SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:18 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeceeveecee View Post
Hi jw:

Great shots of you C-B. The landing gear looks great. I really like the lines of your C-B and from your video I know it flys great. Will Bigger C-B have the same lines ?
Yes the 64" version will have the same covering pattern, I'm still torn on another yellow, black, blue scheme or do it in white, red, black On your AUW, I wouldn't worry With all that wing area it will float in when needed and the extra wing loading might help with wind penetration.
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2009, 02:25 PM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
All Up Weght

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitacre View Post
Yes the 64" version will have the same covering pattern, I'm still torn on another yellow, black, blue scheme or do it in white, red, black On your AUW, I wouldn't worry With all that wing area it will float in when needed and the extra wing loading might help with wind penetration.
Hi jw:

I think the white,red and black colors are so complimentary to each other that almost any pattern would look great.

Your right on the AUW, with approximately 1350 sq/in even at ten pounds I am still about 17/18 oz sq/ft and with that weight/area combination it will be nothing for the YS .91 Supercharged.

Tom
teeceeveecee is online now Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Dec 01, 2009, 06:34 PM
United States, FL, Palmetto
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Hey Tom,
Chris here, got the little Slowpoke done! Wound up putting my LA .40 OS on her. I know it is a .25 size airplane, but got looking at the 40 and it is just about the same case size as the 25. Flew her this weekend and it is AWSOME!
Flies like a dream! The 40 is not too much at all. I have always been pretty good with throttle control. So call me a fellow slowpoke lover! Thank you for all of your help and advice.
Chris
keocak is offline Find More Posts by keocak
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:28 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Little 'Poke Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by keocak View Post
Hey Tom,
Chris here, got the little Slowpoke done! Wound up putting my LA .40 OS on her. I know it is a .25 size airplane, but got looking at the 40 and it is just about the same case size as the 25. Flew her this weekend and it is AWSOME!
Flies like a dream! The 40 is not too much at all. I have always been pretty good with throttle control. So call me a fellow slowpoke lover! Thank you for all of your help and advice.
Chris
Hi Chris:

Glad to hear you got your Little 'Poke flying. I am sure the LA .40 is a good choice for it.

The 'Pokes are great relaxed flying fun airframes.

Tom
Old Dec 09, 2009, 06:33 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Completed- Pic Before Close Up

Hi Guys:

Sorry haven't posted progress pics for awhile, been busy as poop.

Example, we got 15 inches of snow last night and had to try and wear out my snowblower, new last year Poulan 15HP. Had to get one with power steering the old back was complaining. Also about to start on another project and getting the shop ready.

Anyway, these shots show all the systems nailed down and ready to close up the battery compartment and underside of the engine. Then off to my spray booth for a clear flat overspray to seal down all edges and trim, etc.

Still no final AUW, I'll get that after the spray then it is wait for spring.

Oh, don't worry about the missing screw in the engine throttle servo arm, got some on the way.

Tom
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Dec 12, 2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2009, 06:50 PM
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
I'm sorry that you have to wait until the spring Tom. Flew my little Poke today. It was a bit windy but it was 79 degrees outside so had to fly. Had a ball!
Chris
Old Dec 10, 2009, 05:41 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Spring Wait

Hi Chris:

Yes having to wait for spring to maiden is hard but to tell you the truth I love winter, lots of time to build, which I love. Living in 4-season country to me is what I have to do. I especially love fall when the leaves are so beautiful and the nights start to get crisp and I can start a fire in the evening can't be beat. When I was in the Navy one of the boats I was on ( USS Gudgeon SS-567) was out of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii and the sameness of the climate drove me crazy. Forutnately my wife feels the same way, she didn't care for Hawaii either. I know, most people would say we are nuts but thats the way we roll.

Couple of pics to make you warm weather guys feel better, this morning off my rear deck.

Best,

Tom
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Dec 10, 2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 12:34 PM
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Does that therm. Read -2? That is just crazy cold! We don't like to fly here in Florida when it is in the 60's. Brrrrrr!
Chris
Old Dec 10, 2009, 02:04 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Low Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by keocak View Post
Does that therm. Read -2? That is just crazy cold! We don't like to fly here in Florida when it is in the 60's. Brrrrrr!
Chris
Hi Chris:

Actually the temp at that time was -4 degrees F.

Funny story, one of our daughters and family live in northern California, came for a Christmas vist a few years back and when they got off the plane in Milwaukee it was 26 degrees below zero. They wanted to get right back on the plane.

Best,

Tom
Old Dec 10, 2009, 06:01 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Spray Booth Pics

Hi Guys:

Here are a couple of pics in the spray booth, you can see the flat finish is starting to come to life. It will be better when it dries.

Tom
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:08 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Looks great I can't wait to see that bird in action come spring.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:22 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Progress Report- 12-12-2009

Hi Guys:

Well she's done ! 100% Complete !

Now the bad news, SHE GOT FAT ! I wanted to come in at no more than 10.5 lbs but she came in at 11.7--Not Her Fault !

I added a good number extra braces, gussets stringers, etc.

Dual power supplies, 2000 mah NiMh batteries.

Dual MPI switch/charge jacks which are really great if you fly 2.4 Ghz so you can re-bind by just plugging the bind plug into the charge jack without having
to get at the receiver at all.

All metal gear servos, HiTec HS5645-MG, 2-flaps, 2-ailerons, 2-elevator, 1-rudder, 1-throttle.

Coverite fabric covering, two coats of clear flat spray.

No excuses... just the facts.

She still comes in at 19.9 oz/sq-ft

Now the good news, take a look at the CG pics on my balancer... perfect... not one ounce of lead.

Anyway I am happy with the end result.

Best to all,

Tom
Old Dec 12, 2009, 12:55 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
That bird turned out great The wing loading isn't bad at all considering most glow powered Cubs are around the 20-22oz/sq ft range Plus you can always drop the flaps for real slow flying.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 03:25 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Engine Swap

Hi guys:

Quite a few of you followed my Larger Slowpoke build, I made a engine swap so I wanted make post to bring everyone up to date.

I picked up one of Hobby People's Magnum .91 4-strokes since they had such a great deal on them. I have flown many Magnums over the years and I know they are a great value for the normal price and at the special price I couldn't pass one up.

Anyway, long story short, I swapped the YS .91 Supercharged out and installed the Magnum. The YS engines are so powerful I knew it was overkill for the Big Poke but I had it available so I installed it.

I have another project that can use the brute horsepower of the YS so the swap made sense.

A couple of pics attached so you can see the difference. We still have a lot of snow so I haven't been able to maiden the Big Poke but I sure am getting stoked up for it. I now have three new planes to maiden and maybe one more if I get a chance to finish my latest project with the YS.

Best,

Tom
Old Apr 06, 2010, 05:56 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
So, did you get to maiden her yet or are you still plagued with windy weekends?