United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitacre View Post
Now I like that So, when's that maiden
Hi jw:

Thanks, just a little more on the trim and thats done. All electronics in and tested. Weather permitting I hope to maiden in about two weeks.

Tom
teeceeveecee is online now Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:03 PM
United States, FL, Palmetto
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Hey Tom,
Is the red Poke a 40 size? I noticed that you have moved the landing gear forward on the new plane. Is this something that I should think about with mine? I have all of the covering off right now and this would be the time to do it. The field I fly at is grass so I didn't know if these have a problem with nosing over.
Thanks,
Chris
keocak is offline Find More Posts by keocak
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:15 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Landing Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keocak View Post
Hey Tom,
Is the red Poke a 40 size? I noticed that you have moved the landing gear forward on the new plane. Is this something that I should think about with mine? I have all of the covering off right now and this would be the time to do it. The field I fly at is grass so I didn't know if these have a problem with nosing over.
Thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris:

Yes the red and white one is the Slowpoke Sport 40. The 'Pokes all nose over real easily if the landing gear gets bent backward after a few landings. The gear is so close to the CG that even a little shift reward will cause it.

Several ways to stay ahead of this.

The original landing gear when laid on a work surface is flat, the easy fix is to bend the landing gear so that the wheel is thrust forward when the landing gear is inserted into the wing mounting blocks. I would bend it to the point that the wheel is about half way forward of the wing leading edge. DO NOT TRY TO BEND THE LANDING GEAR WHILE IT IS INSTALLED IN THE WING ! This will weaken mounting blocks and possibly rip them loose if the builder did not get them epoxied in well.

The other easy fix is to relocate the landing gear to the fuselage as I did in this build on my larger 'Poke. Before going that route though you need to get all the gear installed in the airframe, including the engine and see where the GC is at. Most 'Pokes come out a little tail heavy, if this is the case with yours then it could benefit from having the landing gear relocated to the fuselage.

On the smaller (.10/.15) 'Poke I really don't think the relocation is necessary, just re-bending the piano wire to thrust the wheels forward solves the problem. It is not as heavy as the Sport 40 and gear bending backwards is not that much of a problem, just remove the gear every now and then and bend it forward again.

A lot of words to say it is a judgement call based on where the CG falls with everything in it's proper location. If tail heavy, I would consider the landing gear re-location. Always better to reposition than to haul dead weight (lead).

Tom
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:22 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I prefer the LG arrangement on your bigger one personally. Wire gear always ends up turning into a pain for me(I don't fly from the friendliest grass) and would rather just use a good sturdy aluminum setup and be done with it. All of my birds are that way except my Corsair and I hate it's wire gear setup
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Nov 18, 2009, 05:27 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Landing Gear

Quote:
I prefer the LG arrangement on your bigger one personally. Wire gear always ends up turning into a pain for me(I don't fly from the friendliest grass) and would rather just use a good sturdy aluminum setup and be done with it. All of my birds are that way except my Corsair and I hate it's wire gear setup
Hi jw:

You know I am with you on the wire gear. The Dural style gear is so much better and virtually no problems. Our field is grass also, in all my years of flying I have only been in one club that had a paved runway, I really prefer the grass.

As I mentioned to Chris, it seems the music/piano wire we get today is so soft it is little more than stiff wire.

Have you had a chance to get started on your big Cub Bee yet ? Would really like to see that one, the little guy flys so sweet in your video I can only imagine the bigger one would be great also. Seems like your design is dialed in just right.

Tom
Old Nov 18, 2009, 07:28 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Have you had a chance to get started on your big Cub Bee yet ? Would really like to see that one, the little guy flys so sweet in your video I can only imagine the bigger one would be great also. Seems like your design is dialed in just right.
I'm finally home for long enough to get started again I got to get more balsa sheeting this weekend and will be back on the build. Thanks for the compliment, I really got lucky because I basically made it up as I went along. There is one flaw to the little guy that has surfaced: the LG mounting block is too weak and gave out I'm sorting out this issue so the bigger brother doesn't have the same problem
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:18 AM
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Tom,
Speaking of CG, where should it be located on this plane? I took your advice and I am going to put an OS .25 on her. Started to recover the fuse last night. Coverrite is working well. Goes on with a lot less heat than superkote.
Thanks,
Chris
Old Nov 19, 2009, 05:35 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Little 'Poke CG

Quote:
Tom,
Speaking of CG, where should it be located on this plane? I took your advice and I am going to put an OS .25 on her. Started to recover the fuse last night. Coverrite is working well. Goes on with a lot less heat than superkote.
Thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris:

I think you will be very pleased with the OS .25. As I said earlier, the OS engines are a little more expensive but they are excellent.

The CG on the Little 'Poke is set at 3.625" from the leading edge at the fuselage. It should be suspended on your balancer inverted. If you go to Towerhobbies.com and search "Slowpoke" you can bring the .10/.15 up and review the manual online. If you have need of a manual I have one I would be happy to send you, let me know.

Tom
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:05 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Little 'Poke Pictures

Quote:
Tom,
Thanks,
Chris
Chris:

I just sent you a message on the CG but I remembered you were thinking about adding ailerons to your wing. Attached are a few pictures of my Little 'Poke that may be useful.

TOM
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Nov 19, 2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 06:26 AM
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Hey Tom,
Thanks for the CG info. If you send me your email I'll send over some pictures. My computer won't let me put them on through here for some reason.
Thanks,
Chris
Old Nov 19, 2009, 12:06 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
E-mail Address

Quote:
Hey Tom,
Thanks for the CG info. If you send me your email I'll send over some pictures. My computer won't let me put them on through here for some reason.
Thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris;

PM sent.

Tom
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:04 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Just got back from a great morning with my little Cub Bee and wondered how the big Poke was coming. Oh and the landing gear mounting redo on mine worked great
Last edited by jwhitacre; Nov 29, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 05:38 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1 Posts
Re: Slowpokes

I love your plane! My husband built them before he passed last May. He would take a bundle of sticks and make a beautiful plane. My favorite is his Stearman.
balwilcox is offline Find More Posts by balwilcox
Old Nov 30, 2009, 05:20 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Bundle Of Sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by balwilcox View Post
I love your plane! My husband built them before he passed last May. He would take a bundle of sticks and make a beautiful plane. My favorite is his Stearman.
Hi balwilcox:

Thanks very much ! I truly love the Stearman also, mine was big and yellow.

People like your husband and myself that build airplanes from "a bundle of sticks" get a great deal of satisfaction from our creations and when our loved ones share that pleasure it is truly special. My wife shares me with my hobby and loves to see my creations as well.

Thank you,

Tom
Old Nov 30, 2009, 08:19 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Cub Bee

Quote:
Just got back from a great morning with my little Cub Bee and wondered how the big Poke was coming. Oh and the landing gear mounting redo on mine worked great
Hi jw:

Great shots of you C-B. The landing gear looks great. I really like the lines of your C-B and from your video I know it flys great. Will Bigger C-B have the same lines ?

On my Bigger 'Poke, all the trim is done all electronics installed and will be ready for flight in the next day or two. I have to mask it off and spray a coat of clear flat LustreKote. I used Ultracoat for the trim and I want to kill some of the shine as well as seal down all the edges. I have to re-check the CG and weigh it. I am sure I went past my 9.0 lb target. Mainly because I used the dual batteries/switches and the MG servos, but that is ok. When I build a kit or a scratch I add a lot to the airframe. I hate to have to strip covering and re-do because some point in the airframe has rattled loose or let go, and stripped servos will ruin your day. The HS5645-MG's are digital of course and while holding zero resolution they do consume more power. Thus the added need for the dual battery/switch setup, not to mention the comfort for the guy on the box.

Tom