Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Build Log
Slowpoke- A Little Larger

Hi Guys:

Ok, I admit it I love Slowpokes !

I have been building and flying Slowpokes for years. I still have my first one, a Sport 40. I have been flying this 'Poke for almost 10 years. I fly it every week during the season, about 8 good months here in Wisconsin. It is powered with the original engine which was new for the project, a OS .52 4-stroke. She is covered with 21st Century Coverite Fabric, great stuff. Originally flown with Futaba 8UAP-PCM, has since been converted to JR 9303 2.4Ghz. I also have built the little Slowpoke 15, I added ailerons to all three of them. One nose plant and two were sold. Attached are a few pictures of my 'Pokes.

I wanted to post this Build Log for other Slowpoke guys. This 'Poke will be a little diferrent, a little larger.

I started with a stock GP Sport 40 kit. This project is no where near as ambitious as "crazychristian"s 10'-3"' 100 twin, it is more along the specs of "valleyforest"s enlarged version. Both of these projects are outstanding. Unfortunately "crazychristian"s met with early demise when he had a structural failure in aft fuselage. I beleive he is going to build another one, I hope so I would love to see it fly. The effort by "valleyforest" is a little larger with a .61 ASP 4-stroke. A truly beautiful job and he says flight is very good.
If you haven't seen these two go to "cc"s build and take a look. I contacted "valleyforest" in Sweden to ask a few questions about his project and he was really helpful. His comments confirmed in my mind that I was going in th right direction for my project.

My project will be simply a change to some of the basic dimensions and minor configuration changes.

A: Increase fuselage nose moment by 1.0"
B: Increase tail moment by 2.625"
C: Increase outter wing panels 5.0" each
D: Relocate landing gear to the fuselage just in front of the wing saddle. I
will use Aluminum Dural. Slowpokes love to nose over !
E: Add nose upper and lower cowl cheeks to blunt the sharp nose of the
original design. You can see this result in my Sport 40 pictures on the
flight bench.

These changes will result in wing of 71.5" and area of approximately 1250 sq in. Modest changes but they are really a test bed for a 140% 'Poke. I had originally planned to increase the wing panels by 4.0" and the center section by 2.0" but there was really no need to change the center so I added another 1.0" (total 5.00" s) to each wing instead.

Power will be a YS 91 Supercharged 4-stroke. I added a .250" 5-ply birch firewall 1.0" foreward of it's stock position. I added .125" lite ply external doublers to the nose with pinning for the firewall. The YS is shoehorned in but I didn't want to change the basic look of the 'Poke too much.

I will post more pictures and comentary as I progress.

Thanks for looking and I welcome comments.

Tom
Milton,Wisconsin
USA
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Oct 13, 2009 at 06:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2009, 01:25 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Watching with interest, I'm working on my 64" CubBee and planning on a 100" version after that. Since my design takes after Slow Poke in a few ways this project is very interesting
jwhitacre is online now Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Oct 08, 2009, 01:53 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
CubBee Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhitacre
Watching with interest, I'm working on my 64" CubBee and planning on a 100" version after that. Since my design takes after Slow Poke in a few ways this project is very interesting

jwhitacre:

I hope you will put up a build thread on your CubBee.

You know a lot of guys just don't know how much fun slow flying aircraft can be and the pure pleasure of a large aircraft with a 4-stroke just above idle comes drifting by 10 feet in front of you at 10 or 15 feet.

Thanks again and I will be looking for your project.

Tom
Old Oct 08, 2009, 03:32 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Quote:
I hope you will put up a build thread on your CubBee.
Already on it http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115867
It is fun just cruising around the field in idle I HAVE to use flaps on the smaller one to land and I'm sure the 64" will be the same. The 100" will be late in the winter and will have my Sachs 3.2 gas engine in it.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 06:23 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
CubBee

Quote:
Already on it http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115867
It is fun just cruising around the field in idle I HAVE to use flaps on the smaller one to land and I'm sure the 64" will be the same. The 100" will be late in the winter and will have my Sachs 3.2 gas engine in it.
Very nice ! It really flies well. What is the slow flight like ? That 35 was hauling the coal.

Tom
Old Oct 08, 2009, 06:36 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Thanks, she can get up and run without a doubt The slow flight characteristics are very predictable and it is a very docile plane below 1/4 throttle. I haven't had the chance to see how it stalls at slow speed yet since I'm still out of town but I will I have a question about your project, since you are adding 2.5" to each panel will you be making the ailerons larger to keep the aspect ratio the same as the original?
Old Oct 09, 2009, 06:17 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Aileron Size- More Is Better !

Quote:
Thanks, she can get up and run without a doubt The slow flight characteristics are very predictable and it is a very docile plane below 1/4 throttle. I haven't had the chance to see how it stalls at slow speed yet since I'm still out of town but I will I have a question about your project, since you are adding 2.5" to each panel will you be making the ailerons larger to keep the aspect ratio the same as the original?
Actually I am adding 5.0" to each wing panel total WS increase of 10.00" s, and yes I did give a lot of thought to the aileron size and the need to increase. I had planned to increase them by 2.00" s each.

I have been going back and forth on this. The way I fly, that modest increase would provide enough roll rate power and would allow me to add a decent set of flaps which of course could be coupled with the ailerons. At the present time I plan to go that way because I do enjoy slow flight so much and of course that is when I need the "barn door" effect.

I built one of Bruce Tharpe's "Flyin'King" beauties, pictures attached; and love the way it flys. It has a Saito 1.00 and the WS is 80.00" s. Notice the short tail moment in this airframe, and the flaps are very effective. My Bigger Slowpoke should have very similar characteristics.

Tom
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Oct 09, 2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 06:37 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Progress Report

Hi Guys:

Not too much progress in the last few days, been getting ready for winter. Last grass cut and trim. Put down winterizer fertilizer. Next week check out my snow blower and change the oil. But no worries, I love winter.

On the Bigger 'Poke. Added the aft turtle deck framing, fin and installed my Slimline Excel fueler. One of the great features of the YS engine, with the pressurized fuel system, tank and fueler placement is no problem. I could have the tank in the parking lot and she would still get her drink of alcohol.

Tom
Old Oct 10, 2009, 08:17 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Looking good, keep it up
Old Oct 11, 2009, 02:52 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Progress Report 10-11-2009

Hi Guys:

Made a little progress today. Finished the tailfeather build and rough sanding.
Installed the Robart hinges. Not too much else, went flying this morning. You guessed it, my Slowpoke Sport 40, and also my Lanier EP Fokker DVII.
Nobody else there, maybe the 37 degrees at 1030 hrs when I was flying had a little to do with it. It was 28 degrees when I got up this morning, winter is here in Wisconsin. Time to put the skis on my Mini Telemaster EP and the D VII. Don't fly my gas or glow stuff in the cold weather, just electrics.

Anyway couple of pictures of the progress.

Tom
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:19 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Progress Report 10-12-2009

Hi Guys:

Well I added my tubes for the rudder pull-pull cables. Set the HiTec HS5645-MG servos in place to check tube to arm alignments, all ok. Placed the tailwheel assembly on the fuselage to check linkage lengths to the rudder, wanted to make sure the shock isolation springs would have proper space without too much pre-load tension. Again, ok.

I will start the wings in the next day or two. I need to get the whole airframe married together so they are next. Then I can start preliminary CG checks. The MG servos are almost at CG center so they will have little impact. I will probably run dual RX batteries and MPI switches, I always do on my gassers but I think I will on this one also. Probably dual 1650's or 2000's. Want to see where CG and overall weight are at. The JR AR-7000 receiver is virtually weightless so I will be able to put the two receivers where the antenna placement is optimal. Those little whisker antennas are great improvement over the old 72Mhz "clothesline".

Tom
Old Oct 15, 2009, 01:24 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Progress Report 10-15-2009

Hi Guys:

Been busy on the wings, Pictures attached. These are not completed wings, the right one is just off the board and the left one is shown on the board.

I elected to keep the ailerons stock dimensions rather than the 2.0" increase I had contemplated. I felt that for my type of fliying they would probably be ok, also with the wing span increase of 5.0" each, the aileron distance from fuselage centerline also moved outboard. This being the case, the roll rate is also leveraged. Anyway that's my logic and I'm sticking to it !

By doing this I was able to add the flaps I wanted, they are 10.0" long each, 25 sq in each. Also of course I can couple them with the ailerons if I feel the need.

I'll be working to finish them up so I can start the CG testing so as to complete equipment location.

Tom
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Oct 21, 2009 at 05:40 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 03:04 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Progress Report- 10-18-2009

Hi Guys:

Well been working on the wing. Built the center section w/braces. Rough sanded center section and left and right wings. Installed (dry fit) the wing landing gear blocks. Even though I have moved the landing gear to the fuselage you never can tell I may want to go back to the wing mount in the future and if I do the blocks will be there.

Cut the flaps and ailerons free and added final hinge blocks. Drilled and installed the Robart hinge pins, dry fit of course.

Next step will be to install servo mounts and join wings and center section.
Then I can complete wing sheeting.

Tom
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:50 AM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
575 Posts
Progress Report- 10-20-2009

Hi Guys:

Well I got the wing epoxied together and rough sanded leading edge to allow the fuselage to wing join test to get a idea of AUW. At this point, 6.3LBS, very pleased with that. Should bring me in at about 9.0lbs with all gear and Coverite Fabric covering. With 1260 or so square inches should be about 16.45 oz/sq ft.

Please excuse the shop, it is a sh--house. Framing and sanding always makes a mess ! Today is "field day" in old Navy talk, that means "clean it up". Or, "run she may- but shine she must". Even in submarines we had to do that, after a couple of weeks submerged though we didn't have a lot of dust and dirt, just shoe marks on the tile.

Tom
Old Oct 20, 2009, 06:59 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
That is coming along very nicely It should fly like a dream. You know I never realized until the rear pic how much dihedral the SP has. So, are you going to do a simple covering scheme or something more flashy?