HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2009, 09:28 PM
Joined Oct 2009
1 Posts
Question
GP Lear Jet 40 conversion to EDF

I am beginning construction on the Great Planes Lear Jet 40 (.40-.45 glow) and am considering building it with twin EDF's.

Here are the specs (from Great Planes):
Wing span 55.5 in
Wing area 554 sq-in.
Weight 6.5-7.5 lbs
Wing loading 29 oz/sq-ft

I am looking for some shared expertise:

1) What size and RPM for the two EDF's would be required to fly this model? (Suggestions for EDF, RPM, ESC and LiPo?)

2) How will the weight vary between the glow engine/fuel tank versus the EDF/ESC/LiPo setup?

3) Will I need separate LiPo's for each EDF or will both run off one battery? (I know that separate ESC's and probably separate channels will be needed.)

4) I am considering adding retracts and may also work in flaps. Any comments or suggestions?

5) Any building considerations and suggestions?

6) Would I be better off to scrape this idea and get a Wow foam Lear Jet?

Thank you very much for any and all responses. (I am just returning to R/C after a long absence and am new to electric and to ducted fans.)
divothead77 is offline Find More Posts by divothead77
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:16 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,630 Posts
Two words................Forget it. (Yes - I have one)

It's too heavy, nevermind the extra weight of fans and batteries.

It would take way too much power to fly it.

The size of the fans would look rediculous. Those nacelles are something like 2 inches across - so even some high powered 70mm fans would look bad.

It would need major engineering to mate fans to it as there are no nacelle stubs to mount to.

Unless you really like a challenge and want to re-engineer half the kit. Forget it. You would be better off scratch building one, building a Royal citation (which would look and fly better on less power anyway), or get a Hero 100 eagle ARF(a slightly enlarged royal citation that has a composite fuse)
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk