HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2009, 05:26 PM
NC
Joined Oct 2009
7 Posts
Discussion
1/8" Lite Ply

Hello All
I an located in NC, Can anyone tell me of any possible places to get 4 x 8 sheets of 1/8 Lite Ply.

Thanks! RC Redhots
RC REDHOTS is offline Find More Posts by RC REDHOTS
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2009, 06:04 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
Luan Plywood?

Not in that big of sizes for you locally. We have a few plywood only places near here. They go through 1/8 inch plywood like water. Hard to keep in stock due to it being used for concrete forms.

A 1/2 sheet maybe. but not a full sheet.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Oct 06, 2009, 07:37 PM
I post, thread dies!
Georgetown, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2003
205 Posts
If you are somewhat close to Peachtree City in Georgia (Atlanta), Aircraft Spruce carries it in 4x8 sheets, 3mm and 6mm. That is their east coast store.

Link: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/liteply.php

Later!
cwesh is offline Find More Posts by cwesh
Old Oct 06, 2009, 07:59 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,500 Posts
Almost any supplyer of hardwoods will have it. Look for 3-ply Italian Poplar, sometimes called "bender ply" as well.

Chad Veich
Chad Veich is online now Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Oct 07, 2009, 03:50 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Be aware that at least in Europe, for some reason liteply is nearly always 3mm, not 1/8".

Its made of poplar, and its main use is in mobile homes and caravans apparently. Because its just stiff enough, and light (and cheaper than birch IIRC).

I've pretty much given up using it. the quality we could get was poor. thinner birch plus balsa is as stiff light and strong, usually.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Oct 07, 2009, 10:12 AM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
Be aware that at least in Europe, for some reason liteply is nearly always 3mm, not 1/8".

Its made of poplar, and its main use is in mobile homes and caravans apparently. Because its just stiff enough, and light (and cheaper than birch IIRC).

I've pretty much given up using it. the quality we could get was poor. thinner birch plus balsa is as stiff light and strong, usually.
It is also actually 3mm over here as well vintage1. I use it extensively because it is cheaper than balsa, laser cuts about ten times better, and the quality is generally very good. The laser makes it very easy to cut lightening holes in the stuff so that the end result is not much heavier, if any, than balsa. It does have a propensity for warping so I have to keep it stacked and weighted until I'm ready to cut.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 03:35 PM
NC
Joined Oct 2009
7 Posts
Thanks Guys
I did run across the popular ply , but I wasn't sure if I wanted to use it or not.
Most of of the places that I found the lite ply need to ship it by way of truck (4 x 8) , and I didn't want to pay truck freight.
Has any of you used the popular ply?
I have scaled up a HOTS and the wing span is 10' 1 I hope a G 62 will pull it.
All my cad drawings are done for 1/8 and I may have to make some changes.
Any feed back welcome!
Thanks RC REDHOTS
RC REDHOTS is offline Find More Posts by RC REDHOTS
Old Oct 07, 2009, 08:46 PM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,500 Posts
RC REDHOTS,

The light plywood normally associated with the hobby is Poplar, they are the same stuff. Regarding your CAD drawings, I have found that I need to allow for .1125" rather than .125" when designing with the light ply if you want a relatively snug fit on laser cut parts.
Old Oct 07, 2009, 09:22 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,945 Posts
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and in the building supply department where they have plywood and materials like bathroom wall sheeting etc. They have door panels made from thin plywood. Might be useful to you. I use it in my planes all the time.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 07, 2009, 09:24 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy
Go to Lowes or Home Depot and in the building supply department where they have plywood and materials like bathroom wall sheeting etc. They have door panels made from thin plywood. Might be useful to you. I use it in my planes all the time.
It may be ply, but it ain't lite!
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Oct 08, 2009, 07:25 PM
Blue Earth, MN
Joined Nov 2005
205 Posts
I've bought it at both Hobby Lobby craft stores and Michael's
GARY
Meyer56013 is offline Find More Posts by Meyer56013
Old Oct 09, 2009, 12:53 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare
It may be ply, but it ain't lite!
Actually, it is. The product he is referring to is commonly called "door skins", very light ply.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Oct 09, 2009, 10:09 AM
Scale Builder
Joined Jul 2002
2,500 Posts
Door skins and/or Luan plywood are suitable for some modeling applications but are not near the same quality as Italian Poplar plywood in my opinion. Also, the light ply found at the hobby shop or craft store is Poplar. The difference is, at the hobby shop you will pay nearly as much for a 12"x48" piece as you will pay for an entire 4' x 8' sheet at the lumber supply houses. Of course if all you need is a little 6"x12" piece then the hobby/craft stores may be the better option!
Old Oct 09, 2009, 11:33 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich
Door skins and/or Luan plywood are suitable for some modeling applications but are not near the same quality as Italian Poplar plywood in my opinion.
Quite right. Which is why it costs 1/10th as much. It is, however, suitable for a lot of applications where aircraft-grade liteply is used. Especially for formers and doublers that are not seen.

Tom
T_om is online now Find More Posts by T_om
Old Oct 14, 2009, 09:47 AM
United States, NC, Locust
Joined Jul 2001
173 Posts
There is a plywood importer in Mooresville NC that has Italian poplar lite ply and other plywood. It was about $17 for a 4x8 sheet some yrs ago. Door skins of birch or luan are much heavier.
zx32tt
zx32tt is offline Find More Posts by zx32tt