. did one and I think Tom K. had one too. Aaron V. was the most consistent with several runs in the mid-low 16s.

Typical Poway afternoon winds, which got us breaking lines one after the other. Switched to small drums/heavier line to finish out the day.

Tom
Old Oct 12, 2009, 06:07 PM
San Diego
Joined Aug 2004
2,278 Posts
Lift was very cyclic, but good practice conditions.

Times were fast and slow depending on the air. Aaron was the most consistent. I only flew a few runs - broke a few lines when the wind picked up. My fastest was a 15.5x.

Mike Smith had a 15.7x and Aaron had the fast time of the day after coaxing a buzz out of Mario for a 15.4x.

Mario had the most exciting run after thermaling up to 3x+ launch height after a line break. Airplane went real fast, but the course was really long and diagonal. It isn't every day you get to practice flying at sub 12 second speeds . . . anyway, the time was 16.xx seconds - but fun to watch.

Tom
Kiesling is offline Find More Posts by Kiesling
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:03 AM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,610 Posts
It was interesting air and a good time overall. It felt good to get out and fly again! Very light to non-existent wind with thermals cycling thru very regularly. It was good light line practice. It's fun to launch into a tail wind knowing that the thermal is right where you want it...no tension, wait for it, then boom!

Tom K had a very cool run where he had a mediocre launch and dove low into the course with a thermal sitting right in the middle. I was running the B buzzer and watched his model acelerate out of every turn for a 15.5..great run.

A big blow came through and we popped most of the lines. Took forever to replace and get back up running again.

We had a great cross section of models out. I flew my Radical, Tom^2 with the FS3, Mike flew the Target, Mario with a Tanga, Other Mike with a Precious and Steve C with a Ceres, though programming kept him from flying.

I'm looking forward to next time.

-Aaron
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Oct 13, 2009, 06:51 AM
F3B and F3K
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2009
1,634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaldes
A big blow came through and we popped most of the lines. Took forever to replace and get back up running again.
Yeah, broken lines can really slow down a training session. We tend to use more conservative line diameter for training, however one needs also some training with the real competition set up (i.e. small line diameter).

Was the mighty altitude obtained within the 1 minute rule? We also tried measured speed runs from insane altitudes, just to get a feeling how a sub 13 run would look like . But for the crazy fast speeds you still need the good air in the course (Just an observation from several competitions, in most cases circling doesn't help for speed an distance, it is better to use the good air in the course as long as it is there).

Reto
RetoF3X is offline Find More Posts by RetoF3X
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RetoF3X; Oct 13, 2009 at 06:59 AM.