Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 20, 2009, 07:31 AM
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
I think he should cover it with the same girl, oh no, I mean same covering he has on his door!!! Covering,hummm;that SlowPoke 10 in pics with black and yellow squares in stripes looks REAL familiar. Hi Tom,this is Ressie.I bought that Poke from you. What a great airplane. I've followed this from the beginning and waited for the right time to "get ya". I WANT ONE OF THESE
Hunkus is offline Find More Posts by Hunkus
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:24 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Dihedral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitacre
That is coming along very nicely It should fly like a dream. You know I never realized until the rear pic how much dihedral the SP has. So, are you going to do a simple covering scheme or something more flashy?
Hi jw:

Yes the 'Pokes do have a good bit of dihedral but I really don't think it detracts from the flight characteristics that I enjoy, i.e. Slllloooowwww and low. The picture angle from the rear really puts emphasis on it, I was shooting from about 3 feet elevated position. They will do basic aerobatics without trouble, inverted is a little touchy though they want to fall off into a wingover so I always make sure I am good and high. I thought about taking a little bit off the dihedral but I love the 'Pokes so much I couldn't bring myself to tamper with it.

On the covering, you know I haven't made up my mind yet. I have never been too radical like a "Twist" or a "U-Can Do 3D". I sort of tend to a really good covering job with maybe a sunburst wing and stab. That is probably what I will do here. I did one of my Sport 40's in orange Century 21 fabric with a white sunburst and black striping. That covering on my red and white Sport 40 on the bench is Century 21 fabric. After 9 full seasons it still looks great and is still tight.

Have you had a chance to get on your 64" Cub Bee or are you still out of town ?

Best,

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Old Oct 20, 2009, 09:58 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunkus
I think he should cover it with the same girl, oh no, I mean same covering he has on his door!!! Covering,hummm;that SlowPoke 10 in pics with black and yellow squares in stripes looks REAL familiar. Hi Tom,this is Ressie.I bought that Poke from you. What a great airplane. I've followed this from the beginning and waited for the right time to "get ya". I WANT ONE OF THESE

Hi Ressie:

Great to hear from you. How is the Little 'Poke doing ? Now you see why I let go of it, my hangar was (and still is) pretty full and this Big 'Poke REALLY takes space. My wife said that regradless of what I think it really is a basement not a hangar.

Isn't that poster great ? It is done up in the style of WWII nose art, and when I spotted it and saw she was standing on the wing of my all time favorite warbird, F4U Corsair; I had to have it. Attached a little better shot of her.

Glad to know you are following the thread, unless a guy is a Slowpoke lover (like you and me) he may not understand my project, but that's OK. If a guy loves anything that flies he'll get something out of this.

I am really excited about how it is going. Something about a BIG plane sitting on my bench at the field. Take a look at my Aeromaster picture attached, this thing is a majestic flyer with a 34cc FUJI the power is just right. I think my Big 'Poke will be too, these YS engines are really special.

Best,

Tom
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Oct 23, 2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:02 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I had an idea for the covering(just my $.02 of course) do a covering scheme similar to the Sig Rascal. White with transparent blue or green would show off the framing and go along with the "old school" design the pokes have. The CubBee is still on hold, I went straight to another job and won't be home for another 2 weeks
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:25 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Big 'Poke Covering

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitacre
I had an idea for the covering(just my $.02 of course) do a covering scheme similar to the Sig Rascal. White with transparent blue or green would show off the framing and go along with the "old school" design the pokes have. The CubBee is still on hold, I went straight to another job and won't be home for another 2 weeks
Hi jw:

The Sig Rascal scheme would look good. I saw one of those 110" monsters and it was VERY impressive. The Century 21 fabric is quite opaque so would only show framework with strong back light from the sun. Those pictures of my Aeromaster show the 21st Century "Super Coverite" which is linen or antique in color. I used antique and sprayed it with Behr Latex house paint and then a coat of water based polyurethane clear satin finish over the top. Makes the covering a few ounces heavier but looks really vintage.

Thanks for the input.

Best,

Tom
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Oct 21, 2009 at 05:54 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 05:44 PM
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Tom, just getting back to the thread. After I posted the other day had a brain seizure. Just got home from hospital today. I have 2 friends here with GP Aeromasters. Super airplanes. The Poke I bought is doing great. Hope I get up and able to fly her soon. THANKS,Ressie
Old Oct 22, 2009, 06:25 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Get Well Soon Ressie !

Hi Ressie:

Really hated to hear of your issue. Don't get sick on me pardner, our Slowpoke's need us. Lots of build time that has to be addressed and blue skys will be waiting.

All of my best,

Tom
Old Oct 23, 2009, 11:33 AM
Trussville, AL, USA
Joined Jan 2006
44 Posts
I'll be starting a standard Slow Poke 40 in a couple of weeks and I'm very interested in your build.

It's good to know about the Poke's tendency to nose over. I've been debating with myself about moving the landing gear forward or not. I make take your approach and install the landing gear blocks in the wing panels just in case and then set it up initially with the forward mounted landing gear.

The pics of your previous projects show you did a four oh job on those builds. I'll keep checking your build log to see how your project turns out.

Doc
fmfdoc is offline Find More Posts by fmfdoc
Old Oct 23, 2009, 03:08 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
New Build Sport 40

Hi fmfdoc:

Glad to hear from you, I followed your postings over on "CptnBE20" thread and thought at the time you would go ahead and pick up that kit at your LHS.

In my opinion these Slowpokes are a delight to build. GP has done a great job on the manual, instructions are spot on. Follow them closely and you will have no trouble at all

On the inclination to nose over, it is not a design flaw it is the darn soft music wire that is out there today. Use to be music wire would rather snap than bend, not so today. I really like the landing gear on the wing and I had a fix for this build but then I reconsidered when thinking about the ease of transport in my truck with the gear on the fuselage.

What happens with the 'Pokes is that after a few landings the gear starts to bend backwards and because of the gear relationship to CG even a little bend and in combination with the field grass being a little long or wet and the increased drag will cause the noseover. Doesn't really cause any damage but I would rather taxi back to the pits than trek out there and carry it back.

My fix for the gear on the wings was going to be a strut (brace) on the back side of the wire gear. I planned to add a additional piece of bass wood to the landing gear block at right angle to support the strut. Drilling a anchor hole in the block to receive the strut and the other end wire wrapped and soldered to the original gear strut. I slammed one together real quick to show my fix, pictures attached. Just soft soldered, not silver solder and not wire wrapped.

Anyway I am real pleased you will be following my build. I am sure no expert but a lot of hits and misses over the years so maybe it will be helpful. If I can help let me know.

Oh, one thing before I forget, as you can see these 'Pokes have really short tail moments and a really powerful elevator. Be careful with transmitter stick movement and if your radio has EXPO and DUAL RATES rates take advantage of them. I set my DR throws : HI @ 100%, LO @ 65%. I set EX movement: HI @ Linear and LO @ 30%

Keep in touch,

Tom
Old Oct 23, 2009, 04:40 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Progress Report- 10-23-2009

Hi Guys:

Not too much progress been busy as heck. Did get a little done though.

Added nose sheeting, cockpit cut out, nose side cheeks at the top and made up my aileron and flap servo mounts.

Slid the YS back in to check cowl cheeks, looks good with first cut out so I guess that is where it stays.

Tom
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:37 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Progress Report- 10-24-2009

Hi Guys:

Wasn't able to do too much today but I did get my tubes in the wing for the aileron and flap servo leads. Spent most of the day sanding. Big pile of balsa like this makes a big pile of dust. All 80 grit work for fast cutting, ready for 180 grit when I start sanding again. Then a little 220 grit, makes it easier to paint the Balsarite adhesive on the airframe. The 21st Century fabric has it's own adhesive on the back but I always use Balsarite also. When you apply the fabric it STICKS ! I hate to see covering work loose, the airframe gets oil soaked and is hell to deal with after that.

Tom
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Oct 27, 2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 01:00 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Progress Report- 10-26-2009

Hi Guys:

Well yesterday was "FootBall Sunday" at our house, my wife and I are pro-football fans, Greenbay of course ! But I did manage to do a little work yesterday morning and this morning. Got the wing sheeting and cap strips done, rough sanded and a little contour shaping. All in all I think it came out pretty well.

I will mate everything together and check CG again, initial checks showed the nose to be a little heavy, seemed like 1.0 to 1.5 oz to bring it level at CG. That is great because equipment placement will easily bring me to exact CG without extra weight.

Tom
Old Oct 26, 2009, 06:39 PM
Joined Apr 2007
515 Posts
Tom,glad to hear the Corsair is one of your favorites too. I have Hanger 9 with a Saito115,overkill but fun overkill and I have the Jack Devine Corsair with G-62. These are type of planes the Poke gets to go with and fly first to loosen up my thumbs. With very little expo and high rates the short-coupled Poke will get your attention and keep you on your toes. Then the Warbirds seem pretty easy. THANKS,Ressie
Old Oct 26, 2009, 06:57 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
It is turning out looking very nice, shouldn't be much longer before maiden
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Oct 27, 2009, 05:45 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunkus
Tom,glad to hear the Corsair is one of your favorites too. I have Hanger 9 with a Saito115,overkill but fun overkill and I have the Jack Devine Corsair with G-62. These are type of planes the Poke gets to go with and fly first to loosen up my thumbs. With very little expo and high rates the short-coupled Poke will get your attention and keep you on your toes. Then the Warbirds seem pretty easy. THANKS,Ressie
Hi Ressie:

Sounds like you have a "handfull" with H-9/Saito 115. What a beautiful combination, I love the Saito engines. They always have a great sound, their valve timing overlap gives them a "lets race note". I wish Saito would add some pumped versions to their lineup. Haven't seen or heard the new gassers yet. I have a Evolution (MVVS) 26GX and I have to tell you it has become one of my favorites, beautiful idle, sound and performance, expensive though but when compared with price of my YS engines not so bad.

Tom