Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 05, 2009, 10:42 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Build Log
4k's 72" Buzzard Bombshell

Well, the people have spoken, and I am proud to announce that the Buzzard Bombshell is the plane chosen for my next vintage project by you, the voters
What we have here is an older 4K's Buzzard Bombshell. It's an older kit, I'm thinking late 60's early 70's, and although it shows either glow or ignition for power, there is no mention or provisions for R/C assist, so I'll be engineering the R/C install on the fly. I'll keep this short for now, I started the fuse last Sunday, and have had just a bit of time last week and tonight to work. It's built according to plan so far, except for the elevator/rudder servo install, as I decided to do that as I was building the fuse to prevent frustration later, and a little "beefing" of the fore and aft wing dowels, as my little .15 Bombshell years ago had the rear peg disengage from the fuse..which kinda let the wing leave the vicinity of the rest of the plane. I'm just a bit paranoid, plus I sometimes have been known to stunt these critters, so it's best to err on the side of prudence. You betcha I'll add a bit of weight to keep the wing in place!!
Well, on to the pics..
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2009, 05:43 PM
Luis Claudio - Rio - Brazil
Brasil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
Very nice building. Im building one also and will follow.
Luis_Claudio is offline Find More Posts by Luis_Claudio
Old Oct 06, 2009, 10:48 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Little more tonight

had about an hour or so to build, got a bit done on the cabin..it's looking a bit more er..um..Bombshellish now, I think.. Got a good closeup of the old kit label too, if anybody's interested..
Cash
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:06 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
Very nice details! The old kit is amazing, also the label!
Old Oct 07, 2009, 12:20 AM
Mmmm...balsa dust!
Casa Grande, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
176 Posts
I built one from that kit back in the '80s. I put an O.S. .40 four cycle in it. Not a speedy plane but fun to fly.

vintagemxr is offline Find More Posts by vintagemxr
Last edited by vintagemxr; Oct 21, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2009, 07:56 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Luis, thanks for the kind words. I popped on over to your build thread, and your Bombshell is looking very good!! Can't wait for the flight report..
Also, the Bombshell that was built by vintagemxr is really sweet too. Always liked the Bombshell.
Might try to do some more tonight, if I'm not too beat..been staying up WAY too late recently, my mind won't accept the fact that I'm 1.3 years away from 50..
Cash
Old Oct 08, 2009, 11:16 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,410 Posts
Old R/C Modeler article
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Oct 09, 2009, 05:04 AM
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
Yes, Im building one also!

But Im having problem with the motor setup, if you could help

Im 36 years old almost 40. The time goes fast friend...

Lets fly to forget about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashRC
Luis, thanks for the kind words. I popped on over to your build thread, and your Bombshell is looking very good!! Can't wait for the flight report..
Also, the Bombshell that was built by vintagemxr is really sweet too. Always liked the Bombshell.
Might try to do some more tonight, if I'm not too beat..been staying up WAY too late recently, my mind won't accept the fact that I'm 1.3 years away from 50..
Cash
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:17 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Here's some more

Well, got a bit more done past 2 weeks. The cowl blocks and sheeting are in place and roughed in, aerial tube is installed, tank compartment is ready for the tank, wing is framed and ready for gussets, dihedral braces, then sheeting and sanding. Would expand more,but it's been a heckufa night..(4 year old, too much apple juice, car ride, upset stomach) I'll leave the rest to ya'll imagination...
Night everybody..
cash
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:08 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
little Buzzard

Lookin good Cash, what a sweet bird. Need decals? Sorry to hear of the little one......hope she's better in the morning. A spoonfull of honey goes along way for upset tummies.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:23 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Thanks Bill...with the Swine Flu running around these parts, I got a little..uhh.."on high alert" when Gracie got sick..she's not running a fever though, and she was pretty chipper when we bathed her and put her to bed, so I think she's okay..car seat took a hit though It's okay, she's just like her old man..ask me the outcome of a backseat "incentive" flight in an F-16D, poptarts and coffee, and the oxygen mask sometime..
Cash "Hurling" Hargett
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:31 PM
Joined Apr 2005
2,392 Posts
I my plans, half of the ribs doesnt reach all wing, one is full, other goes untill the middle of the wing (intercalated)..

Do you have experience in the CG of the BBombshell? I heard from a RCGroups friend it can be 50% =>65% from the LE.

Mine is 73gr and 86cm wingspan to wongspan and I have to decide what eletric motor to put on it..
Old Oct 20, 2009, 04:15 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Luis, if you can, post a pic of your plans and ribs, so I can see what your'e talking about..I think I know what's going on, bu I don't want to give you bad info.
The CG of my Bombshell is showing around 45 percent, depends on what type of flying you want to do. If you want to cruise around the field, I'd set it closer to 35 percent..
cash
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:06 AM
Mmmm...balsa dust!
Casa Grande, AZ
Joined Jan 2005
176 Posts
Looks like you're making good progress. The Buzzard Bombshell seems to be one of those timeless designs that will be built generation after generation by modelers who either love the design or think anything called "The Buzzard Bombshell" deserves to be built.

I actually bought one of those plastic R/C release flour "bomb" thingies for my plane and was going to make a Bombshell that really dropped bombs. Sadly, someone needed my B/B more than I did and it got sold to finance the next project before it was fully armed.

Doug
vintagemxr is offline Find More Posts by vintagemxr
Old Oct 29, 2009, 12:45 PM
USA, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Feb 2001
179 Posts
4-K's Buzzard Bombshell kit

The 4-K's kits are really nice. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a 4-K's kit of the Denny Jr. It is really a beauty. I used to work for Reginald Denny Enterprises, and they have one of these in the show room. I just had to have one. The Buzzard Bombshell is a real beauty. Good luck with it.

Steve
SMCLEM is offline Find More Posts by SMCLEM