HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:02 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Was it a 1115/1Y you had in it before also? If so, I can tell you I have a 1115/1Y which is too "hot" because of a loose shaft. It will be sent back for repair soon. I expect a drop in amps like yours, but can compensate with a bigger prop if the performance is not satisfactory.
Yes, same motor as before; the last one burned up due to a bad batch of magnets according to Neu Motors. The current motor is turning out 74 amps and 960 watts on 4S and 107 amps and 1860 watts on 5S. The old motor turned out 93 amps and 1126amps on 4S and 121 amps and 2110 watts on 5S. (4.75X4.75 prop).
LVSloper is online now Find More Posts by LVSloper
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:39 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSloper View Post
Yes, same motor as before; the last one burned up due to a bad batch of magnets according to Neu Motors. The current motor is turning out 74 amps and 960 watts on 4S and 107 amps and 1860 watts on 5S. The old motor turned out 93 amps and 1126amps on 4S and 121 amps and 2110 watts on 5S. (4.75X4.75 prop).
Do you have rpm data from the two motors and same prop/battery? Your new motor might turn the prop at the same or similar rpm but with higher efficiency than the old one.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Do you have rpm data from the two motors and same prop/battery? Your new motor might turn the prop at the same or similar rpm but with higher efficiency than the old one.
The data logging failed to download; I will have to check my saved files and see if I have any data to compare. The batterys(TP) are a year old; this might contribute to some loss of power.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
832 Posts
Bad magnets presumably means weak magnets. Weak magnets will raise the kv of a motor if everything else is the same. So it may be your old motor was defective drawing that much power and now it seems like you've lost power with a motor that is working as designed.

Change props to get the power back up if that is what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSloper View Post
the last one burned up due to a bad batch of magnets according to Neu Motors.
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:03 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
Agree! I expect an increase in performance, all other things being equal.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Last edited by Arcteryxxx; Dec 30, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:02 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,336 Posts
Biskit,
Thank you for the clarification, I'm looking to keep the plane flying in the 200 mph speed range on four cells. I will have to double check the operating range for the motor according to Neu motors. The motor is producing slightly more watts per amps over the old motor; maybe a little higher efficiency.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:11 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,400 Posts
Your watt meter is measuring watts consumed, not produced.

Watts = volts x amps

More watts from less amps means more volts. Thats your battery not your motor...
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:57 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,336 Posts
Test flight - Neu motor

Well, I finally had some good weather here in Vegas; tested out the replacement motor from Neu Motors. The plane is probably down 20mph; trims were way out of adjustment. I only ran it on the 4S today since I have not flown it since April and being a new motor i did not want to stress it too much(5 flights). I'll have to download the flight data log and check out the numbers. The flight times were up about a minute and half along with motor run times up about the same. I averaged five and half minutes on flight time and three and a half minutes of motor run time; comsuming about 1.7 - 2.0 volts on the batterys. I have not recharged the batterys to get a mah reading.
5S Saturday.

Mike
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
I got a question. I am wanting to make a little air hole on top of the fuse in front of the wing saddle. Is this a good place to make an air hole. I have one on each side of the fuse up front for air to the motor but want to make a hole up where the esc gets pushed to the top of the fuse when I put my 2 cell pack under it. Would this make any compromise to the fuse?
smoothflying is offline Find More Posts by smoothflying
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:43 PM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
885 Posts
The front-end beside the motor is a low preasure area, good spot to get air out,not in.
A hole right at the wingsattle may give a higher preasure area(depends how close to the wing) so it may happen that airflow is reverted and rear hole is inlet and the front holes are outlet.

Yello
Mreyello is offline Find More Posts by Mreyello
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:56 PM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreyello View Post
The front-end beside the motor is a low preasure area, good spot to get air out,not in.
A hole right at the wingsattle may give a higher preasure area(depends how close to the wing) so it may happen that airflow is reverted and rear hole is inlet and the front holes are outlet.

Yello
It wont be right on the wing saddle maybe about in the middle of the nose and leading edge of wing.
smoothflying is offline Find More Posts by smoothflying
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:08 PM
Deutschland, RP, Niederzissen
Joined Dec 2011
885 Posts
Just check out bernoullis law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli%27s_principle

At the front side of the fuse airflow is accellerated ( as the diameter gets bigger) so surface preasure is low.right behind the spinner preasure is lower than more behind where the fuse starts to get cylindric, but anyway both spots are low preasure.
The airflow followes the preasure difference, if frontholes got lower presure than the rear one airflow will be reverted.

Best results i got with inlet in Spinner nose and outlet at the end of the fuse.

Yello
Mreyello is offline Find More Posts by Mreyello
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coil View Post
Sorry to but speedcup outrunners are way bigger You will never fit one in a viper, you need 40mm or more, they also use 7inch or bigger prop. The folding props are custom made to sustain that kind of power.

My advice is to go with 28mm motor + gearbox and BIG prop or 28mm motor and small pylon prop.

If you seek speed go with pylon setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXXJe19Z0rI
Just watched this vid and I'm very impressed with the performance
he's running Mega 16-25-2 on 6s 2100mAh 30c the motor is rated @ 35 short time max amps I would be surprised if he's pulling 35 Amps it would be easily double that or more
I'm looking at a similar setup
can anyone give me more info?
Thanks
Quadmad is offline Find More Posts by Quadmad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:51 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,400 Posts
16/25/2 is very overloaded on 6S, your better off going for a larger motor (16/30+), youll get more performance from less power, and have a motor thats not on the edge of melting. That setup would be over 100A

5S on the 16/25/2 is nice though.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Last edited by jackosmeister; Jan 19, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
16/25/2 is very overloaded on 6S, your better off going for a larger motor (16/30+), youll get more performance from less power, and have a motor thats not on the edge of melting. That setup would be over 100A

5S on the 16/25/2 is nice though.
Thanks. where's the best place to buy a Mega motor ? any idea what prop he was using ?
Quadmad is offline Find More Posts by Quadmad
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)