SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:17 PM
Joined Apr 2009
5 Posts
Question
Ideas on removing tape/ sticker residue from a fuselage?

ok, two things.

First, I just got a used supra which had an experimental aircraft sticker on the bottom of the fuse. I pulled the sticker off, but now there is a big sticky spot on the bottom of my fuselage which is attracting all kinds of pet hair etc.

Second, I have a Topaz which i needed to ballast during a contest. Having no ballast tube i used sticky-back lead weights. After the contest I removed the weights and i got most of the backing off, but there are still a few spots where the adhesive backed foam is not coming off.

Any ideas on how to clean up my planes is greatly appreciated
tdflyer16 is offline Find More Posts by tdflyer16
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:27 PM
Salt Lake City, Utah
Joined Nov 2004
820 Posts
I use GooGone

http://www.magicamerican.com/googone/products.aspx
Lance Prior is offline Find More Posts by Lance Prior
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:30 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
If you have any rubbing alcohol around you might try that. The higher the isopropyl alcohol content the better it will work.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:48 PM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,787 Posts
The above work pretty good , if that doesnt work acetone works , but might also remove paint.......
Dennis Everett is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Oct 06, 2009, 08:52 PM
Joined Mar 2005
184 Posts
WD 40 , once adhesive is removed then I clean off WD with some
windex or equal .
Ronald Mong is offline Find More Posts by Ronald Mong
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:50 PM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
cigarette lighter fluid

I keep a can of this on hand.. Nope I don't smoke.. .. I get it at Wal-Mart pretty cheap.. Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:12 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
There is (or was) a commercial product from 3M that's like Goo Gone only much stronger. I forget the name.

A bit of heat followed by light abrasion or at least a rag might help.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:13 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdflyer16
ok, two things.

First, I just got a used supra which had an experimental aircraft sticker on the bottom of the fuse. I pulled the sticker off, but now there is a big sticky spot on the bottom of my fuselage which is attracting all kinds of pet hair etc.

Second, I have a Topaz which i needed to ballast during a contest. Having no ballast tube i used sticky-back lead weights. After the contest I removed the weights and i got most of the backing off, but there are still a few spots where the adhesive backed foam is not coming off.

Any ideas on how to clean up my planes is greatly appreciated

91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Works wonders! WAY better than goo-gone and cheap (under $2.00 at Walmart.) Just watch for any paint coming off with it (enamel only, laquer and epoxy paints are fine.)

If you get a bit of color on the rag hit the area with a bit of turtle wax!

* 91% Rubbing alcohol works great at getting covering residue off of covering as well. I use it for general cleaning of my wings after finishing a covering job. Doesn't hurt the film one bit.

** It's also a great glass cleaner, the best in fact. Way cheaper than windex.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:14 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,701 Posts
This (http://www.dtep.com/icky.htm) is the stuff I use. I've given bottles of it to some of my clubmates and they agree that it is the best stuff they've ever used to remove tape residue. I've poured it full strength on foam and it had no effect on the foam. It will leave a bit of an oily file after use but it can easily be removed with rubbing alcohol or if you wait overnight, it seems to evaporate. I think if you try it, you'll never use anything else again.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2009, 11:21 PM
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Joined Nov 2007
249 Posts
the best stuff?

cyno glue" kicker". The kicker( accelerater) works the best for me. When 99% of the gooey stuff is lifted, than use alcohol. RB
Rich Burnoski is offline Find More Posts by Rich Burnoski
Old Oct 07, 2009, 04:44 AM
Central UK
Joined May 2003
187 Posts
I second the cigarette lighter fluid. I used to work in a graphics studio and that's what we used all the time to remove residue adhesive from sticky tape or labels. Doesn't damage painted surfaces either.

Dave.
DACH is online now Find More Posts by DACH
Old Oct 07, 2009, 08:30 AM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,793 Posts
I believe SuperGlue "Accelerator" works too.

Curtis
www.TailwindGliders.com
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2009, 08:43 AM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,728 Posts
Lighter fluid is Naptha. You can get it in quart and gallon cans at the local hardware or home improvement store. It is a great all around cleaner. I too worked in the printing industry and every I smell it I'm transported back. Much cheaper than the lighter fluid cans.

BTW...CA Accelerator contains Heptane, Acetone, N,N-Dialkyltoluidine. The N,N-Dialkyltoluidine is the accelerator. I think the Heptane would be a great solvent too as it is used as rubber cement solvent. Brings back memories of grade school.

Mark
Mark Miller is online now Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Last edited by Mark Miller; Oct 07, 2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 09:41 PM
Somerset, Ohio
Joined Aug 2009
36 Posts
peanut butter works good as well, especially on smooth glassed surfaces etc.

the oil makes it ball up and come right off, no harsh chemicals and it even polishes the surface
bob_goes_gas is offline Find More Posts by bob_goes_gas
Old Nov 02, 2009, 11:26 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
Lighter fluid is Naptha. You can get it in quart and gallon cans at the local hardware or home improvement store. It is a great all around cleaner. I too worked in the printing industry and every I smell it I'm transported back. Much cheaper than the lighter fluid cans.

Mark

Naptha is, by far, 'THE BOMB' for cleaning off residues. Best part is, it doesn't evaporate too fast.
Wipe on with a slightly wet paper towel, let it sit for a minute, and the wipe again.
It works great.

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target