SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:15 PM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,187 Posts
It's official, stringing the wire leads for the wing servos on this plane are hands down, a huge pita. Spent the last 4 hours getting it on one side
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:24 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob AR View Post
The D60 is a popular choice amongst the F5D fraternity. ...You use so little movement that speed is not that important, what is important is the slop in the servo and its ability to hold neutral as the servo arm is very very short. Rob
I agree with everything you've said. My only beef against the D60's is the cheesy little plastic arms. Especially if you want to drill inside or enlarge the stock holes, doesnt leave much meat. Plus we have had some duds & for sure have just plain worn some out with use. I gave Delbert some Hyperions & D60's just before he left for Muncie, Im not sure what he ended up running in what. But what llittle bench testing I did on the Hyps (both metal gear & nylon gear) , they seemed very solid & tight...and better arms.

Unfortunately there isnt a lot to choose from in the 8-9mm thickness world.
My hunch is F5D is on the ragged edge of D60 capability with speeds increasing. I tried some of those metal gear mojo's in a Kiev model, nice specs & a smidge thinner than D60, but just thet little bit of gear slop around neutral didnt sit well with me.

Somewhere I saw mention of D60's used in +200 mph nice the little moldiesdynamic soaring gliders, cant find it just now. With their heavier weight & slightly faster speed, maybe similar G-turns, I was waiting to see how they would last. Didnt here aboout anything go bang, but then seemed like everyone switched to Hyperion. (Mind you could be fatter foils & they have more leeway).
ptxman is offline Find More Posts by ptxman
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:42 PM
Miami Fl/Santo.Dgo.
Joined Jun 2004
719 Posts
I have DS09's on my Viper but I have 3 D60's on my Demon which is faster than the Viper w/o any issues, also I'm running them straight from a 2s lipo.

epc2.
epc2 is offline Find More Posts by epc2
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:57 PM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post
...D60's on my Demon ... also I'm running them straight from a 2s lipo.
Wow, didnt think they were capable of that. No buzzing, no smoke? Most of the servos incl Hyperion make a 'HV' version for 2S.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:05 AM
The Sarawak KoloMee
Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
263 Posts
wow! learn something new on that!! thanks for sharing!!!

willl try it next time on my next ship~ i order 6pcs of d60 from bro for my viper~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptxman View Post
Wow, didnt think they were capable of that. No buzzing, no smoke? Most of the servos incl Hyperion make a 'HV' version for 2S.
SniperWj is online now Find More Posts by SniperWj
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:52 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,187 Posts
Quote:
D47 takes 2s sans problem as well!
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:03 AM
Caution:Makes sharp left turns
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Feb 1999
6,017 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately there isnt a lot to choose from in the 8-9mm thickness world.
My hunch is F5D is on the ragged edge of D60 capability with speeds increasing. I tried some of those metal gear mojo's in a Kiev model, nice specs & a smidge thinner than D60, but just thet little bit of gear slop around neutral didnt sit well with me.
Get this, the Austrians were using D47's in their thin wings. Their ailerons were tiny in size but everything felt tight and slop free. Some others were using them in elevators too.
Troy is offline Find More Posts by Troy
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:44 AM
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
1,935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
.. the Austrians were using D47's in their thin wings..
Yeah I saw their same same config in WC-08. Amazing. I figured it was just a matter of time... before that we burned out the D47 geartrains & they spec lower than D60. Go figure.

One idea I had was to bank 2 of them them lateraly, but pushing together on the same horn, or close offset horn within the same shroud. Similar principle to big pattern models before thh big-juicer servos came out. That way you still get the benefit of fully hidden servo within ultra-thin wing. But that raises other complications & tradeoffs - synching & throw equalization, more exposed linkage drag...
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:09 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,133 Posts
Viper Videos

Guys,

I saw a lot of discussion on this theard and no video from you flying this baby.
I know you guys are flying very diff configs, so, would be good to check this variety of setups and their performance.

I'm gonna buy a Viper, hotliner or pylon?

Cheers,
Andre
decones is online now Find More Posts by decones
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:40 PM
The Sarawak KoloMee
Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
263 Posts
reply to decones

this plane will do BOTH!

me and my buddy building our viper~ picture and video will come up next week!

me build it for geardrive and direct drive,which mean i will bring two sets of power system to the field!

yes 6s

Guys,

I saw a lot of discussion on this theard and no video from you flying this baby.
I know you guys are flying very diff configs, so, would be good to check this variety of setups and their performance.

I'm gonna buy a Viper, hotliner or pylon?

Cheers,
Andre[/QUOTE]
SniperWj is online now Find More Posts by SniperWj
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:48 PM
Miami Fl/Santo.Dgo.
Joined Jun 2004
719 Posts
A small landing clip of my Viper , trying a Key chain camera.

epc2.

Viper F5D landing. (0 min 31 sec)
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:52 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
Very cool...but why not land in the grass?
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:54 PM
Speed King
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Feb 2003
959 Posts
That makes me cringe seeing lovely moulded models scrape along a Tarmac runway, Especially at the price they cost. Why not use the nice soft grass the otherside of the runway to land on?

Pretty good picture from that little cam. What camera did you use?
MarkChinery is offline Find More Posts by MarkChinery
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:55 PM
Miami Fl/Santo.Dgo.
Joined Jun 2004
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbritton View Post
Very cool...but why not land in the grass?
I always land on the runway to avoid cartwheels , I use the chassis protector stuff on the bottom, very good stuff that the car guys use no scratches at all.

epc2.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:01 PM
Speed King
London Heathrow, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Feb 2003
959 Posts
I've been flying pylon models for 15 years and have never kartwheeled one landing on grass. I guess if the protector does it's job then why not. I presume it wears the prop down a little each landing.
MarkChinery is offline Find More Posts by MarkChinery