Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:01 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,168 Posts
I always had problems understanding that esc... also, the 16x17 did not fit without a shave, make sure the 16x16 does not hit the leading edge. With a ice 100 the long motor and 5.2, I still had room ahead of the saddle aft of the esc for lipo... if your pack does not go under the front saddle area, then it ought to be fine. What cg and throws did you use? f5d.uk cg/throws or stratair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plainguy View Post
Getting another to set-up as a hotliner. It's still in the oven. In a week or so she'll come out black and purple... What can i say, i'm from the LBC.

She'll be stocked with
MEGA 16/35/1
Kontronic 5,2:1 Gearbox
Jazz FAI 18 ESC
16x16 prop.

I fly my Viper F5D with a 4S hyperion 2600 mAh -what's the biggest 4S i'll be able to fit in this little black beauty?
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2010, 10:51 AM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
Using Rainer's suggestions on throws.
Using his hotliner set-up suggestions. Didn't want to reinvent the wheel.
Re ESC -What do you mean by problems
plainguy is offline Find More Posts by plainguy
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:05 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
975 Posts
Plainguy,

These are the biggest batteries I've been able to fit in the Viper, with no modification needed: Hyp EX 3s 4200 and Hyp EX 4s 3300. Both batteries BARELY fit (within 0.25 mm or so).

AEM
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Futaba 12z Backlight
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:36 PM
United States, MN, Brownsdale
Joined Dec 2008
27 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the info kid.
took apart & found Neu motor yellow wire charred all the way into the motor. maybe problem caused by improper yellow wrap insulation causing arch (?)
HI,

I just maidened my Viper today. Plane flew GREAT!!!

Setup is

1112 1Y
Ice 100
TP 45C 4S
4.75 x 4.75 prop

When under full power the watts are between 1200 and 1450. To much for this motor??

Also the Ice 100 temp was much higher than I thought it would be? Hope there was no damage to it?? Any thoughts?

On the third flight the motor made a horrible sound I lost all power. After looking at the data log it says in the second and third flights there was a prop strike?? After pulling the motor out the YELLOW wire insulation right at the motor is burned off slightly and the wire is a bit black.

Did you ever find out what happened to yours? Do they fix these motors if you send them in or is it junk?

Thanks
Ryan
Blade-breaker is offline Find More Posts by Blade-breaker
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:16 AM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
Thanks for the input Mr. Montoya.

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. ....
couldn't help it... (princess bride)

Ryan, re my old 1112 1Y motor the screws that fastened to motor mount touched copper windings. First time screws cleared -when I got motor back after a repair, I did not notice clearance had changed (i was not careful to check).
Neu motors will repair your motor. Lead time varies from two weeks to two months. Fees depend on damage but you likely would not have to pay more than 50% of retail cost of new motor -if I am not mistaken.
I keep a back up or two.
Presently I am flying with 1115 1Y on 4s / esc 80 amp and pretty sweet. comes down hot as well my batts are about 135 F. ouch!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 01:26 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
Quote:
Presently I am flying with 1115 1Y on 4s / esc 80 amp and pretty sweet. comes down hot as well my batts are about 135 F. ouch!
Yeah, but you seem to like it right on the edge...then...maybe...push it just a bit more....am I far off?
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:55 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
975 Posts
Quote:
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die. ....
couldn't help it... (princess bride)

It's all good. My job as an educator puts me in contact with new high school students all the time. I kid you not, at least one student almost every single day brings this up.

BTW, if you go with the Hyp EX 3300 mAh 4s battery (or the 4200 3s), you may need to place the wire harness exit further back on the wing, depending on how far back you place your battery. The wing is very snug when in place over the battery, even with no Velcro, and there may not be enough room for the wires to run over the top of the battery.

AEM
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined Dec 2008
27 Posts
OK I have been looking at the data log again and just noticed that the Ice 100 was set to outrunner mode. I thought I had changed it to 12 khz but it was not.

Could this have been the reason that the motor went out after only 3 flights??? Maybe also was the reason for the high current draw?

I am not really sure what the effects would be of having this on the wrong setting.

Thanks
Ryan
Last edited by Blade-breaker; Oct 24, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:48 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,856 Posts
4.74X4.75 is too much for 1110-1Y with 4S, 1110-1y IS BETTER SUIT FOR 3s. I use only 4.1X 4.1 even with 1115-1.5D and a CC125 combo on a 4S pack.
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Last edited by LifeisGood; Oct 24, 2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:58 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
I have the 1110-1Y on my Excite. It was set-up for 10 cell nickle-metal, but I just switched it to 3S lipo which reduced the weight by 8 ozs. or so. I haven't had a chance to change the connectors on my watt meter....so my question is....

...does this set-up sound ok?

1110-1Y
4.75x4.75
2200 3S 40C
CC Phx 80A

I'm pretty certain it will perform much better than with the ni-hyd without pushing everything to their limits. Do you think this is so?
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Oct 24, 2010, 09:19 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
975 Posts
Plainguy,

Here's the Hyperion EX 3300 4s in the Viper.

AEM
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:30 PM
Joined Dec 2008
27 Posts
I am upgrading from the Ice Lite 100 to Phoenix 125 or 180 and am planning on using a Castle 10 amp BEC. This attachment shows the place I would like to mount the BEC but this would be the closest I have ever mounted one to a RX and I am unsure if it will cause any problems. Anyone had any problems or comments on this?

Thanks
Ryan
Old Oct 24, 2010, 10:53 PM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,168 Posts
ice 100 > 125

Oops, saw it backwards. No need to worry about esc and cc bec noise, the cc bec has never caused any problems for me with 2.4ghx or anyone else I have read of on the forums. My bec is shrinked atop the rx...
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Last edited by la528it; Oct 24, 2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:25 PM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
AEM,

Thanks for pics. Agreed re wiring. my HYP 4S 2600 has to connect through the side gap between batt and fuse with a little coaxing, there is no space on top of Batt. i put a little Velcro on the side close to the bottom of fuse as well though probably not needed.
re hotliner set up we shall see. hopefully i'll have some pickies in a week or two.

thank you,

rv
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by la528it View Post
ice 100 > 125

If the esc goes, you are toast. I put the 2s rx pack, receiver and bec behind the flight pack, ahead of the elevator servo... suggest you do the same
If my (separate from the ESC) BEC is running off the main flight pack and the ESC fries. Wouldnt that still leave me power from the flight pack for the RX? I guess unless it melts the cables or something.

I have been using the Ice Lite 100 for powering the RX and really do not like the idea of adding a separate RX battery pack. Not against it if it is the right thing to do but just do not want to make it more complicated than needed.

Although I have never had a ESC fail so I do not know what exactly could happen.

Let me know what you guys are all running.

Thanks
Ryan