Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:27 PM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
Yeah, but you seem to like it right on the edge...then...maybe...push it just a bit more....am I far off?
that's were the fun is....
plainguy is offline Find More Posts by plainguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:44 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
953 Posts
Plainguy,

Here's what I hope to be my solution for the tight-fitting batteries: 1) wire harness exit as far back as possible (I will probably install a wing plug below the wing tab even) and 2) very thin "velcro" for securing the battery. This velcro is already very thin, but can even be pulled apart, as seen in pic, to make it half as thin yet. The tight fit of the wing against the battery will already nearly serve to hold the battery in place in the first place.

AEM
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AEMontoya; Oct 25, 2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:52 PM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade-breaker View Post
If my (separate from the ESC) BEC is running off the main flight pack and the ESC fries. Wouldnt that still leave me power from the flight pack for the RX? I guess unless it melts the cables or something.

I have been using the Ice Lite 100 for powering the RX and really do not like the idea of adding a separate RX battery pack. Not against it if it is the right thing to do but just do not want to make it more complicated than needed.

Although I have never had a ESC fail so I do not know what exactly could happen.

Let me know what you guys are all running.

Thanks
Ryan
Ryan, I misread your picture, I thought you had the bec and rx right behind the ESC. I then noticed it was behind the flight pack. I'll shoot some pics of mine and post, I have shrunk rx, 2s 350mah lipo and bec, all ahead of elevator servo. Up front is gearbox, motor then ice 100.

Velcro is think, just secure the battery with one or two pieces of kapton around the fuse under the wing.
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Last edited by la528it; Oct 25, 2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:01 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it View Post

Velcro is think, just secure the battery with one or two pieces of kapton around the fuse under the wing.
+1

Tape secures the battery just fine and takes up no space. Since lipo packs don't get hot like the old nimh packs did, you don't really need to use Kapton.
Regular old 2" wide strapping tape works very well. Of course it doesn't have the cooool factor that Kapton does.

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Oct 25, 2010, 01:43 PM
Italy
Joined May 2009
364 Posts
The only pylon I have is the sunracer and now I really would love to buy a Viper, I will not do competition so I don't need to push to the limits or respect some regulations..

What's the safest thing to fly it, hotliner or pylon? I like the big props but I fear to crash the model due to the high torque, what's the setup you'd really suggest?

Thank you
anestetico is offline Find More Posts by anestetico
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:47 PM
United States, MN, Brownsdale
Joined Dec 2008
27 Posts
Quote:
Ryan, I misread your picture, I thought you had the bec and rx right behind the ESC. I then noticed it was behind the flight pack. I'll shoot some pics of mine and post, I have shrunk rx, 2s 350mah lipo and bec, all ahead of elevator servo. Up front is gearbox, motor then ice 100.

OK great I am happy to hear that the BEC is not a concern right next to the RX.
Questions for you. I notice you are running a Ice Lite 100 but still using a separate RX pack? Is this only to keep the RX powered if the ESC fails or is there another reason?

Also you mentioned in a earlier post that Ice Lite 100 > Phoenix 125. The main reason I thought the Phoenix 125 was better is if you go on Castle's web site and use there flight calculator it shows a 4-5 mph pitch speed increase with the Phoenix ESC's. I figured this was due to there lower I.R.

Thanks for the pictures Great stuff!!!!
Blade-breaker is offline Find More Posts by Blade-breaker
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:48 PM
Joined Dec 2008
27 Posts
Quote:

I used 3M masking tape to do the same. Worked great!!!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:54 PM
Joined Dec 2007
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade-breaker View Post
OK great I am happy to hear that the BEC is not a concern right next to the RX.
Questions for you. I notice you are running a Ice Lite 100 but still using a separate RX pack? Is this only to keep the RX powered if the ESC fails or is there another reason?

Also you mentioned in a earlier post that Ice Lite 100 > Phoenix 125. The main reason I thought the Phoenix 125 was better is if you go on Castle's web site and use there flight calculator it shows a 4-5 mph pitch speed increase with the Phoenix ESC's. I figured this was due to there lower I.R.

Thanks for the pictures Great stuff!!!!
No, I was hoping to have more amps drawn, hence I went with an ice 100, instead of an ice 50 or ice 75. I usually like to push the esc beyond the continuous range and if anything in there goes up in smoke, then I want to have rx power, hence I never use the esc bec. As for rx pack: In a test flight (actually on the viper) I had enough torque to unseat the firewall... motor started spinning in the plane. And thankfully, there was no short at the battery. In the past, I have experienced a short when the wires became so twisted, that the battery leads crossed. Without separate rx power, I would have been toast. You also risk a short at the pack if the esc simply goes up in smoke... I don't think it's a bad idea to use the flight pack as rx power if you are running a pylon and operating within the continuous rating of the pack and esc, though I usually go a bit over. Will probably downgrade to an ice 75 or 50 on this plane to save some weight, though may not be worth it, need to go back and look at the castle specs. Any extra IR with ice over phoenix will be negligible, I value the logging enough to make the ice 100 worth more to me than the cc125. Do you even have room for 125?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:01 PM
Joined Oct 2008
473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970 View Post
+1

Tape secures the battery just fine and takes up no space. Since lipo packs don't get hot like the old nimh packs did, you don't really need to use Kapton.
Regular old 2" wide strapping tape works very well. Of course it doesn't have the cooool factor that Kapton does.

Lenny
Thank you for the tip.
la528it is good too but more expensive.
Regards
miche is offline Find More Posts by miche
Old Oct 25, 2010, 06:11 PM
Joined Dec 2007
2,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Thank you for the tip.
la528it is good too but more expensive.
Regards
I get kapton cheaper than strapping tape:

dealextreme.com

just give them 2 weeks to deliver. Get a lot, it's dirt cheap. I use it instead of scotch tape!
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:22 PM
Joined Dec 2008
27 Posts
Quote:
No, I was hoping to have more amps drawn, hence I went with an ice 100, instead of an ice 50 or ice 75. I usually like to push the esc beyond the continuous range and if anything in there goes up in smoke, then I want to have rx power, hence I never use the esc bec. As for rx pack: In a test flight (actually on the viper) I had enough torque to unseat the firewall... motor started spinning in the plane. And thankfully, there was no short at the battery. In the past, I have experienced a short when the wires became so twisted, that the battery leads crossed. Without separate rx power, I would have been toast. You also risk a short at the pack if the esc simply goes up in smoke... I don't think it's a bad idea to use the flight pack as rx power if you are running a pylon and operating within the continuous rating of the pack and esc, though I usually go a bit over. Will probably downgrade to an ice 75 or 50 on this plane to save some weight, though may not be worth it, need to go back and look at the castle specs. Any extra IR with ice over phoenix will be negligible, I value the logging enough to make the ice 100 worth more to me than the cc125. Do you even have room for 125?
I agree with you about the logging!! The CC125 is actually 1/8" shorter than the Ice 75 through 150. It is about a 1/4" thicker but that should not be a problem. If the Ice lite 150 was available I would get one of those.

I like how compact your rx pack and installation is although I am still hoping to use the BEC in the ESC but am just uncomfortabel with with Ice 100 handling it all. I think I need the 150???
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:47 AM
Joined Oct 2008
473 Posts
Quote:
I get kapton cheaper than strapping tape:

dealextreme.com

just give them 2 weeks to deliver. Get a lot, it's dirt cheap. I use it instead of scotch tape!
You are right, and it is free shipping. Thanks
miche is offline Find More Posts by miche
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:25 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anestetico View Post
The only pylon I have is the sunracer and now I really would love to buy a Viper, I will not do competition so I don't need to push to the limits or respect some regulations..

What's the safest thing to fly it, hotliner or pylon? I like the big props but I fear to crash the model due to the high torque, what's the setup you'd really suggest?

Thank you
Hello, I am also wundering this.

I havent decided yet how to do, I have a MEGA motor 16/25/1.5s, that I would like to run on 5s, but I dont know if i should by a gear to my motor.

Ive seen most are running 12-16" propps.

How is it to handlaunch a beast with 2000 watts and a 16" propp, is it much torque ?

Sebbe..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Oct 26, 2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:49 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Planet Earth
Joined Jun 2005
5,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post

How is it to handlaunch a beast with 2000 watts and a 16" propp, is it much torque ?

Sebbe..
I launched Viper with exactly set You described above,same motor,geared,5S and 15x16 RFM. Did not experianced any torgue roll on launch.
Yuri.
Dbox is online now Find More Posts by Dbox
Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:21 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,750 Posts
OK Yuri, that sound nice, but the other videos Ive seen on youtube, like this one:
Viper F5D (3 min 11 sec)

You can see it turns to the left a bit..

Yuri, I have a few questions :

1) did you throw at full throttle?

2) what gearbox is the way to go with my stuff ?

3) What ratio on gearbox ?

4) how much Amps was it with the 16/25/1.5s with 5s lipo and the 15x16 RFm ?

Thanks...
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe