Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:34 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,114 Posts
Throttle on switch,so full throttle of course.
Gearbox was 6.7:1
Rest of the questions to LA 528it,it was his plane and I don't know the answers.
Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2010, 02:36 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox View Post
Throttle on switch,so full throttle of course.
Gearbox was 6.7:1
Rest of the questions to LA 528it,it was his plane and I don't know the answers.
Yuri.
16/35/1.5 5s 2200mah kontronik 5.2, 15x16rfm. Flew today on 15x15 eflight prop. It was boring. My cg is WAY too far forward (used f5d.co.uk setup). I warmed up to this maiden flying an enigm a bit under 4kw, and it made the viper feel like a dog. Jsnaphook and fishandguts said it was really fast, but I didn't feel it, especially with the throws doing so little. Part of the boredom came from predictability, this plane sincerely flew like it was on rails, no side tracking whatsoever (thanks to stiff boom). I ordered a show version so this may have something to do with the lack of any flex whatsoever. Around the 8th motor run something did not sound right. Landed, and sure enough, the spinner was loose. If you ever have the choice, GM spinners > rfm any day of the year...

launching was a piece of cake: hit the motor before you throw.... only the experts (f5b competitors) can't afford to waste power and instead pause until the last second before launching. If you are like me (non-expert) save your plane and waste a few watts letting the motor reach full speed prior to chucking it.

Hope this helps!
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:43 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it View Post
16/35/1.5 5s 2200mah kontronik 5.2, 15x16rfm. Flew today on 15x15 eflight prop. It was boring. My cg is WAY too far forward (used f5d.co.uk setup). I warmed up to this maiden flying an enigm a bit under 4kw, and it made the viper feel like a dog. Jsnaphook and fishandguts said it was really fast, but I didn't feel it, especially with the throws doing so little. Part of the boredom came from predictability, this plane sincerely flew like it was on rails, no side tracking whatsoever (thanks to stiff boom). I ordered a show version so this may have something to do with the lack of any flex whatsoever. Around the 8th motor run something did not sound right. Landed, and sure enough, the spinner was loose. If you ever have the choice, GM spinners > rfm any day of the year...

launching was a piece of cake: hit the motor before you throw.... only the experts (f5b competitors) can't afford to waste power and instead pause until the last second before launching. If you are like me (non-expert) save your plane and waste a few watts letting the motor reach full speed prior to chucking it.

Hope this helps!
no video?
2000W on a Viper is boring?
If Enigma has 1800g and 3600W and Viper has 1000g and 2000W,
Should not fly very close?

Andre
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:35 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it View Post

Hope this helps!
ok thanks, do you know what Amps with 5s on that motor and propp ? 100-120 ?
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Oct 27, 2010, 10:56 AM
Joined Dec 2007
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
ok thanks, do you know what Amps with 5s on that motor and propp ? 100-120 ?
ice said 98 static... but this may involve some slipping... I'll test again later this week
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:25 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,114 Posts
Richard,did You changed gearbox to 5.2? Or it was original?
Did I tell You to increase the throws?

Andre,Rich is spoiled by speed and power.When You got use to 5000W it gets boring too. Everything is gets boring until the point,when plane is to fast for You to manage the controls.Then ,it becomes like a drug,You come to the field to get a "taste"
of it and see "can You, or You can't" and crash gives You relieve along with .
But after,You go and make another plane ,thinking how to make her even faster
And so on.....and on....
Yuri.
Dbox is offline Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Oct 27, 2010, 11:52 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,070 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking:
Will my setup be fine for a pylon F5D Viper?
Neu 1112/1.5Y - 2350KV
5S lipo
Cam 5.2x5.2
If start to get boring I can go with a 4.2 KPG gearbox and 16x16 RFM
Old Oct 27, 2010, 12:04 PM
Joined Dec 2007
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox View Post
Richard,did You changed gearbox to 5.2? Or it was original?
Did I tell You to increase the throws?
Yuri, always 5.2, remember you made firewall (mini c is 6.7). I moved cg back, but it was not enough, will have to put rx pack behind elevator servo and try again.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:34 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
961 Posts
Hey All,

I keep seeing the same Viper F5B video posted (you know, the one in the first entry of this thread). Anyway, a few others have been posted on this thread, most notably by SniperWj. Here's another one that I found on Youtube to add to the collection (notice that the setup is given):

AEM

Viper F5B mit Kontronik Kira 480-31 / 5,2 Getriebe (2 min 1 sec)
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AEMontoya; Oct 28, 2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 03:47 AM
Joined Dec 2007
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
Hey All,

I keep seeing the same Viper F5B video posted (you know, the one in the first entry of this thread). Anyway, a few others have been posted on this thread, most notably by SniperWj. Here's another one to add to the collection (notice that the setup is given):

AEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=658JePpcTZE
Very swiss... awesome scenery, less exciting flying. The one with the German kinders flying on the hill is by far my favorite.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 04:19 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
961 Posts
I remember a while back one of the members was wondering about the Viper being a 200+ mph pylon racer, and what setup could be used if so. Well, here's a rather boring but enlightening video to that effect (Notice that all you have to do is add a 5.2:1 gearbox, replace the prop/spinner, and adjust the COG, and you've got the hotliner the German's flew):

AEM

Viper 201 mph. (2 min 32 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI Phantom on 4s with WKM
Old Oct 28, 2010, 06:54 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
Hey All,

I keep seeing the same Viper F5B video posted (you know, the one in the first entry of this thread). Anyway, a few others have been posted on this thread, most notably by SniperWj. Here's another one to add to the collection (notice that the setup is given):

AEM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=658JePpcTZE
In your video I saw some launch configuration, like 30% power to launch,
did you do that? how?
How many watts on your setup?
Andre
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:31 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
961 Posts
Andre,

This is actually just a video that I came across on YouTube; it is not me piloting. But, I think the pilot simply used the throttle stick as opposed to a button. My guess is that the continuous amperage of the setup is either less than what the ESC's is rated to handle continuously (I think his ESC is good to about 150 A, if I'm not mistaken) or he only uses partial throttle on launch and then just flips the throttle stick up/down rapidly during flight, in this way taking the risk.

Hasta logo,
AEM
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DJI Phantom on 4s with WKM
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:18 AM
The Sarawak KoloMee
Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
263 Posts
sorry guys~ i lost my viper last two day.

it hit a big foamy after a dive ~

snap the wing and it continew fly on his own in to a big deep pond 700m away

im sad, very sad.my buddy the one own red viper very sad too.

thanks to kevin (aerosmith)was kind enough to lend me his son's rubber boat
to picking up the left over viper body float on the pond.

Yiming
SniperWj is offline Find More Posts by SniperWj
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:24 AM
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,655 Posts
Yiming

Man thats bad. Sorry about the plane but it was fun while you had it I am sure. Any damage to the motor or was it destroyed? Water sometimes can be just as hard as the ground

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n