HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:38 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
ok, thanks,, still a lot of money for me to get a pack, I guess I have to stick with gens ace 5s packs and some surgery to get them smaller..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:44 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I run long leads, but that is part of the problem.
You can cut off and resolder the ESC wires as seen in the pics here. This will allow you to perfectly fit the batteries pictured, even when the motors has a gearbox, as shown. Doing this is not necessary to fit these batteries, however; it just frees up a bit more room and makes the pushing away of the wires during battery installation free from resistance. (The 5s lipo requires trimming the wing saddle slightly.)
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Custom Futaba 12z Monitor Mount
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:06 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,381 Posts
That was a very "bling" heatsink!
Care to post a link to the vendor?
Or is it a major rework on a couple of MPIs?

Thanks
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:09 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
You can cut off and resolder the ESC wires as seen in the pics here. This will allow you to perfectly fit the batteries pictured, even when the motors has a gearbox, as shown. Doing this is not necessary to fit these batteries, however; it just frees up a bit more room and makes the pushing away of the wires during battery installation free from resistance. (The 5s lipo requires trimming the wing saddle slightly.)
I was going to cut my ESC wires and direct solder, but I don't even need to with this Max amps pack. It fits so easily, and I have an inch of room to move the pack forward if needed.

I did end up shortening the battery leads as well as the ESC (batt leads)

Less wire top stuff between the ESC and battery.

I just love the fact I don't have wires running to the sides or over the battery. That is such a pain when trying to put the wing on.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:45 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
That was a very "bling" heatsink!
Care to post a link to the vendor?
Or is it a major rework on a couple of MPIs?

Thanks
Thanks a lot. It's nice to get a little praise for that thing; it took a while to make. It is in fact a rework of a couple of MPIs. I don't recommend trying it yourself, as it took a while to do the measuring, tapering, grinding, drilling, .... It's super light, and fits everything like a glove, though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:55 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Seems like other then maybee to get the pack inside, the height should not be a problem up to 43mm, how come some having problem fitting packs only 41mm heigh ?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:03 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Seems like other then maybee to get the pack inside, the height should not be a problem up to 43mm, how come some having problem fitting packs only 41mm heigh ?
What I don't understand is when people tell you something is going to fit, or even show you a picture of the battery in the fuse, but don't account for ESC leads, wing servo leads, switches, BEC's, Rx packs, ...............

If the battery was the only thing to fit, it would be a bit easier.

My Max amp pack fits good until, I needed to move it up half an inch to balance the plane. Now, it barely fits.

There are many factors, that's all I am saying

I am also used to 3D planes where I could fit a 6S 5000 pack, my lunch, and maybe a newborn baby.
Last edited by johnnyrocco123; Oct 03, 2012 at 08:14 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:12 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
I am just talking about fitting the battery, not a specfic setup making the placement for battery hard..As I know it depends on many factors when trying to place the battery..
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:04 AM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,037 Posts
All of the batteries in post #1517 will fit with all other gear installed, can be installed/un-installed without issue with all other gear in place, and allow for proper balancing for both a hotliner and a pylon racer setup.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:25 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEMontoya View Post
All of the batteries in post #1517 will fit with all other gear installed, can be installed/un-installed without issue with all other gear in place, and allow for proper balancing for both a hotliner and a pylon racer setup.
I wanted to refrain from trimming the wing saddle at all costs. I have found in past models, that trimming wing saddles lead to cracks on not so perfect landings.

Basically every time you snag a wing tip, it puts stress on the wing saddle.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
So did it all work out with the new battery???
smoothflying is offline Find More Posts by smoothflying
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:41 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothflying View Post
So did it all work out with the new battery???
Yeah it did. I got 5 solid flights on it this weekend at a fly-in. The speed was better, but still not what I was thinking.

Unfortunately, I made a ridiculous mistake at the end of the last flight. Somehow I hit the spoilerons without knowing. Anyone ever do that?

So I am bleeding off speed to land, and all of the son, it dies and tip stalls. As I am walking over to get the plane, I cam completely puzzled on what happened. Until I get closer and see that he spoilerons are deployed.

Idiotic move #1: I assigned the spoileron switch to my usual rudder HI/Lo rates switch that I toggle between 20 times a flight on my 3D airplanes. So by habit, I rest my finger right above it, must have hit it when I was bleeding off speed, and never knew. I know for sure that I didn't hit it at speed.

Damage wasn't that bad since it hit at low speed, but the wing took damage around the center where it meets the lip. Other than that, a few hair line cracks in the fuse, and it killed my battery and esc. The fuse is flyable, the wing needs a little work. I am not sure I am gong to keep it, seeing that I have been very disappointed with the setup, and lack of battery room. I just don't have the time right now to mess with it.

Thinking about letting it go for half price, someone could have it back in the air in no time. Has brand new Hyperion DS09's in it. I'll take pics and post.

It is killing me that I made such a stupid mistake
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
What motor and esc are u running?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:57 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothflying View Post
What motor and esc are u running?
Ice lite 100, Neu 1115/2.5D, 5.25x6.25
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
Need some advice fellas. Here is some of my data from 4S and 5S. These are maxes on 4.75*4.75 prop. Is this bad or good. Looks like 5S is not good.

4S
1400 Watts
81 amps

5S
2200 Watts
122 amps
270 degrees