HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:27 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
I bet your Viper was going faster than it looked - that's how it is for me at least even on 5S (until you get a pass right down on the deck aligned with the centerline of the runway right in front of your self!).

If it can take a 5.25 x 6.25 on 5S don't see why it couldn't take a larger prop on 4S. On 5S I get about 95A - 100A static, so I guess that should be a safe number to shoot for on 4S.

Don't know what the max temp should be. 150?

Tim
I was thinking around 150 degrees. I will shoot for 95a.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:36 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Anyone using this in a Viper?

http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-2250-185-Flight-Pack.htm

I am on the hunt for a single 5s battery that will fit and deliver some good amps. This looks like it might be the one....
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:23 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Will this fit?

I have made up a mock pack, but it's hard to tell...

I am having a custom 5s pack made at 99x40x34mm.

The pic show how it will go in the Viper, with the battery leads exiting the top running towards the ESC. Does look like it will work?

2200mah pack
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I have made up a mock pack, but it's hard to tell...

I am having a custom 5s pack made at 99x40x34mm.

The pic show how it will go in the Viper, with the battery leads exiting the top running towards the ESC. Does look like it will work?

2200mah pack
Are u making it ursrelf or someone else. I'm interested if it fits perfect.
smoothflying is offline Find More Posts by smoothflying
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:47 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothflying View Post
Are u making it ursrelf or someone else. I'm interested if it fits perfect.
I'll let you know in about 5 days. I ordered it yesterday. It is the same dimensions of a Hyperion 5S 2200mah 35C. Actually this one is about 1/2mm smaller on width and height, and shorter by about 6mm in length. The C-Rating is supposed to be a true 60C.

question is, how do I secure it??? if it does fit it will be do it by fractions of a mm. (no room for velcro)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Apr 2012
81 Posts
I would think the Velcro would squish a little. Might be something to try when u get it. How much was it??
smoothflying is offline Find More Posts by smoothflying
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:26 AM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I'll let you know in about 5 days. I ordered it yesterday. It is the same dimensions of a Hyperion 5S 2200mah 35C. Actually this one is about 1/2mm smaller on width and height, and shorter by about 6mm in length. The C-Rating is supposed to be a true 60C.

question is, how do I secure it??? if it does fit it will be do it by fractions of a mm. (no room for velcro)
This might sound strange,but trust me on this one....If I use Velcro on the bottom of the fuselage and lipo,my wing does not fit so good,but when I tried putting a piece on the bottom of the wing,and top of lipo the wing fits on no problem.I use a 1"x1" piece in line with the wing bolts .
VooDoo Child is online now Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:38 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
This might sound strange,but trust me on this one....If I use Velcro on the bottom of the fuselage and lipo,my wing does not fit so good,but when I tried putting a piece on the bottom of the wing,and top of lipo the wing fits on no problem.I use a 1"x1" piece in line with the wing bolts .
Cool, I will try that. I know it is going to be really close. All I need to do is get it in once. I plan on leaving it in the fuse.

I am still bitter at SUSA for selling me this with cinfidence that the TP 5S 2250mah 65C pack would fit. I would have bought a Jolt if I had known it was going t obe such a pain.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:42 PM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
F5B guys would tape across the battery grabbing on to edge of plane fuse and cross over battery. It won't budge. they use thin Kapton tape.
good luck!
plainguy is offline Find More Posts by plainguy
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:42 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,007 Posts
Securing with the velcro under the wing should work, but be sure the pack is held real well. When you grip the fuse for launch, it tends to cause the bottom of the fuse, below the battery, to pull down, leaving the battery more or less hanging from its velcro attachment under the wing. This could be asking for trouble if the securing isn't really good. I had one instance where I had this type of setup with my Viper and the battery slipped back during the throw. It not only caused the COG to be way off, but the sliding battery ripped one of the aileron wires out completely from the wing wire harness. I happened to throw it off a sloped cliff, and luckily had enough time to circle it around and land it without incident.

If the pack is pretty wide, and barely fits through the saddle, then there's the chance that when the battery is pushed all the way down onto the bottom of the fuse, there's a gap between the bottom of the battery and the bottom of the fuse due to the curvature of the fuse. In this case, some thinner style velcro may be able to be used within this gap, and you wouldn't have to worry about the above scenario so much.
AEMontoya is online now Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Custom Futaba 12z Monitor Mount
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:01 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Im liking the kapton tape idea. Hopefully that will work.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:13 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,312 Posts
I usually do mine with no velcro. Make a blocking system to keep the battery from moving fore/aft. One block in front the other in back. I use triangular chuncks of foam in front and back to cushion the pack and gently squeeze it in between the blocks.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:42 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
I usually do mine with no velcro. Make a blocking system to keep the battery from moving fore/aft. One block in front the other in back. I use triangular chuncks of foam in front and back to cushion the pack and gently squeeze it in between the blocks.
How secure the blocks against fuse?
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:51 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,312 Posts
I run a couple of screws into the block from the underside of the fuse then use small pieces of foam block as a cushion front and back. The battery is slightly wedged in holding it securely.

The CG can be changed by changing the sizes of the foam blocks front and rear.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:48 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,813 Posts
ok, always nice to get new ideas..
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe