HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:40 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
6,994 Posts
^ yeh, thats the X thread. Ive had like 20 of em, had one dud.

Double check the output voltage of your CCBEC, ive had some that spit out 6v out of the bag before.

They are great servos, and they usually die before you get off the building bench

Dymond D60 is the other option, both the D47 and D60 are awesome servos
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:43 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,395 Posts
Thanks jackosmeister.

I just found out we carry Airtronics and the Tower Hobbies site says the 94802s are in stock. Funny thing - right under my nose and didn't even know it!

What do YOU know of those?

I'll check the BEC Voltage.

Thanks again as always!

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Feb 23, 2012, 06:26 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,395 Posts
Huh.

Just plugged the radio back in this morning and that DS09 on one of my ailerons that quit last night works again. The other two servos were always working, but I checked my battery Voltage and it was around 3.9V/cell.

Maybe the servo got warm/overheated?

To check the BEC out put Voltage can I just connect a meter to one of the servo extensions coming out of the Rx? Or do I have to go right to the BEC?

Guess I'll be switching that servo out anyway.

Tim
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:39 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,637 Posts
Tim

The ATX 94802 are almost identical to the D09 servos. The difference I can find is the output gear is different so the servo arms are different. I have not tried to swap the D09 output gear and top case to see if it will fit the ATX servo. I know there were a few issues with the D09's but was under the impression that was all taken care of. Great servos as are the 94802's I use the 802's in all the wings of my DLG's and I have them in the ailerons on the Viper.

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Oct 2008
473 Posts
Tim,
One more option: the Futaba S3153.
miche is offline Find More Posts by miche
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:24 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n View Post
Tim

The ATX 94802 are almost identical to the D09 servos. The difference I can find is the output gear is different so the servo arms are different. I have not tried to swap the D09 output gear and top case to see if it will fit the ATX servo. I know there were a few issues with the D09's but was under the impression that was all taken care of. Great servos as are the 94802's I use the 802's in all the wings of my DLG's and I have them in the ailerons on the Viper.

Jeff
Hi Jeff - thanks!

I was hoping to swap out my Hyperion servo arms I already took the time to make, but now that I know how I can quickly make up some new arms for the Airtronics servos.

Thanks for the comments and I hope all is well with you.

Tim
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:27 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Tim,
One more option: the Futaba S3153.
Thanks miche.

I tried just about all the Futaba servos I could find in my Sunracer last summer when I was chasing flutter issues. They all has the ever-so-slightest bit of free play in the gear train, so I couldn't use them.

I use all Futaba servos in all of my Rifles.

For the Viper ailerons, I scanned all the Futaba servos again today. They are all over 9mm thich which is what I need for the Viper wing.

I did look at the HiTec HS-5045HB servos which are 9.6mm thick (compaired to 9.0mm of the Hyperion and Airtronics), so they are close, but I'll go with the Airtronics.

Thanks!

Tim
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:04 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
What's the biggest pack that fits in the Viper (brand, cells, mah, C rating?)

I am piecing together my budget for a Viper, but I am still deciding on the Viper vs. Jibe 2, vs. Cyclone (Acme flying machines)
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:13 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,395 Posts
johnnyrocco123,

I have done lots of research on this thread trying to figure out what battery size to use for my Viper. I copied and pasted all relevant comments in this thread about batteries into a separate file for easier reference. I just copied what I have for you in this post.

So, I don't have a difinitive answer yet my self, but this is what I have. I'm looking for a single, 5S "brick," so this is what I have gathered information about:

Battery dimensions:
Max. Length: 140mm
Max. Width (with reasonable length of trimming): 36 – 37mm
Max. Height: 43mm (barely – no room for Velcro)

Max.= 140 x 37 x 43

“These are the largest batteries I have been able to fit:”
136x43x28, 136x43x30, 127x39x36

Gens ACE 5s 2200mah 55C: 106L x 34W x 40.8H 311g

“Lengthwise and widthwise, you are okay (you will have to widen the aft portion of the wing saddle ever so slightly; see pic). The height is the potential problem. A battery that is 43 mm in height is such that the wing is EXACTLY flush with the top of the battery. If you really want to use the battery in question, I suspect that it will fit. However, you will certainly not have room to fit Velcro below it, and will have to tape the battery in place by placing tape across the top of the battery before securing the wing. Even then, the fuselage will flex downward some, as well as the wing upward some, when the wing is completely screwed on. One way to make the fit better would be to cut the wrapping of the battery on the top and bottom. That would effectively take off 1 mm or so and allow it to fit just flush. That is what I would do, personally.”

Here are some battery dimensions I found on my own:
Hyperion 2200mAh 5S 35C: 105 x 34 x 40, 77A, 307g
Hyperion 2200mAh 5S 45C: 105 x 34 x 43, 99A, 316g
Flight Power 2250mAh 50C: 138 x 30 x 47mm
Flight Power 2200mAh 30C: 107 x 36mm x 43mm
ThunderPower 2250mAh 45C: 102 x 35 x 43, 315g
Banana Hobby Genesis Power 2200mAh 55C: 106 x 35 x 41, 307g, $41.00
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:57 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,146 Posts
KR, I cringed when I saw the goop, and started to cry when I saw the weights.

Goop, or shoe goo, is strong, really strong. The problem is that it shrinks as it sets. If your skin is not reinforced, it will deform it. It's that strong. So imagine now what kind of damage it will do the hyperion servo. My advice, hypersion servos fail when they get too hot. Turn your radio on, and place a finger on the servo. See if it heats up. If it starts to heat, you know that there is too much friction in there... in which case I would replace it. If not, then I think you are good to go.

In the future, I recommend: TAPE THE SERVO WITH BLUE PAINT MASKING TAKE, it has a bit of give, which is what you want, because you want to glue it in using 5 or 10 min epoxy with microbaloons. If the servo breaks in the future, the epoxy-ballon mix will easy, no very easily, grind away after you (1) cut the tape (2) remove the servo.
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:34 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,395 Posts
Thanks so much for taking the time to post your suggestions la528it.

I use Zap Goo to glue in the aileron servos in my Sunracer III. I’ve had to glue in and remove the servos five or six times while trying different servos to chase down the flutter problems I was having with it. What I liked about the Zap Goo was it held the servos very securely, but I could twist them out with force and peel away the glue for reinstalling new servos. On the other hand though, the platform to which the servos are mounted in the Sunracer wing is much stronger than the single layer of thin carbon fiber in my Viper.

Same as you, someone else recently commented about all the weight I used to glue down the servos in my Viper, so I guess you’re onto something there. He suggested the weight deformed the paper-thin servo case. Yes, you can feel the gears turning when you hold the servo in your fingers!

I’m quite certain the servo temporarily failed because it was too hot, because it’s working fine now.

I think I’ll extract the servos and install my Airtronics servos with blue masking tape as you suggest. That seems to be the norm from every other installation I have seen.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your suggestions.

Tim
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:54 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n View Post
Tim

Jeff
To clarify -- Yes, the Airtronics 94802 servos are basically identical to the Hyperion DS-09's.
They do use the same servo arms.
The Airtronics version is not programmable like the Hyperion, but it is rated for usage at 6V, which is nice in some applications.

Lenny
Lenny970 is online now Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:05 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,270 Posts
It's said that the Neu FAI 2100 5S is the about the same size as most 4S packs.

Take look at these specs http://www.neumotors.com/Site/FAI_Power_Packs.html

2100 5S fits the X-Plane....should fit the Viper. Worth looking into. There's also the 1800 5S.

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:26 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
It's said that the Neu FAI 2100 5S is the about the same size as most 4S packs.

Take look at these specs http://www.neumotors.com/Site/FAI_Power_Packs.html

2100 5S fits the X-Plane....should fit the Viper. Worth looking into. There's also the 1800 5S.

Bill
Here's another link...to the page where you can buy them...

http://www.neumotors.com/store/index.html

Only $45.00?

Just made the top of my list.

Anybody try these???
Old Feb 23, 2012, 01:43 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
935 Posts
As I've noted before, a TP 5s 2700 mAh 65C easily fits and balances in the Viper if the wing saddle sides are trimmed a little. It's just the right combination of unusual dimensions to fit.
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI Phantom on 4s with WKM