HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2009, 11:30 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Build Log
Pete's Pietenpol Prototype (P. Rake's 1/6 scale Air Camper)

Pete made me another offer I couldn't refuse. A 1/6 scale (58" ws) Pietenpol Air Camper.

The Plane -
The Air Camper, a two-seat parasol wing monoplane is a famous homebuilt kit plane that has been around for over 80 years. It has a wingspan of 29' and a length of 17' 8". Bernard Pietenpol designed the Air Camper to be easily and cheaply built. The plans first appeared in the 1932 issue of Popular Mechanic's " Flying and Glider Manual". The Air Camper is made of mostly spruce and plywood and can be powered by a Ford Model A, a Ford V8, a Chevy Corvair, a Lycoming or other readily available engines. Bernard's son and grandson still sell the plans and Air Campers are still being built. They say for about $9111 (2008 dollars) and a lot of scrounging plus 1000 hours of free love construction time a pilot can be in the air. Tempting isn't it .

There is a veritable treasure trove of info on the 'net:
http://www.pressenter.com/~apietenp/index.html (order your set of full-size plans)
http://clifdawson.ca/Pietenpol.html (step by step photos of an Air Camper build)
http://www.flyingwood.com/directory.asp (ongoing Air Camper build)
http://www.pietenpols.org/ (Brodhead Pietenpol Association - all things Air Camper)

Tim
Newtron is offline Find More Posts by Newtron
Last edited by Newtron; Feb 02, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2009, 11:44 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
The Model -
The model's wingspan is 58". To fit in my car the wings will be removeable.
AUW is ? (What's the best way to guesstimate AUW?)
Since the Model A engine and radiator is so prominent I'm definitely going to have to give it the "full Maltone". Hmm maybe I can sub-contract the engine to Pat

The Kit -
Vicki and Charlie at Manzano have done their typical bang up job with the short kit. The USPS didn't do them any favors though. When the box arrived at my house, it was smashed flat but luckily the only damage was to some excess balsa pieces.

Tim
Old Oct 07, 2009, 11:45 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,630 Posts
Great subject Tim - at 1/6 scale, you could add or subtract as much detail as you want or dare! Should be a great flyer - and all that reference material........... Looking forward to the build.

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Oct 08, 2009, 12:27 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
2,984 Posts
You mean you choose to paint the cowl rather than do all the turning on the bare metal!? Ha!

Maybe you could stash the ESC in the radiator for good cooling... This will be a good size! I'm watching.

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Oct 08, 2009, 01:23 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,487 Posts
This should be delightful. Just the model for pottering about the field on a calm day.

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Oct 08, 2009, 02:13 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Hi Tim (H),
Surprised to see you here mate, the Piet is really quite pretty.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 08, 2009, 06:47 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,285 Posts
Yes she is!!!! Now if Peter would be willing to do the Pietenpol Sky Scout as well. It is virtually the same airplane style but only a single seater. I have a copy of the 1933 Flying Manual with the 3 views, plans and detail drawings. One could actually build the real thing using the book I have. I also have the earlier one for the Pietenpol Aircamper as well. It has a ton of information and detailed, dimensioned drawings for the fittings etc... It even has a chapter on how to convert the Model "A" Engine..

BTW the Sky Scout particulars are as follows.

LENGTH: 16'-3"
WINGSPAN: 27'-3"
CHORD: 5'

What do you say Pete!!!!

NEWTRON: I would be willing to share any of the detailed drawings or the entire article on the Aircamper if you so desire. Seriously, at 1/6 scale you could really do a job. Please let me know.

Greg Knipp
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Oct 08, 2009, 08:09 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Greg,
Yes please mate. You know I never turn down any information that might lead to another drawing job. Two Piets have to be better than one - in two sizes.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Oct 08, 2009, 08:43 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Oh well, I can cross that one off my list of possibles

Had looked hard at a 1/6th 'Sky Scout' - have that '33 'Flying Manual' too - but reality precludes starting any new projects right now, so I'll just follow this thread!

Should be a dream to fly though, an ideal scale model for loafing around the patch on quiet days. Good luck with the project.

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 08, 2009, 05:17 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
Tim,
shoot me some pics or link of the motor. i'll give it a shot.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 08, 2009, 06:31 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,538 Posts
Subscribed. I have some pictures of at least one Piet I took at a "Fly-in" years ago. I believe it was maroon and cream. Always liked that one.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Oct 08, 2009, 11:20 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor
Subscribed. I have some pictures of at least one Piet I took at a "Fly-in" years ago. I believe it was maroon and cream. Always liked that one.

Pete G.
Pete,
Please post them or a link if they're online somewhere.
Thanks,

Tim
Old Oct 08, 2009, 11:21 PM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtdirt
Tim,
shoot me some pics or link of the motor. i'll give it a shot.
Jack,
Thanks for the offer. I'd like to give it a try first. If I embarass myself I'll give you a call.

Tim
Old Oct 08, 2009, 11:23 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron
Pete,
Please post them or a link if they're online somewhere.
Thanks,

Tim
I'll have to find the album they are in and scan them in. They are that old.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Oct 09, 2009, 12:06 AM
Mayday!
USA, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined Sep 2005
1,246 Posts
Required motor and parts

I'm still in the planning stage right now.
The Motor -
Pete drew an axi 2814 on the plan so that gives me somewhere to start. The axi 2814 seems to be roughly equivalent to a .25-.35 glow. Hobby Lobby sells it.
It appears that Hobby King's Turnigy TR35-36C and Grayson Hobby's GH2814-08 are equivalents.
All 3 motors are rated to turn at most a 10x5 prop. I haven't done the math yet but I would think a larger prop would "look" better.

The Shopping List -
I gave the plans a quick once-over and came up with a shopping list to get me started:
10 swg wire (landing gear)
4" wheels
6 mm CF tube and aluminum (removeable wings)
3/16" basswood (spars)
3/16" hardwood (inner and outer struts)
3/16" balsa (tailplane)
1/4" balsa (LE)
1/32" brass (strut connectors - I'll copy Maltone and use a soda can cut into strips)
1/4" ply (UC attachment points)

Pete - my previous Rake's all included the balsa/ply required to make the wheels and the ply UC pieces. Did they not make the cut or is this one different?

Tim