HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:28 PM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
285 Posts
Discussion
Near topic - Canon 7D RC video test

Ok, so it's not aerial, but there's likely some interested parties here. I took my new 7D to the field to test out its video capabilities. I'm quite pleased with the image quality, now I just need to learn what to do with it. The last clip was shot 1080p and the rest was 720p.

While I'd love to get aerial footage with it, I'm pretty sure I just don't have the cajones to put it in the air.

Mike

Greg Flying (1 min 43 sec)
muidaq is offline Find More Posts by muidaq
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2009, 11:28 AM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,361 Posts
Sure is nice and clear! I'm like you, I have two HD cameras. I decided to keep one for family filming and I bought a little VADO HD which is very small and light 3oz. and I will fly with it. BTW! I bought it used off ebay very reasonable.
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Oct 07, 2009, 03:26 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,702 Posts
I am thinking of getting a 7D as well. I have a video production company and it will be a dandy tool in my arsenal. I have another camera to sell to pay for it. I would love to see someone fly with one but they are pretty heavy once outfitted with a lens. It will come in over 2 pounds with a lens so not many of us have planes that can handle that much weight....oh the possibilities though.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
Old Oct 07, 2009, 05:20 PM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogman1206
I am thinking of getting a 7D as well. I have a video production company and it will be a dandy tool in my arsenal. I have another camera to sell to pay for it. I would love to see someone fly with one but they are pretty heavy once outfitted with a lens. It will come in over 2 pounds with a lens so not many of us have planes that can handle that much weight....oh the possibilities though.
Frogman, have you looked at Mike Power's designs such as the Solution, Super Solution and Heptad? These planes will easily carry 2lb weight and can be built and kitted out for not much more than a small EZ star or Slowstick!! It might be worth checking out

Cheers
DaveB...>
(owner of a Solution, Solution UL and LoRyder)
GliderGuideMan is offline Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan
Old Oct 07, 2009, 06:05 PM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,702 Posts
I have a Heptad already I am thinking of modding it a little to carry my Rebel Xt. A 7d is significantly heavier.

The 7D is 28.9 oz for the body only. The Rebel XT I have is 17.1 oz for the body only. Add an entry lens and the 7D is well over 2 pounds. The XT and Nikon Mike flys top out about 25-27 oz with lens and battery. I think he told me his design could be ok up to about 2 pounds with some mods. Any more than that and I think you are pushing it. I'm not putting a camera worth over $2K on my plane if it is questionable.

The basic 18-55 Kit lens I have here is 6 oz so that makes the 7D fly at almost 35 ounces and the RebelXT at 23 oz. Add in a downlink and you are hauling some serious weight.

The RebelXT and Mike's Nikon D40 are DSLRs but more targeted at entry level photo enthusiasts. The 7D and it's big brother the 5D MKii are more high end pro level cams.

Ohh....the video we could get from one of those up there though....that would be cool. I have seen video from the 7D with a base level lens...it's amazing...that's why I want one. Anyone looking for a prolevel HD video camera that weighs in just over 2 pounds? Once I sell it I can get a 7D. I was going to sell my Rebel to cover some of the 7D costs but I will probably keep it in case I want to strap it to my heptad.

Maybe Mike could put about 2.5 pounds of ballast on the nose of one of his planes and see how they work. Then we could toss a 7D up there.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206