HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2009, 01:25 PM
Higganum, CT
Joined Jun 2009
39 Posts
Discussion
whats difference between mode 1 and mode 2?

im looking at the spektrum brand of transmitters and im trying to figure out what the difference is between mode 1 and 2.

Thanks.
ccflier is offline Find More Posts by ccflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2009, 01:31 PM
I want to bark at the moon
2 weeks in SoCal 2 weeks in WA
Joined Mar 2009
576 Posts
the position of the throttle stick. USA likes mode 2 where the throttle stick is on the left.
guantamanera is offline Find More Posts by guantamanera
Old Oct 06, 2009, 01:35 PM
Higganum, CT
Joined Jun 2009
39 Posts
ah ha...thanks...and is this the saying the same thing as the Heli version and the Airplane version or is that yet another nuisance?
Old Oct 06, 2009, 01:47 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,536 Posts
Mode 2 is best unless you are left-handed.
RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Oct 06, 2009, 03:01 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,134 Posts
FYI:

Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Oct 06, 2009, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
None of the 6 modes, as available for example on an Aurora 9ch, are right nor wrong, simply majority of RC'rs follow their instructor's mode.
Outside USA, most TX are distributed with Mode 1 in lieu of Mode 2 set as default.
Learnt to "Fly" both modes, now use mode 1 with Aircraft as better control is experienced with aerobatics, with mode 2 relegated to some helicopters.
By way of comparison, USA residents drive on the right hand side of the road whereas many other countries drive on the left hand side of the road. (FWIW Western Samoa recently changed their road rules from driving on the right to now on the left) .
More information available on my web page.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 03:41 PM
USA
Joined Sep 2003
967 Posts
"Mode 2 is best unless you are left-handed."

I am shocked that old Chestnut is still being offered.
"Handedness" has zero to do with it----never has!
I fly Mode 1, we have some clubs with many Mode 1 fliers while others have very few.
I can also fly Mode 2 and single stick but Mode 1 is 'best' for me. I simply prefer it.

Why would that have anything to do with the choice?
The difference is strictly throttle and elevator. There is nothing left or right handed about it.
onewasp is offline Find More Posts by onewasp
Last edited by onewasp; Oct 06, 2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 04:00 PM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
I'm left handed, OMG I'm doing it wrong!

DannyZRC is offline Find More Posts by DannyZRC
Old Oct 06, 2009, 04:30 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccflier
ah ha...thanks...and is this the saying the same thing as the Heli version and the Airplane version or is that yet another nuisance?
In most cases, the Heli version will have a throttle without a ratchet, and the Airplane version will have a ratchet on the throttle. In almost all radios, the ratchet can be removed if desired.

Heli versions of radios may also have switches with longer bats, or placed in different positions than the Airplane version. Normally both versions of the same radio will have the same software and can be used in either mode.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Oct 06, 2009, 04:32 PM
Joined Aug 2008
1,015 Posts
I don't think it matters left or right hand, I'm a leftie and use mode 2, however some mode 1 guys say it is better for some reason Like it separates the 2 controlls (elev and aile) But who cares. (I don't) Just choose whatever you think is best for you or whatever your country uses.
lucasavaitor is offline Find More Posts by lucasavaitor
Old Oct 06, 2009, 05:11 PM
Higganum, CT
Joined Jun 2009
39 Posts
was dreaming the other day....and i thought it would be pretty sweet if you could say twist the right hand stick on (what i now understand to be) a mode 2 setup to control the rudder. Seems like it would be a good way to make more coordinated turns.
Old Oct 06, 2009, 05:16 PM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
ccflier, research single stick radios

they provided 3 axis control on a single joystick in exactly the method you describe.
DannyZRC is offline Find More Posts by DannyZRC
Old Oct 06, 2009, 05:50 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
Simply not true.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 06, 2009, 05:50 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,583 Posts
Mode 1 is favored by pattern flyer, separate the ail and ele. There is no right or wrong on the mode selection. Most were influenced by their instructors. If you fly a differ mode than the local flyers, hard to get help.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Oct 06, 2009, 06:59 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccflier
was dreaming the other day....and i thought it would be pretty sweet if you could say twist the right hand stick on (what i now understand to be) a mode 2 setup to control the rudder. Seems like it would be a good way to make more coordinated turns.
I used to fly in the '70's with a World Engines transmitter 3-axis single-stick control on the right hand stick. The rudder control was a knob on the top of the stick (aileron & elevator control like in mode 2). The throttle was by itself on the left-hand side. It made a lot of sense to me, as well - am a bit surprised why it never became more popular.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3