HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
Ok, I'm not sure how y'all do it but my TP 2250 45C will not fit in the plane. Its to tall and laying on its side will not fit. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Just can't figure out how. I'm ready to sell the pack and just go 3x2.
smoothflying is offline Find More Posts by smoothflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:38 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothflying View Post
Ok, I'm not sure how y'all do it but my TP 2250 45C will not fit in the plane. Its to tall and laying on its side will not fit. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Just can't figure out how. I'm ready to sell the pack and just go 3x2.
I don't think anyone here fits a 5S single pack.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:32 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
AEMontoya fits a single 5S 2200mAh pack. He suggests it for others, but has to trim the wing saddle some to accommodate the pack. He's posted pics and I believe there are some in his blog as well - very helpful!

But when I ordered my 5S pack and sized it up to the fuselae, well, I was just a little apprehensive about cutting that much material away. So I went with 2S + 3S (see images posted recently) and I love it. Easy to install. I have to charge the packs separately, but I have two chargers and the whole setup is reliable and easy for me. If I were to build another Viper I'd do it the same way.

To each his own.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:56 PM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
AEMontoya fits a single 5S 2200mAh pack. He suggests it for others, but has to trim the wing saddle some to accommodate the pack. He's posted pics and I believe there are some in his blog as well - very helpful!

But when I ordered my 5S pack and sized it up to the fuselae, well, I was just a little apprehensive about cutting that much material away. So I went with 2S + 3S (see images posted recently) and I love it. Easy to install. I have to charge the packs separately, but I have two chargers and the whole setup is reliable and easy for me. If I were to build another Viper I'd do it the same way.

To each his own.

Tim
What size are u using between the 2.
smoothflying is offline Find More Posts by smoothflying
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:13 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1417

2250mAh 65C
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 05:21 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
The problem I foresee with the 2s and 3s packs in series is, you have no room to move the batteries around. If it doesn't balance as is, you are screwed. I have a lot of weight behind the wing, and I am not sure if it would work out.

Then there is the fact that I would have to buy the expensive batteries to see if it would work anyhow.

Maybe I will have to wait until Next APril at SEFF to try Tim's two packs in series
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
The problem I foresee with the 2s and 3s packs in series is, you have no room to move the batteries around. If it doesn't balance as is, you are screwed. I have a lot of weight behind the wing, and I am not sure if it would work out.

Then there is the fact that I would have to buy the expensive batteries to see if it would work anyhow.

Maybe I will have to wait until Next APril at SEFF to try Tim's two packs in series
No problem with balance at all,Seeing that the second pack that sits in the saddle is much lighter then having 1 heavy pack 60 percent behind the CG (give or take)....It just spreads the weight out.Plus by splitting them up,the packs are now much smaller,and do have room to be moved around,if you get what i mean.....I do it both ways.But the way Tim does it,i am very supprised more people are not running 6 cells in there Vipers-2cell in the nose,4 in the saddle,1800mah would work like a CHARM
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:49 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Quote:

I hope I can keep my Viper alive that long, but so far no indication I can't! I put my 99th and 100th flight on it yesterday!

(Sorry, bragging. I'm sure there are lots of other guys with many more flights.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:58 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
I hope I can keep my Viper alive that long, but so far no indication I can't! I put my 99th and 100th flight on it yesterday!

(Sorry, bragging. I'm sure there are lots of other guys with many more flights.)
100 is good. I honestly don;t think the average pylon enthusiast makes it that far with one airframe.

I am on flight #3. I just got my replacement ESC, so I hope to get flight 4, 5....... Thursday or this weekend.

I really need to wire the ESC right, if I ever want to fit a battery under it. I can't seem to ever get it close enough to the motor to maximize space.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
215.0 MPH
United States, VT, Essex
Joined Jul 2007
1,194 Posts
Hyperion fits.

Quote:
I don't think anyone here fits a 5S single pack.
markusvt is offline Find More Posts by markusvt
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,062 Posts
Also, if you don't want to trim your saddle slightly to accomodate the TP 5s 2700 65C, you can very easily make an 1800 mAh 5s 65C that fits with no trimming. Just buy two 2s versions and two 4s versions, and combine them to make two 5s versions. At least with TP, it's very easy to do. Even the 4s packs already have the same balance connector as a 5s, with the empty slot for the extra balance lead (so, just take the extras from the 2s and use them for the new 5s packs). Once you put all five cells together, you can hold everything in place with either some new shrink wrap or some clear packing tape (the tape holds suprisingly well and is lighter).

AEM
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:16 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusvt View Post
Hyperion fits.
Which Hyperion? 35C, 45c........ mah?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:31 PM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
Gens Ace 5S 2200 mah 25C i think will work. I just bought 2 Gens Ace 5S 2200 mah 35C and looks like it would fit except connector wires are on the wide side (facing up). To put them on narrow side were they will fit I would have to bend the krap out of connector wires to make them fit. Would this be dangerous? Anyone know what kind of flex are they capable of?
plainguy is offline Find More Posts by plainguy
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:44 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainguy View Post
Gens Ace 5S 2200 mah 25C i think will work. I just bought 2 Gens Ace 5S 2200 mah 35C and looks like it would fit except connector wires are on the wide side (facing up). To put them on narrow side were they will fit I would have to bend the krap out of connector wires to make them fit. Would this be dangerous? Anyone know what kind of flex are they capable of?
You have to figure you will need 45C minimum at 2200mah if your battery is going to survive.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:50 PM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
perhaps... but for now i'll be happy if i can 35 C batt. to fit. I may be totally wrong here but my perception was that due to higher voltage, C rating may not be as critical. at any rate, i would like to find out first hand. thanks for the input.
plainguy is offline Find More Posts by plainguy