Old Apr 06, 2010, 02:43 PM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
577 Posts
Good Maiden

Hi jw:

Yes, I did get to maiden last week.

I took Big 'Poke and Sport 40 'Poke out Thursday the first of April. I wanted to fly the 40 and do engine runs and taxi Big 'Poke around to get some time on the engine. Ran a couple of more tanks thru the Magnum .91. Flew the 40, 4 times and figured one last tank thru the .91. All was going well and on the first run down the field on the last tank Big 'Poke decided it was time to fly. He lifted off in ground effect and started a gentle climb so I added power and went up. Very good flight, the trim was almost perfect which is why he lifted off before I even knew it. I wasn't planning on flying him so I didn't have my video camera.

Our weather has been punk since so I haven't been able to get back out. Weekend coming up looks better right now and I WILL have the video camera with me next time.

Have you been able to fly your Big Cub-Bee yet ? I haven't started my own version of your Cub-Bee yet. Several other projects going.

Best,

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Apr 06, 2010 at 06:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:31 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
That's great, its always a good feeling when a maiden goes without a hitch. So did the extra wing area seem to make a difference over the 40 size? As for my Cub Bee it hasn't been touched since the vid. I am out of town for the better part of the month on a job so a maiden will be early May.
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Apr 06, 2010, 06:14 PM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
577 Posts
Extra Wing Area

Hi jw:

I could definitely feel the extra wing area. It felt very light and I am really anxious to try out the flaps. I did not try them at all on the unplanned maiden since I had not done the flap to elevator mix. The way the aircraft felt I am sure it will baloon like mad, the upside is it should make for some really great slow flight. I will try about 7% down elevator with flaps on the first notch and see where I go from there.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee