HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2009, 03:08 AM
Suspended Account
Newark NJ
Joined Oct 2009
261 Posts
Discussion
New OS 55cc Gas Engine Coming SOON Check it out PICS INSIDE

just vistited one of a Japanese website and it seems OS is coming out with 55cc Gas Engine here is the link to all the specs

http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/n...ewsdesk_id=298
Aga1978 is offline Find More Posts by Aga1978
Last edited by Aga1978; Oct 07, 2009 at 03:49 AM. Reason: changed text
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2009, 06:11 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,841 Posts
Well, whether they sell it in the USA depends on the value of the dollar:
Currently 65,100.00 JPY = 733.796 USD
So that puts the engine about $200 USD more than the other 50 to 55cc engines they are already selling here. But it will likely cost $300 more than the other engines due to other factors though.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Oct 07, 2009, 06:22 AM
Suspended Account
Newark NJ
Joined Oct 2009
261 Posts
i agree lil pricy for 50cc class but lets see when we get some reviews Saito already selling their Gas versions for a while i thought but smaller displacement i would this when it comes in the states it will be priced around $900-$1000
Old Oct 07, 2009, 04:33 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Can't say that I'd buy one when you can get a very good DL(E)50/55 for half the price.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Oct 08, 2009, 11:20 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,658 Posts
If Tower/Great Planes hold to their typical pricing structure, the OS gasser will sell for about 60%~65% of the "list" price.

65,100 Yen = $737.00 USD, so figure it should sell around $500, once all the initial excitement dies down and GP feels they've gouged enough from the OS faithful.

I'm curious how well OS will fare in the gasser market, it's a whole different ballgame than glow engines....
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hemikiller; Oct 08, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 12:58 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,841 Posts
I do like the serious amount of closely packed cooling fins on that engine. Might be most promising in a cowled plane with not a lot of room around the engine.

I would like to see smaller gasoline spark ignition engines for using in 20, 40 and 60 size airplanes myself. Modern versions of the old time engines, but we have throttles too.

Humm, might be something worth trying out on a 40 or 45 engine sometime. I'll need to find a small spark plug and ignition system and see what happens. Maybe even see if I can make or get someone to make for me a rod with needle bearings on the big end too.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Oct 08, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 05:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Does Konrad know about this ???? OS better hope theres no NICKEL in there
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 08, 2009, 05:53 PM
Suspended Account
Newark NJ
Joined Oct 2009
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun
Does Konrad know about this ???? OS better hope theres no NICKEL in there
lol i agree IF that motor makes it to the states,well it has not even hit the asian market still in develoment stage and sells around $500 im all over it her is what the distributor wrote to me
Thank you for your inquiry. However, the new OS GT55 is not available yet here and the manufacturer hesitated to give us more concrete informations about this engine
Old Oct 08, 2009, 08:29 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,841 Posts
It has a ring on the piston, so it is very doubtful that it is of a ABN type of cylinder construction. But that could change when it goes into production.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Oct 08, 2009, 08:55 PM
Suspended Account
Newark NJ
Joined Oct 2009
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb
It has a ring on the piston, so it is very doubtful that it is of a ABN type of cylinder construction. But that could change when it goes into production.
CNC cylinder liner with high precision. Special aluminum has low coefficient of expansion and very light weigh. I agree with earlwb OS been around ages and im sure they know what they doing
Old Oct 08, 2009, 10:55 PM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
The Chinese have the AAC process pretty well sorted now -- I don't know if OS has even started looking at this technology.

If this engine were to be their first foray into AAC technology then I'd be more than a little worried (based on their first attempts at electroless nickel.

However, I can't see any way that OS will be selling a 55cc gas engine at a price that comes even slightly close to the Chinese' products like the DL/DLE 50/55 and it's pretty hard to fault those engines so why would you go OS?
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Oct 08, 2009, 11:41 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
2,997 Posts
Normally I have no interest in engines big enough for man carrying flight but this one is a bit intriguing in that it's based on normal model engines so it's efficiency should be quite good. The photo shows a ringed piston which is fair enough because ABx technology doesn't seem to work very well for larger engines. Most change to rings at about the 1.08 area.

One thing about the photos that has me curious is the massive cut aways on the piston in the port areas and the shape of the crankcase which makes me wonder if they could be using Dooling style transfer porting where all mixture passes through the piston ports.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Oct 09, 2009, 06:54 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,155 Posts
The OS has a sleeve which I seriously doubt is aluminum. The text on the website above is misleading. The OS site talks about a low expansion alloy for the piston in the caption for that photo.

Randy or RJL told me that the ~16cc size is about the limit for ringless pistons. He said that there is just too much distortion from the temperature differential across the piston and sleeve in larger engines. In smaller engines the temperature gradient across the piston is smaller and there is less distortion.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz