SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:54 AM
United States, FL, Palmetto
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Hello All, Just got a Slowpoke from a guy, Covering is very rough. Gonna recover it. Thinking about using Coverite cloth. How bad is it to use compared to Super Monokote? Also this "Poke" is only three channel. I guess I am gonna also have to rebuild the wing to add ailerons. Any avice would be greatly apprec..
keocak is offline Find More Posts by keocak
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:32 PM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Slowpoke Re-cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by keocak View Post
Hello All, Just got a Slowpoke from a guy, Covering is very rough. Gonna recover it. Thinking about using Coverite cloth. How bad is it to use compared to Super Monokote? Also this "Poke" is only three channel. I guess I am gonna also have to rebuild the wing to add ailerons. Any avice would be greatly apprec..
Hi keocak:

Coverite is very easy to use and gives the vintage look. I find it much easier to form around curves, etc. If you take a look at my Sport 40 at the first of this thread you can see how it looks. I am using Coverite on the Larger 'Poke in this build.

Since you said your Slowpoke has no ailerons it must be the .10/.15 with the polyhedral wing, the Sport 40 also has a polyhedral wing but the dihedral breaks are right up next to the fuselage and it isn't as obvious.

If this is the case and you intend to add ailerons, put them in the outboard panels. I have heard some guys say they put them inboard of the dihedral break because it was easier but they were almost useless. If you look at the first of this thread you will see one of the small 'Pokes that I built with ailerons and they were very effective. Also you will notice that I covered that one with Ultra-Cote. I was using a OS .30 4-stroke and I wanted to keep it lite so it would really float, it did ! Coverite is a little heavier but I still prefer it.

They are great little planes and a lot of fun to fly.

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Nov 30, 2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:03 PM
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Thanks Tom, this must be the smaller poke, It does have the break farther out on the wing. It is amazing how well this monokote held. The clear came off but the color is still there. Alot of sanding! Hope to get this old girl all pretty again and get her back up.
Chris
Old Nov 10, 2009, 03:29 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Covering Removal

Quote:
Thanks Tom, this must be the smaller poke, It does have the break farther out on the wing. It is amazing how well this monokote held. The clear came off but the color is still there. Alot of sanding! Hope to get this old girl all pretty again and get her back up.
Chris
Chris:

If you haven't removed all the covering yet, use your heat gun. Just warm the covering as you pull it off and it will come clean.

Tom
Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:04 PM
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Thought about that too late! LOL! Got too excited and started taking a "little" off to see how bad it was. Next thing I knew, she was naked. Got my coverite ordered today. Gonna go orange and white. Should be pretty. Want to use the cloth because I have an old Sig Smith Miniplane kit that I want to build scale. So gotta get good with the coverite!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:38 AM
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Just figured out a neet trick... I put a piece of clear packing tape on the old kote, hit it with the heat gun and it lifted the old covering rite off. Woo- Hoo! less sanding!
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:26 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Covering Removal

Quote:
Just figured out a neet trick... I put a piece of clear packing tape on the old kote, hit it with the heat gun and it lifted the old covering rite off. Woo- Hoo! less sanding!
Hi Chris:

Great idea. All that sanding to remove the old finish can be a real headache.

Tom
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Nov 13, 2009 at 05:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:58 AM
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Hey Tom,
What size engine should I run on this? It has a 50 inch wingspan and the fusalage is 33 inches long. I was thinking a good .25 would be nice. I am going to put the ailerons on the outboard portion of the wing. Going to use 2 micro servos and a Y harness. I had alredy figured that putting them there would give me the best control response. My wife wants me to teach her how to fly and I thought that the Slowpoke would be a good trainer. What do you think? I have a 40 size trainer(high wing, trike gear) that is not complete yet so I could finish it and teach her on that. Your thoughts?
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:40 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Engine- Little 'Poke

Quote:
Hey Tom,
What size engine should I run on this? It has a 50 inch wingspan and the fusalage is 33 inches long. I was thinking a good .25 would be nice. I am going to put the ailerons on the outboard portion of the wing. Going to use 2 micro servos and a Y harness. I had alredy figured that putting them there would give me the best control response. My wife wants me to teach her how to fly and I thought that the Slowpoke would be a good trainer. What do you think? I have a 40 size trainer(high wing, trike gear) that is not complete yet so I could finish it and teach her on that. Your thoughts?
Hi Chris:

For the .10/.15 Slowpoke using a 2-stroke engine, I would use the OS .25AX.
The OS engines cost a little more but they are excellent engines. A reliable idle is extremely important and OS has done a excellent job on their carburetors.

As for using the 'Poke as a trainer for your wife, DON'T ! The 'Pokes while easy to fly are not trainers. They have a really short tail moment and a very powerful set of tailfeathers. She needs to start on the highwing trainers, they have lite wing loading. The high wing with high dihedral makes them self righting and "groove" flyers that is why if you get the CG set right and properly trimmed they will fly hands off. In most cases they will land themselves if you get "lost" and jerking sticks to the extremes, just release the sticks back off on the power and let the plane settle out. It is most important is be high, so on takeoff go straight out and gain altitude.

Set the radio with about 25/30 % EXPO and then relax and let the plane do most of the flying.

Tom
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:47 AM
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Thanks Tom, That is what I thought about the Poke as a trainer. She just thinks that it is so "cute". Will put her up on the trainer first
Old Nov 12, 2009, 03:17 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Progress Report- 11-12-2009

Hi Guys:

Well I got the shipment of Coverite from Tower and proceeded to finish the base color covering on the Big 'Poke.

Few pics for size coparison next to my Sport 40.

I will be doing some of the trim in the next few days. Want to finish the wing servo installtion first though.

Tom
Old Nov 13, 2009, 05:59 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Coverite

Quote:
Thought about that too late! LOL! Got too excited and started taking a "little" off to see how bad it was. Next thing I knew, she was naked. Got my coverite ordered today. Gonna go orange and white. Should be pretty. Want to use the cloth because I have an old Sig Smith Miniplane kit that I want to build scale. So gotta get good with the coverite!
Chris:

On using the Coverite, be sure and use a sock on your iron. Bare iron is fine for initial tacking down, but for the open fields use a sock, and watch the heat. Keep it low enough to just get the covering to stick. Then go over all the seams with a little more heat. If you use a heat gun for shrinking, that works fine but stay away from the seams with too much heat, they will start to release and curl. Good luck, I think you will like the Coverite, it will look especially good on your Smith Miniplane.

Tom
Old Nov 13, 2009, 06:40 AM
Joined Sep 2009
197 Posts
Thanks Tom. When I figure out how to post pictures on here I will do so. Will be doing a good photo docu. On the miniplane!
Chris
Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:51 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
580 Posts
Progress Report- 11-16-2009

Hi Guys:

Worked on the trim yesterday and this morning. Still have a little more to do, the plan is evolving as I go. Good thing I don't have to please anyone but myself !

Tom
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:21 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Now I like that So, when's that maiden
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre